PDA

View Full Version : Rapha Socks

stephenmarklay
03-02-2017, 10:28 AM
I am looking at the MERINO SOCKS and wondered how they wear for you guys that have them. There are a lot of good reviews but there are a few that say they just fall apart.

What says you?

FlashUNC
03-02-2017, 10:29 AM
I've got their wool city socks. Have held up great. Wearing them today in the office actually.

bicycletricycle
03-02-2017, 10:44 AM
they seem to make a few different types of socks, thicknesses, heights, etc...

I have 4 or 5 pairs, they have been okay overall, a few holes have appeared in my thinner pairs and a taller thicker pair has lost a lot of elasticity in the cuff.

I have a lot of wool socks from all sorts of brands and the rapha ones have been a little sub par in general when compared to my other pairs (patagonia, lorpen, smartwool, etc.)

not so bad that I wont buy them in the future though.

malcolm
03-02-2017, 10:57 AM
only need to know one name is socks. Darn Tough made in Vermont

pinoymamba
03-02-2017, 11:01 AM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41krKPhaI4L._SY355_.jpg

these are my go-to in the winter.

heartattackride
03-02-2017, 11:17 AM
I've had 4-5 pairs and agree they don't last as long as others but not by much. But I their feel so for me it is worth it...but I only buy when on sale or with coupon.

stephenmarklay
03-02-2017, 11:46 AM

Yep I have these but the styles/colors are limited

tiretrax
03-02-2017, 11:46 AM
I was given a pair as a gift. I love the weight and feel of them. I have no complaints about their performance, but they do rotate with 30 other pairs of cycling socks.

DRZRM
03-02-2017, 12:25 PM
I've got a couple pairs that I've worn pretty hard (biking and casually, they are good looking socks) and they have held up admirably against wear and repeated machine washing and drying (yes I hand wash and hang dry merino jerseys, but socks are too much trouble). On par with DarnTough and Swiftwick, better than Smartwool and Icebreaker.

I am looking at the MERINO SOCKS and wondered how they wear for you guys that have them. There are a lot of good reviews but there are a few that say they just fall apart.

What says you?

pdmtong
03-02-2017, 01:49 PM
First, buy Rapha socks in a bundled price or on sale. not one or two at a time.

Second, they last as long or longer than alternatives but often look better.

What does not last is Smartwool. That brand has terrible longevity for me or my wife.

Mzilliox
03-02-2017, 02:34 PM
every other wool sock i have tried has been better, the brevet socks especially suck

franswa
03-02-2017, 03:14 PM

This.

Lovetoclimb
03-02-2017, 05:23 PM
They last well enough but I've found Defeet is much more value for the money and made here in NC to boot!

Louis
03-02-2017, 05:42 PM
I don't think they're that bad.

CNY rider
03-02-2017, 06:00 PM
They're just fine, but not outstanding.
I prefer Boure socks and they cost less.

stephenmarklay
03-02-2017, 09:29 PM
They're just fine, but not outstanding.
I prefer Boure socks and they cost less.

I don’t think Boure still has the wool socks I bought a long time ago but I have a pair that even have holes and I still love them. Maybe my favorite socks ever.

AJosiahK
03-02-2017, 10:00 PM
I've got a bunch of sets of Rapha socks and zero issues with holes.

Really like the wool city set

Cut your toenails would be my advice to those with toes sticking out...

CNY rider
03-03-2017, 05:14 AM
I don’t think Boure still has the wool socks I bought a long time ago but I have a pair that even have holes and I still love them. Maybe my favorite socks ever.

Bummer.
Those are exactly the ones I'm talking about. Still have 2 pair that are indestructible.

El Chaba
03-03-2017, 06:29 AM
They last well enough but I've found Defeet is much more value for the money and made here in NC to boot!

They wear like iron and never seem to develop thin spots, etc....great product....

AngryScientist
03-03-2017, 06:43 AM
i would agree that the Rapha socks are OK, but not excellent.

i feel like smartwool used to make a good, durable sock, but their current offerings are not as durable by a long shot, they wear through quickly.

darn tough are my current favorites.

you could go broke paying full price for any of these though, i usually wait for a sale at the local REI or Campmor and buy a few pairs.

just this past weekend i threw out a pair of REI branded wool socks that i absolutely loved, but had totally worn out. they werent the most durable socks by far, but they were oh-so-comfortable and just the right weight. i may buy another few pairs of them, even though they wore out kinda quick, they were great while they lasted.

Bling
03-03-2017, 10:31 AM
The ProTeam are excellent. Best socks going, lots of colours to match every kit!

ojingoh
03-03-2017, 01:48 PM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41krKPhaI4L._SY355_.jpg

these are my go-to in the winter.

This.

tumbler
03-03-2017, 02:20 PM
I have a pair of the merino socks and they are just ok. They aren't overly soft and did pill quite a bit after a few washes. Maybe I should be handwashing but aint nobody got time for that.

I like the Pro Team socks better... although one pair of those tore a seam almost immediately. I shot them an email and they got a new pair over to me very quickly. I'd say their socks overall are good, but not the best out there.

tchapman
03-12-2017, 06:30 AM
Like many of you have already said I would rank Rapha merino sock quality as ok, I'm drawn to the colors and styles, they seem to be durable, but like many things I buy from Rapha the sizing is off, my last pair of XL merino socks fit very snug not just in length but around the ankle too, I'm a size 13 (47).

berserk87
03-12-2017, 08:10 AM
I have a pair of the City socks. They are comfortable. I don't wear them for riding. I have become a wool sock convert and wear wool socks all of the time now, off of the bike. I rotate mine enough that they don't see a ton of wear. They are thin and I doubt that they would last a long time, like the Woolie Boolie's.

I would rate them at about a B- overall.

I have a ton of Woolie Boolie socks. I usually wear Woolie's when riding. Some of the older pairs that I own have gotten thinner over the years, but no holes yet. I wear the "thinner" pairs for warmer weather riding.

The socks we got through the forum are dandy and I dig 'em. My favorite "comfort" wool socks are those made by Chrome Industries, but they do wear more quickly. They are the cat's meow in terms of comfort. I wear mine as dress socks (the black ones, anyway).

Castelli has some very comfortable wool blend socks, but they also don't last very long. Great in terms of comfort though.

I need to give Darn Tough a try. I have not yet and have heard good things.

stephenmarklay
03-12-2017, 08:19 AM
I am kind of blah on darn tough. I had one pair that while were my size were too small after a few washings. I sent them back (that is why you pay so much) they sent me a different lighter sock that I don’t want and are going back.

Meanwhile I bought and have been using a different darn tough sock. I like the style but after maybe a month they are pilling pretty bad.

.RJ
03-12-2017, 08:53 AM
My thinner rapha socks have all fallen apart within a year or two under regular use, and many of my thin merino rapha base layers have gotten holes in them. I still buy them, but they are not really durable. The thick winter & deep winter socks are going strong.

Smartwool socks have lasted way longer for me, at least twice as long. Much prefer those.

makoti
03-12-2017, 08:59 AM
I have the City, Lightweight, and Pro Team socks.
I wear the City most, but least for riding.
The Lightweight are thin & cool, but not as comfortable as the City or PT. Even the short are a bit too tall for my tastes.
The PT are much more snug & comfy. I only have one pair, but I'll get more when on sale.

daker13
03-12-2017, 10:36 AM
I echo comments about Smartwool... ime, ridiculously short-lived.

I'm a little blown away that so many people buy Rapha socks. I'm devoted to REI just-above-the-ankle socks, mine have lasted well.

Anyone use sock liners anymore? I notice French tennis players wear them, and I wear them hiking and on the bike, too, sometimes.

pdmtong
03-12-2017, 01:40 PM
I echo comments about Smartwool... ime, ridiculously short-lived.

I'm a little blown away that so many people buy Rapha socks. I'm devoted to REI just-above-the-ankle socks, mine have lasted well.

Anyone use sock liners anymore? I notice French tennis players wear them, and I wear them hiking and on the bike, too, sometimes.

I would be blown away if people paid full price for rapha socks. on sale, they are a good value

adub
03-12-2017, 01:48 PM
Darn Tough and Icebreaker are lifetime warrantied socks.

campy man
03-12-2017, 10:46 PM
I would be blown away if people paid full price for rapha socks. on sale, they are a good value

This ... I bought a few pairs when on sale and like them a bunch with no issues. Sadly, these are the only items I can afford made by Rapha :(

floxy1
03-13-2017, 04:16 AM
Have several pairs of Rapha socks and they are very nice. On the thinner side so I don't wear them below 50. I prefer Pearl Izumi merino socks.

titans
03-13-2017, 04:52 AM
Great socks. Have them for years and at $15 for low cut and $20 for the higher cut socks they are competitively priced. Also 100% wool. Don't think the others are.

belopsky
03-13-2017, 05:28 AM
Darn Tough are good, but I've never bought their thinner..cycling (specific?) ones.

The Rapha ones I have are fine, but they're not wool..

Never tried Ibex..Smartwool wear through easily I think- this was with the smartwool run phd