PDA

View Full Version : It’s been a long winter

stephenmarklay
03-04-2017, 08:07 PM
I had been doing "pretty good" on the trainer early this winter but then it became more sporadic and it has dwindled down to not much lately.

Even without any fatigue my legs have felt heavy and listless and I decided I would just spin when I felt like it a few times a week. I have kept active doing workouts in the gym and yoga about 2x a week.

Anyway, today there was a bit of a break in winter. The sun was peaking out through the clouds at times and the temps reached the lower 40’s. The road are still wet and there is a ton of gravel and crap on the roads but I suited up and headed out.

What a joy to get back on the road. it was just like every other “first” ride of the season. The bike felt funny beneath me and I felt like a bear at the circus but eventually that went away.

I started to notice little things like my new stem was a little crooked, my new bar tape is cushy, 80 psi is bliss, my newish winter coat and pants are too big now that I dropped 15 pounds etc etc.

The best thing was that my legs no longer felt heavy, in fact I was standing on hills with a fast cadence feeling fine.

I was tired by the end of my shortish 45 miles but mentally refreshed in a way have not been for some time.

I am so happy to have gotten out. I hope you guys in the snow belt are able to soon as well.