PDA

View Full Version : Colnago identification

alrsv1
03-02-2017, 07:19 PM
Hi all. This is my first post here so hello. :)

Predictability I'm looking for info on this Colnago. I'm afraid I know very little about the the brand and the particular models.

It's been repainted but was originally a green colour with chrome lugs.

It has a serial number on the dropout B686 and 'Colnago' stamped on the bb shell. tips and droupouts are also stamped 'Colnago'.

Has a number plate hanger and the downtube feels slightly oversize. Seat tube is either 27 or 27.2.

Pretty light although my scales are broken right now so can't be more exact than that.

The guy who painted thinks it may of had the word 'Competition' written somewhere.

I'm interested to know the model, year and if possible what tubing it's made from. Also wondering what running gear it may have come with originally?

Thanks in advance....

Al.

colker
03-02-2017, 07:21 PM
Very HOt Colnago!
I love white colnagos...

RobJ
03-03-2017, 12:06 PM
First off welcome to the forum. Stick around. This is pretty good place. Second nice find on the Colnago. Paint job looks to be pretty good and everything in good shape.

There are number of things I noted that could help with the classification. The lack of original paint or lugworks clouds it some. I would tend to believe this is a Super possibly a Super PIU and somewhere in the mid-90's. Here are my random notes/thoughts to help reach some determination:

Not a Master - Master had shaped/fluted Gilco tubes
Clover stamps on BB and stay ends match Super's
Super PIU = no Colnago stamped chainstays
Internal routed top tube cable = Super PIU (Sprint even?)
Earlier models of Super had chromed sloping fork, not straight Precisa (dating)
Various models had 'Competition' label

Is there only bottle braze-ons on the seattube? Hard to tell. Also what's rear spacing, that helps with timeline?

If it is a Super PIU those were Tange DB tubing, not Columbus. The number hanger also would indicate a team bike, so this could even be a one-off version for someone. I don't claim to be an expert and could be off on a few things, but hopefully this gets the ball rolling.

colker
03-03-2017, 12:58 PM
First off welcome to the forum. Stick around. This is pretty good place. Second nice find on the Colnago. Paint job looks to be pretty good and everything in good shape.

There are number of things I noted that could help with the classification. The lack of original paint or lugworks clouds it some. I would tend to believe this is a Super possibly a Super PIU and somewhere in the mid-90's. Here are my random notes/thoughts to help reach some determination:

Not a Master - Master had shaped/fluted Gilco tubes
Clover stamps on BB and stay ends match Super's
Super PIU = no Colnago stamped chainstays
Internal routed top tube cable = Super PIU (Sprint even?)
Earlier models of Super had chromed sloping fork, not straight Precisa (dating)
Various models had 'Competition' label

Is there only bottle braze-ons on the seattube? Hard to tell. Also what's rear spacing, that helps with timeline?

If it is a Super PIU those were Tange DB tubing, not Columbus. The number hanger also would indicate a team bike, so this could even be a one-off version for someone. I don't claim to be an expert and could be off on a few things, but hopefully this gets the ball rolling.

Tecnos? Those semi horiz drop outs say 90s bike.

RobJ
03-03-2017, 01:24 PM
Yes possible thought on that too since some Technos have the internal routed cable.

OP - you can also drop Laura @ Colnago and email with some pictures and she will help try to identify as well. Laura at colnago dot com

wallymann
03-03-2017, 07:12 PM
short drop-out does suggest mid '90s, but not a tecnos -- does not have lightly grooved top/down tubes.

maybe a super/superissimo? not sure how late they kept producing those.

does the downtube or seattube have internal rifling a-la SLX/SPX?

also, i notice a couple lugs have the fancy star/multi-point design.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697935613&stc=1&d=1488503664

jtakeda
03-03-2017, 07:32 PM
Im thinkin a Super from the 90s.

I dont think Superissimos ever came with a precisa fork

wallymann
03-03-2017, 07:39 PM
found a couple more with the same details, but no clear ID on model, but it is made of columbus brain tubing.

edit: seems to be a later superissimo, which were made of brain (instead of SLX from the earlier superissimo) and the balance of details for late superissimo are consistent with yours.

https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/content/images/thumbs/0004738_colnago-brain-frame-55cm.jpeg

colker
03-03-2017, 07:56 PM
Crystal? Maybe?

wallymann
03-03-2017, 09:41 PM
Crystal? Maybe?

nope, crystal has flattened top/down tubes among numerous other differences.

alrsv1
03-04-2017, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the replies, most informative.

Just to confirm a couple of details and see if it matches with what you're all thinking so far.

Def not SLX, no ridges.

It does have water bottle bosses on the seat tube as well as down tube.

Just to be awkward the rear spacing measures neither 126 or 130, more like 128.So not sure if its a 126 that's been slightly spread or a 130 that's been squashed. I assumed it would be 130 as it feels like a later frame, light, oversize tubes etc.. A modern wheel went in fairly easy though, barely had to spread it.

If it was the later superissimo as suggested does that mean it should be 130?
The picture of the superissimo certainly looks the same, apart from the missing number hanger.

Will email Laura at Colnago to see what she comes up with, good suggestion.

cheers....

wallymann
03-04-2017, 04:30 PM
here are a couple more examples, these also with number-tabs:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3272/2557325997_2246f40809_b.jpg
https://saarf00.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/0251.jpg

alrsv1
03-05-2017, 12:14 AM
Sweet, I guess that settles it then. We have a winner.

Many thanks for the input. looking forward to building it now.

wildboar
03-05-2017, 08:14 AM
Anything with the stamped bottom bracket shell like that and a straight fork would be 130mm spacing. The catalog I have from the first year the Master Olympic came out shows a Columbus SL SuperPiu but that has a curved fork. So I'd double down on it being a Superissimo with (maybe) an Art Decor paint job that said competition on it.

RobJ
03-05-2017, 08:31 PM
I don't think the fork can be used as the decisive factor here. I agree the Superissimo is a good shot too, but I have seen plenty of Superissimo's with the sloping chromed fork and plenty of Super's with the straight Precisa fork.

cachagua
03-05-2017, 08:51 PM
I understand your curiosity but -- no matter what it is, it's BEAUTIFUL!

(Did the person you got it from have another?)

One seriously gorgeous frame there. Ride it in good health!

And as Kurt Vonnegut used to say, welcome to the monkey house.

alrsv1
03-07-2017, 04:15 PM
Thanks bud. The person I got it from has a collection you would not believe,
which includes Olympic gold medal winning track bikes from 1984, and other one-offs.

But they're all in here in Sydney.