PDA

View Full Version : Worn out shoes with Boa/other dial systems

mwynne
03-04-2017, 10:01 AM
Kind of random, but I'm messing around with a non-bike project and want to try retrofitting some boa dials (or similar system) onto some other equipment. Doesn't look like it's the kind of kit that can be purchased (though if anyone has a lead, let me know), so I'm hoping someone out there has some utterly thrashed shoes they no longer need that they'd be willing to part with.
Thanks!

ofcounsel
03-04-2017, 11:23 AM
I probably have some. I'll check when I get home.

ofcounsel
03-04-2017, 11:24 AM
I probably have some. I'll check when I get home. I'm at my sons track meet this morning.

dave thompson
03-04-2017, 11:35 AM
Some Specialized dealers, I suspect larger ones, have Boa repair kits, a box with many parts and pieces to be able to fix/overhaul their Boa equipped shoes. Maybe you build what you want out of the parts.

shovelhd
03-04-2017, 12:48 PM
If you have shoes with Boa dials, you can get new repair kits for free direct from Boa under warranty. They are guaranteed for life. However, it's just the dials, wires, and screws. The posts are part of the footwear.

ofcounsel
03-04-2017, 04:05 PM
If you have shoes with Boa dials, you can get new repair kits for free direct from Boa under warranty. They are guaranteed for life. However, it's just the dials, wires, and screws. The posts are part of the footwear.

True!

mwynne
03-04-2017, 05:50 PM
Aye, that's why I'm after some sacrificial shoes to get the posts

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

CSTRider
03-04-2017, 06:31 PM
I don't see how you could retroactively fit/attach boas to cycling shoes - shoes have to be designed from ground up to fit the boa spool, cable length, cable routing etc.

If you ride SPD shoes, I HIGHLY recommend looking at MX237 shoes ... soft leather uppers, stiff carbon soles, DOUBLE Boas, and plenty of volume for orthotics or after-market insoles. Double boas are essential to properly adjust tension across forefoot, midfoot etc.

Without a doubt the most comfortable shoes i'vw worn in 42 years of riding ... you can get 'em here (https://www.competitivecyclist.com/lake-mx237-shoe-mens?skid=LKC000H-BLA-S45REG&CMP_SKU=LKC000H&MER=0406&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc014&mv_pc=r101&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&CSPID=0914&mr:trackingCode=395C030C-11AE-E311-98C5-001B21BCB944&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=81822462421&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:tid=pla-276211842416&mr:ploc=9028821&mr:iloc=&mr:store=&mr:filter=276211842416&gclid=CjwKEAiA6OnFBRDcgt7YmPKI33ESJACJoTJYm8pXXtxI bMNyGtUItsWFW0ZH0QC3gl_usXKDw88ZZRoCQUPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds).

mwynne
03-04-2017, 06:41 PM
I don't see how you could retroactively fit/attach boas to cycling shoes - shoes have to be designed from ground up to fit the boa spool, cable length, cable routing etc.

If you ride SPD shoes, I HIGHLY recommend looking at MX237 shoes ... soft leather uppers, stiff carbon soles, DOUBLE Boas, and plenty of volume for orthotics or after-market insoles. Double boas are essential to properly adjust tension across forefoot, midfoot etc.

Without a doubt the most comfortable shoes i'vw worn in 42 years of riding ... you can get 'em here (https://www.competitivecyclist.com/lake-mx237-shoe-mens?skid=LKC000H-BLA-S45REG&CMP_SKU=LKC000H&MER=0406&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc014&mv_pc=r101&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&CSPID=0914&mr:trackingCode=395C030C-11AE-E311-98C5-001B21BCB944&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=81822462421&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:tid=pla-276211842416&mr:ploc=9028821&mr:iloc=&mr:store=&mr:filter=276211842416&gclid=CjwKEAiA6OnFBRDcgt7YmPKI33ESJACJoTJYm8pXXtxI bMNyGtUItsWFW0ZH0QC3gl_usXKDw88ZZRoCQUPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds).
It's for a purely non-cycling project, not retrofitting existing shoes

CSTRider
03-04-2017, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=mwynne;2136614]It's for a purely non-cycling project, not retrofitting existing shoes

Sorry - i misunderstood that part ...

shovelhd
03-04-2017, 07:07 PM

The Boa post is a pretty simple device. Fabrication should be cake. I suspect the threads are metric, probably M2.

unterhausen
03-04-2017, 11:03 PM
well, you need the fixed tooth part as well. I guess you could use two dials.

Buy the innards of a DT swiss freehub instead.

ofcounsel
03-04-2017, 11:26 PM

I do have some Lake MX-237s that are completely done. Take a look at the Boa set up on them, and if think you can use them, and want them, PM me.

And I agree with CSTRider, they are the best fitting cycling shoes I've worn. I'm just kind of pissed at Lake's customer service right now, so I'm using some Pearl Izumi X-Alp Lauch II's. Got them on sale for $120. So a good deal. But not as good as the Lakes.

Al

rando
03-05-2017, 07:09 AM
I hope OP understands BOA normally wear out about the time the shoe does. Those little plastic teeth wear down and get very sensitive to what level of sudden or constant tension they can withstand. Also, cycling shoes are just one of thousands of implementations and among the weaker strength/lighter weight variety.

Second also, I can guarantee whatever use you have cooked up they already thought of. Take a glance at the company history before you get visions of sprouting gold teeth 25 years too late.

1995kenblocksgrillheaparentlyscrubbedfromtheintern et.jpg

mwynne
03-05-2017, 01:37 PM
I hope OP understands BOA normally wear out about the time the shoe does. Those little plastic teeth wear down and get very sensitive to what level of sudden or constant tension they can withstand. Also, cycling shoes are just one of thousands of implementations and among the weaker strength/lighter weight variety.

Second also, I can guarantee whatever use you have cooked up they already thought of. Take a glance at the company history before you get visions of sprouting gold teeth 25 years too late.

1995kenblocksgrillheaparentlyscrubbedfromtheintern et.jpg
Yeah, this is a hacky little side project. Being something of an inveterate tinkerer. I like building and modifying my own systems and equipment.

If I could find a new dial kit, that would be my first choice, but so far no luck (any leads would be appreciated!) A more robust system would be preferable, but I have easier access to cyclists with nice gear than skiers, etc.

weisan
03-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Thanks to this thread, i was able to order a free replacement BOA repair kit for my S-Works shoes just a few minutes ago.

__________________________________________________ __
info@boatechnology.com

Hello,

The BOA dial on my beloved Specialized Shoes are worn and won't maintain traction or tighten up anymore. Would you help, please?

Thank you!

Wei San

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Wei,

Thank you for providing a photo of your shoes. Your shoes are equipped with our Low Power Reel S1-M. You can order repair kits for your S1-M system via our guarantee site:

All Boa laces and dials are covered under our warranty for the life of the product they are on. To redeem this warranty please visit our website at https://store.theboasystem.com./warranty.php. The first page will be personal information we require for shipping and identification purposes only, then the second will be the shopping cart where you will find a picture of the dial on the left side that matches your system. Click on the picture to access the parts specific to your system. All parts will be shipped with easy to follow instructions as well as the necessary tools. The cost will zero out as you continue through the process. Once you have completed your shopping and finished the process you will get a receipt of your request via email.

Please contact me if you need additional assistance.

Regards,

Tim

TIM RECHETNIAK
CUSTOMER SERVICE

OFFICE: 303 455 5126 x402
THEBOASYSTEM.COM

https://store.theboasystem.com./images/T/xctmpmafH3T.png

S1-M Parts Kit White
This replacement kit contains 2 replacement dials(1 Left and 1 Right), 2 spools(1 Left and 1 Right), 2 screws, 2 60cm lengths of cut-to-length lace, a tool, and complete replacement instructions. The Specialized S-Works road shoes have 4 reels per pair, so if you need more than one set of replacement parts order accordingly.

weisan
03-17-2017, 08:17 PM
Got the replacement dials in the mail, came with everything I need, the mini tool, a nice diagram with step-by-step instructions....2 minutes later, all done.

Kudos to BOA Technology for making it so simple for their customers.

mwynne
03-17-2017, 08:25 PM
Got the replacement dials in the mail, came with everything I need, the mini tool, a nice diagram with step-by-step instructions....2 minutes later, all done.

Kudos to BOA Technology for making it so simple for their customers.

Good to hear Weisan!
Unfortunately I'd also be after the "post" (or whatever they call the piece that mounts to the uppers of the shoes, and I don't think those are available.

Ronsonic
03-18-2017, 06:28 PM
Good to hear Weisan!
Unfortunately I'd also be after the "post" (or whatever they call the piece that mounts to the uppers of the shoes, and I don't think those are available.

Have you tried contacting them to discuss your application? Depending on the corporate mindset they might be very interested in finding new markets.

shovelhd
03-18-2017, 07:52 PM
Also, some of the BOA's, like the ones on my S-Works shoes, are self contained. They snap into recesses in the shoes as a unit. There is no "post". Check out the S2-S.