PDA

View Full Version : group ride starts back this sat

Tickdoc
03-02-2017, 08:46 AM
and I don't think I'm gonna go :~(

My knee is still wonky and I feel like hammering back with the group may not be in the cards this week. Been dwelling on it all week.

Want to see a gross hairy leg video of the knee in question?

watch right in the middle towards the right and you can see it pop.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/th_IMG_0755_zpsy8gumfey.mp4 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/IMG_0755_zpsy8gumfey.mp4)

Thinking of another fitting to see if something has gradually changed in my fit or position that may help.

any ideas?

MattTuck
03-02-2017, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't look to a fitter to solve this. Look to a physical therapist and what you've been doing off the bike to get yourself well balanced, flexible and strong.

superbowlpats
03-02-2017, 09:02 AM
Shave those legs. you're giving up a lot of free watts ;)

FlashUNC
03-02-2017, 09:06 AM
Popping ain't gonna be fixed by a fit.

sandyrs
03-02-2017, 09:12 AM
Go to the doctor. Jesus.

Tickdoc
03-02-2017, 09:14 AM
I wouldn't look to a fitter to solve this. Look to a physical therapist and what you've been doing off the bike to get yourself well balanced, flexible and strong.

I've gone back to resistance stretching over the last month or so to see if that will help. So far it is great as long as I don't ride, but as soon as I start pedalling it goes pop pop pop for about 5-10 min, then it seems to go away be be less noticeable.

Post ride evenings are when it starts to hurt though. frustrating as hell.

I can't link it to anything causing it to act up though....and this is my good knee!

thanks for suggestions.

sandyrs
03-02-2017, 09:18 AM
I've gone back to resistance stretching over the last month or so to see if that will help. So far it is great as long as I don't ride, but as soon as I start pedalling it goes pop pop pop for about 5-10 min, then it seems to go away be be less noticeable.

Post ride evenings are when it starts to hurt though. frustrating as hell.

I can't link it to anything causing it to act up though....and this is my good knee!

thanks for suggestions.

I hear ya. Joint problems are super frustrating, especially when the pain onset isn't immediate. I have chronic tendinitis in both elbows and every once in a while they'll both start to feel sore and weak for no reason, and I have to think back to what I did that day to cause it. That's why I suggested a doctor- you want to know what's actually going on in that knee.

thwart
03-02-2017, 09:25 AM
This. And maybe something like this for awhile.
http://lgcdn.hockeymonkey.com/80A850/hockey/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/o/homerun-mueller-patella-stabilizer-knee-brace.jpg

Tickdoc
03-02-2017, 09:31 AM
This. And maybe something like this for awhile.
http://lgcdn.hockeymonkey.com/80A850/hockey/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/o/homerun-mueller-patella-stabilizer-knee-brace.jpg

Ive got three braces from my knee surgery. tried a nike one very similiar to what you have pictured and it does nothing for the pop. My knee pops right through it :eek: Also tried sleeping with my favorite old ace bandage, and also no relief.

http://www.optomo.com.au/uploaded/thumbnails/Ace-Knee-Brace-Side-Stabilizer_1906_640x640.jpg

Tony
03-02-2017, 11:09 AM
Ive got three braces from my knee surgery. tried a nike one very similiar to what you have pictured and it does nothing for the pop. My knee pops right through it :eek: Also tried sleeping with my favorite old ace bandage, and also no relief

Don't know if this knee has been an issue for awhile, regardless I would see a orthopedic surgeon/sports specific doctor get some advice.

Ti Designs
03-02-2017, 12:57 PM

Could we set the bar for fitters any lower? Some of us still know how to tie our shoes...

As machines go, the knee isn't that complicated - it's a pivot. If someone can't grasp how it functions, being a bike fitter was a bad career choice. What makes it complicated is that it's a somewhat defective pivot (medial and lateral condiles don't have the same radius) and the pivot above it and below it are also defective by design.

The orthopedic's job is to deal with a joint that's broken. They're very limited in what they can do, and the insurance company is fighting them every step - you have another leg, why can't you just use that one???

The PT's job is to work on the function of the joint, as it is used in it's basic functions. They can help in building strength of the muscles that move the joint, they can help in building connective tissue, they can even help to generate a clean orbit for the joint.

The fitter's job is to make the body work with the bike - it's not the same as working in it's natural setting. It's one of the few cases where the travel of a limb is dictated by a machine. Simply put, pushing a pedal around is called exercise, having a pedal move the body in a way that it doesn't want to go is called injury. So few people, including a lot of bike fitters, just don't get that point. Another case of a machine that dictates the travel of a limb is called a passive motion machine, they are used for rehab of joints. Here's the funny thing: If the fitter knows what they're doing, and the client actually listens (not a given), the bike makes for a pretty good rehab machine.