PDA

View Full Version : Yes, we must discuss the gummy bears

MattTuck
03-03-2017, 09:20 PM
I actually carried a pack of gummy bears with me on a tough ride last summer (I had received them as a joke gift from my wife last valentine's day) and I do think they were a pretty good and convenient fuel source. I had been planning to use them again, and then saw Sagan inhale a handful of them last weekend.

Apparently, I need a source of European Haribo bears... the American version just won't cut it. I've also heard of a European stroopwafel company that is superior to other stroopwafels (can't remember the name). Any interest in a forum group order? ;)

“You have three transporters of sugar across the small intestine: you have a glucose transporter, a fructose transporter, and a galactose transporter, for milk sugar. The more transporters you can take advantage of, the faster you can raise that blood sugar and get that stuff in you. The European Haribo has more of a combination of fructose and glucose, whereas with the American Haribo, you’re mostly relying on fructose.”

gdw
03-03-2017, 09:31 PM
You should try the sugar free Haribos. Judging from the Amazon reviews they definitely impact your performance.

GScot
03-03-2017, 10:14 PM
You should try the sugar free Haribos. Judging from the Amazon reviews they definitely impact your performance.

Yes, be sure to document any experiences.

Black Dog
03-03-2017, 10:54 PM

Absolutely try them. Rocket fuel.

m_sasso
03-04-2017, 01:02 AM
Got nothing against Gummy Bears however I am more of a Wiggle Worms guy.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BQtjpxFwL.jpg

kookmyers
03-04-2017, 01:17 AM
Would you like to share mine? They are still warm. They've been in my pocket all day.

tuscanyswe
03-04-2017, 04:15 AM
Mmmm i love gummi bears but even they got nothing on "nappar".
I dont tolerate most candy anymore but i used to buy these all the time, for rides ,pre rides and after rides etc :)

https://www.torebrings.se/bilder/artikelbilder/937200.jpg

ultraman6970
03-04-2017, 05:49 AM
it is said that no matter from where the sugar is coming from, sugar is sugar but to me there is a difference between stuff made with sugar cane and other made of beet sugar. And that makes the difference in the flavor, how sweet and even how the body process that sugar. Sweet stuff made of beet sugar is my preference, you need less amount of sugar just to start.

Everywhere I go I try to get their local marshmallows and gummy fruits/bears, a big difference between one country and others ones.

572cv
03-04-2017, 06:45 AM
Someone here is making maple strop waffles! Honey ones are really good too.
Maple syrup has about 66 % sucrose, with small % of fructose and glucose.
Honey has about 38% fructose, 31% glucose 7% maltose and 1% sucrose, and other. Source: wiki. Complex sources of sugars, and tasty.

sandyrs
03-04-2017, 07:22 AM

Hey, if it worked for Boonen at Roubaix...

bikinchris
03-04-2017, 08:23 AM
I actually carried a pack of gummy bears with me on a tough ride last summer (I had received them as a joke gift from my wife last valentine's day) and I do think they were a pretty good and convenient fuel source. I had been planning to use them again, and then saw Sagan inhale a handful of them last weekend.

Apparently, I need a source of European Haribo bears... the American version just won't cut it. I've also heard of a European stroopwafel company that is superior to other stroopwafels (can't remember the name). Any interest in a forum group order? ;)

The ONLY place to get a true stroopwafel is in a day market in the Netherlands. The soggy poor tasting copies sold on this side of the Atlantic only remind you of the real thing. If you can get someone to buy a batch at the market then vacuum pack them to retain the crisp crust and fly back immediately to the USA, then you might be able to taste a real stroopwafel.

MattTuck
03-04-2017, 09:27 AM
Someone here is making maple strop waffles! Honey ones are really good too.
Maple syrup has about 66 % sucrose, with small % of fructose and glucose.
Honey has about 38% fructose, 31% glucose 7% maltose and 1% sucrose, and other. Source: wiki. Complex sources of sugars, and tasty.

I believe that sucrose is just one molecule of fructose and one molecule of glucose, and is cleaved almost instantaneously once in your body. I'm not sure if there is a metabolic difference between eating sucrose and equal parts glucose and fructose.

I vote for maple syrup though :) Best was when my grandfather would make it himself!

572cv
03-04-2017, 10:24 AM
I believe that sucrose is just one molecule of fructose and one molecule of glucose, and is cleaved almost instantaneously once in your body. I'm not sure if there is a metabolic difference between eating sucrose and equal parts glucose and fructose.

I vote for maple syrup though :) Best was when my grandfather would make it himself!

I believe you are right about the sucrose. disacharide, the others are mono?

Anyway, you mentioned MAPLE SYRUP!! My wee little sugarhouse, my evaporator in action (we just finished our second run before the cold snap):

KSCycling
03-04-2017, 10:25 AM
Strop waffles are amazing! My parents would bring them back from Curaçao every year, well before they became popular in the States. But I personally think they are a terrible food for a bike ride. They are so yummy that when they crumble and I lose the smallest tidbit of a crumb, I cry inside. Gels, always gels. Bananas, dates, and I need to try some gummy bears, sounds great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger M
03-04-2017, 10:33 AM
I'm not a Gummy Bear fan, but I do pack fish along on some rides.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/IMG_6717.jpg

jmoore
03-04-2017, 02:18 PM
Fruit snacks are where it's at for me. I'll have to try gummy bears.

shovelhd
03-04-2017, 02:27 PM
Sour Patch Kids.

Tony T
03-04-2017, 02:41 PM
I like these:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81-e3jz4HPL._SY355_.jpg

nmrt
03-04-2017, 03:57 PM
You're correct about the composition.
However, the sites of metabolism of are different. Sucrose is metabolized in the small intestine. Fructose is metabolized primarily by the liver. It can be turned into glucose and be used for energy just like glucose. But unlike glucose where fructose enters the "breakdown of glucose for energy" pathway can make fructose turn into fats without regulation.

djdj
03-04-2017, 04:50 PM
Would you like to share mine? They are still warm. They've been in my pocket all day.

Bueller . . . . Bueller . . . . Bueller

seanile
03-04-2017, 06:09 PM

came here to post that
:hello:

MattTuck
03-04-2017, 08:33 PM

Anyway, you mentioned MAPLE SYRUP!! My wee little sugarhouse, my evaporator in action (we just finished our second run before the cold snap):

That is a sweet (no pun intended) set up. The first year my grand parents tried to do it, probably around 1970) they brought they were boiling the sap outside and then they decided to bring it into the house 'to finish it'... turns out they were no where near done, and the resulting steam in the house caused all the wall paper on the first floor of the house to peel off. They tore the house down a few years later and rebuilt it (it was a civil war era farm house in poor condition, so the wall paper wasn't a huge loss).

How many gallons do you make per year? (or, do you measure in quarts?)

Do you make enough to sell locally? Since my grandfather died, I don't have a family source anymore. Remind me where in Vermont you are again, I might have to ride over to get some of your product.

kramnnim
03-04-2017, 09:39 PM
The Haribo gummy bears from Amazon are supposedly from Germany. The fizzy cola flavor is on sale, just ordered 12 5 ounce packs for $9.

weaponsgrade
03-05-2017, 12:21 AM

That's awesome!

Cyclingtips did a writeup on those gummy bears:

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/03/peter-sagan-refuels-hard-efforts-gummy-bears/

kookmyers
03-05-2017, 12:25 AM
Bueller . . . . Bueller . . . . Bueller

Yay! Someone got it!

pdonk
03-05-2017, 03:39 AM
A local natural living grocery store sells vegan gummy worms. Unfortunately they are bulk so no idea of the brand. The texture is slightly different but the taste is better. I think they are set with pectin rather than gelatin.

Haribos are also on my go to list.

jmal
03-05-2017, 05:20 AM
Whole Foods has good stroopwafels in their bakery section. The ones sold by weight, not prepackaged. My friend in Amsterdam brings stroopwafels every time he visits the US, and there is little if any difference. I tend to be fairly discerning about food, so I was really surprised by how good the Whole Foods version tastes.

Ti Designs
03-05-2017, 05:39 AM
Gotta go with the bears...

572cv
03-05-2017, 07:47 AM
That is a sweet (no pun intended) set up. The first year my grand parents tried to do it, probably around 1970) they brought they were boiling the sap outside and then they decided to bring it into the house 'to finish it'... turns out they were no where near done, and the resulting steam in the house caused all the wall paper on the first floor of the house to peel off. They tore the house down a few years later and rebuilt it (it was a civil war era farm house in poor condition, so the wall paper wasn't a huge loss).

How many gallons do you make per year? (or, do you measure in quarts?)

Do you make enough to sell locally? Since my grandfather died, I don't have a family source anymore. Remind me where in Vermont you are again, I might have to ride over to get some of your product.

MT, Thanks for the nice comments. When you boil off about 30 gallons of liquid to get a gallon of syrup, that's a lot of water vapor, yreah.
Making maple syrup is one of the great ways to get outside in the early spring when the weather is not much good for anything else. We do it the old fashioned way, with buckets, hence a high level of work. So, we don't do it commercially. Sugaring for us has two or three runs (weekends). Its more of a party than an enterprise. We'll make 3, 4, 5 gallons, call it good, and have enough to use all year and give away for presents or trade for honey or something. We're on the other side of the state, in Hinesburg, not far from the Addison County line. There are a lot of local sugarers here, with great product. I'm sure there are plenty down in the Hanover area too. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday look like they might be days for good sap runs. If you are out and about, you can just look for the steam rising in the woods, and stop in to a sugar house. The proprietors are usually happy to have visitors.

Sorry for the thread drift from the main gummy topic!

crankles
03-05-2017, 09:55 AM

oh man...a small tear falls. My sister had a framstead in Mn with a nice stand of Sugar Maple. They did not have such a sweet set up as this, just the large pan setup outside over a fire. A good year for them would be about 12 Gal. I really thing the limiting factor was just the labor!

She sold the farm recently but had kept me well stocked in syrup for years.
it was fun comparing the syrups from one season to the next. Single origin Syrup. Very different from the blended stuff.

Keep it up. Maple Gummies anyone?

crankles
03-05-2017, 10:02 AM
You're correct about the composition.
However, the sites of metabolism of are different. Sucrose is metabolized in the small intestine. Fructose is metabolized primarily by the liver. It can be turned into glucose and be used for energy just like glucose. But unlike glucose where fructose enters the "breakdown of glucose for energy" pathway can make fructose turn into fats without regulation.

this is pretty significant. there are quite a few papers out there regarding various sugar metabolism rates..and as to the best ratio of sugars to maximize gut uptake of fluids (the basis of OSMO and Skratch drinks).

cool stuff.

choke
03-05-2017, 10:03 AM
A friend of mine claims these are hands down the best gummys out there. http://www.bissingers.com/category/Bissingers-Gummy-Pandas-Lover

They are crazy expensive though.

572cv
03-05-2017, 10:51 AM
oh man...a small tear falls. My sister had a framstead in Mn with a nice stand of Sugar Maple. They did not have such a sweet set up as this, just the large pan setup outside over a fire. A good year for them would be about 12 Gal. I really thing the limiting factor was just the labor!

She sold the farm recently but had kept me well stocked in syrup for years.
it was fun comparing the syrups from one season to the next. Single origin Syrup. Very different from the blended stuff.

Keep it up. Maple Gummies anyone?

This certainly rings true- the limiting factor is the labor, and its patience and motivation, natch. 12 gallons is solid production! Hmm. Maple gummies.....

Masaoshiro
03-05-2017, 12:02 PM
I always carry gummi candy with me for rides over 50 miles.
I feel that they do metabolize fairly quick! Quicker than the guy eating a snickers thats for sure.

justindcady
03-06-2017, 02:07 PM
The Haribo gummy bears from Amazon are supposedly from Germany. The fizzy cola flavor is on sale, just ordered 12 5 ounce packs for $9.

Specifically, the bag that's has the print in German. There's a local German market that will sometimes get the "real" ones depending on distributor used. The ones in English that say "made in Germany" aren't any different than the ones you can buy at your local grocery store. Look at the ingredient list...totally different. Fruit Juices vs. not any evidence of fruit juice.

teleguy57
03-24-2017, 03:03 PM
And now, joining Trek and Powertap (and there are a lot more) for cycling goodies manufactured in WI, I present Gummy Bears! (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gummy-bear-giant-haribo-to-build-first-north-american-manufacturing-facility/)

R3awak3n
03-24-2017, 03:26 PM
I just had a bag of haribo sour gummy bears and they are excellent