PDA

View Full Version : Japan and the love of racing bicycles.

colker
03-04-2017, 07:06 AM
Everytime i read and see anything cycling related coming from Japan, it´s extraordinary.. Detail obsessed fans and collectors. Dreamy shops w/ rare NOS stuff. Custom bikes that go to 11. Cycling clubs and routes in the mountains.
I have not seen a good thread on japanese cycling culture it´s been awhile and unfortunately i have nothing to offer. Does anyone have pics or experiences?

oldpotatoe
03-04-2017, 07:50 AM
Everytime i read and see anything cycling related coming from Japan, it´s extraordinary.. Detail obsessed fans and collectors. Dreamy shops w/ rare NOS stuff. Custom bikes that go to 11. Cycling clubs and routes in the mountains.
I have not seen a good thread on japanese cycling culture it´s been awhile and unfortunately i have nothing to offer. Does anyone have pics or experiences?

Not web based but Japan is a VERY large market for Campagnolo...

colker
03-04-2017, 08:03 AM
Not web based but Japan is a VERY large market for Campagnolo...

Oh yeah! They revere italian bicycles and parts. That´s where the rare campagnolo go at premium prices.
You see kids rebuilding 70s cinellis as their commuters.

AngryScientist
03-04-2017, 08:21 AM
tangentially related, but this was a great thread from several years ago; unfortunately most of the pictures are gone.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=49737

Black Dog
03-04-2017, 08:32 AM
I wonder if the Italians would ever return the favour and revere Shimano? :p

Cicli
03-04-2017, 08:36 AM
I wonder if the Italians would ever return the favour a revere Shimano? :p

Maybe a specialized with sHram?

oldpotatoe
03-04-2017, 08:41 AM
I wonder if the Italians would ever return the favour and revere Shimano? :p

Not a chance..

Jad
03-04-2017, 09:15 AM
Circles' shop stuff (out of Nagoya, Japan) can be interesting to look through to get a taste of some of what you're talking about (I found the shop when searching for images of Hunter CX bikes, then I found more about them on Radavist).

Their Flickr is fun to look through too to see some of what seems a really vibrant CX race scene. There are lots of custom metal bikes with a lot of color--would love to visit and race sometime.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/circles-jp/

colker
03-04-2017, 09:22 AM
Circles' shop stuff (out of Nagoya, Japan) can be interesting to look through to get a taste of some of what you're talking about (I found the shop when searching for images of Hunter CX bikes, then I found more about them on Radavist).

Their Flickr is fun to look through too to see some of what seems a really vibrant CX race scene. There are lots of custom metal bikes with a lot of color--would love to visit and race sometime.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/circles-jp/

It seems they love Hunter there as well. Great buyers: they know a good design when they see it. I don´t love everything about Japan (their values are not mine) but i admire good buyers especially when they also know how to build things.

Clean39T
03-04-2017, 10:32 AM
There's a vintage shop in Bangkok I follow that always has bins and bins of cool stuff and photos posted on their Facebook page. I have a friend who's Thai that tagged me in it and I've been watching stuff pop up every now and then. I can only assume this is a thing in many corners of the world..

jtakeda
03-04-2017, 12:46 PM
I don´t love everything about Japan (their values are not mine) but i admire good buyers especially when they also know how to build things.

Being born in Japan and raised in the US for most my life i tend to agree with the statement. I'm actually going back for the first time in over a decade in June.

We'll see how it goes but I'm definitely hitting blue lug, gira gira chariya etc