PDA

View Full Version : what's the word on leather saddles and wet weather?

AngryScientist
03-01-2017, 08:26 PM
it's become readily obvious that i need to dedicate a rain bike. full fenders, foul weather tires, the whole bit.

the most obvious choice for this in my stable is my BMC. I really love the leather saddle on it, it's so comfortable.

is it inadvisable to run a leather saddle on a bike that sees wet rides often?

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mz_VVnALljA/VvgkQq7XS6I/AAAAAAAACZU/wqpuX6YLeS41yWLQ4m1VLCbM1bqypW-ig/s1100/IMG_1386.JPG

verbs4us
03-01-2017, 08:33 PM
For years my daily rider had a wonderful Ideale 90 saddle, and it saw all kinds of glop from the skies. I pretty much avoided all sensible leather maintenance and took no precautions (except, oddly, wrapping it in a plastic bag if the bike was in the roof rack and rain threatened). After about 10 years, the leather rotten and ripped away from the rivets and that was that. The Ideale was a fine saddle but nowhere as well made as modern Brooks and Berthouds. So if you plan for ~a 10-year lifespan, you might not be disappointed. With sensible maintenance you might get 20 years.

Ray
03-01-2017, 08:35 PM
I used to ride a Brooks in the rain all the time. But you really want fenders to keep the bottom of the saddle dry and some kind of cover to keep the to from getting soaked. Getting them a bit wet isn't a big deal - you're sweating on them all the time anyway. But you really don't want to completely drench them - that's when they really get stretched out.

-Ray

johnmdesigner
03-01-2017, 08:36 PM
The men in the trenches in WWI wore leather hobnail boots and stood in water for weeks at a time and only got trench foot and lost their toes.
They don't find many of the men in the trenches these days but they do still find the boots in decent condition after all these years.
So please, abuse it. It's leather.:D

Hilltopperny
03-01-2017, 08:39 PM
I've used a Brooks team pro for plenty of wet rides. I just make sure the proof hide it often. I'd imagine that any type of bees wax or something similar should keep it from absorbing too much moisture. I've also read that you should always let it naturally dry.

Dale Alan
03-01-2017, 08:43 PM
Leather is fine if treated well. I use a beeswax blend on the underside,more wax than oil so it does not get overly saturated and soft from too much oil.

moobikes
03-01-2017, 09:12 PM
I would advise against using a leather saddle without using a waterproof saddle cover. The wet leather will stretch and deform a lot more than it would under dry conditions and the resulting shape may not please your butt. Durability may not be reduced much but the saddle itself will certainly not feel the same as one that has been kept dry.

Ken Robb
03-01-2017, 09:25 PM
If my butt is on my Brooks on a ride I only need worry about spray from underneath. After all Brooks are from England where rain is not an unusual weather report.

rwsaunders
03-01-2017, 09:37 PM
Shove one of these in your jersey pocket on rainy days and keep the bottom of the saddle treated.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/brooks-saddle-cover?adl=1&gclid=CL7NoPvxttICFVmBswodxE0MYg

gasman
03-01-2017, 09:43 PM
I had only one decent bike from '73-'96. An old PX-10E. I used fenders on it during the rainy season in Oregon, all months that end in "R" . Treated my Brooks Pro saddle with Proofide regularly and never had a problem. That saddle took a decade to break in properly. Thick hide cow I guess.

Ken Robb
03-01-2017, 11:09 PM
I had only one decent bike from '73-'96. An old PX-10E. I used fenders on it during the rainy season in Oregon, all months that end in "R" . Treated my Brooks Pro saddle with Proofide regularly and never had a problem. That saddle took a decade to break in properly. Thick hide cow I guess.

Or skinny-ass rider. :D

PacNW2Ford
03-02-2017, 12:46 AM
Only if you include Januaryer, Februaryer, Marcher, Apriler, Mayer and Junearyer...:crap:

marciero
03-02-2017, 04:27 AM
I have several Brooks and and one Berthoud I've used off and on for years. My take is that generally they can get a little wet and be okay, like on a commuter/foul weather bike where not more than a couple hours with butt in the saddle. The extreme is getting it soaked and then riding it for many hours. This happened on one ride with a Berthoud, and it deformed quite a bit. It's still very comfortable, maybe more so in a way.
On my brevet bike I always keep a saddle cover with me. Putting that on does make a difference, even though it is not 100% waterproof. Some of this depends how ocdc you are about these things. I bought a newish Brooks here on PL and was quite obsessed with keeping the beautiful green from darkening from moisture. Of course, every time I rode the thing it seemed to rain.

numbskull
03-02-2017, 04:53 AM
I would advise against using a leather saddle without using a waterproof saddle cover. The wet leather will stretch and deform a lot more than it would under dry conditions and the resulting shape may not please your butt. Durability may not be reduced much but the saddle itself will certainly not feel the same as one that has been kept dry.

This. I ruined a titanium Brooks pro in 1 day during a 12 hour L'Eroica marathon with interspersed heavy rain. The saddle had been SnoSealed underneath and treated on top. It absorbed enough water to soften and sink about 1.5cm. Some might just call this broken in (it did not sag) but the drop in sit bone support resulted in increased perineal pressure when in the drops and I had to have it recovered (which hasn't worked that well).

Once you get a leather saddle to where it fits well, go to pains to keep it dry.

Dale Alan
03-02-2017, 06:20 AM
If my butt is on my Brooks on a ride I only need worry about spray from underneath. After all Brooks are from England where rain is not an unusual weather report.
+1
Thats why I give the underside a little beeswax treatment.I have leather saddles over 100 years old that are still fine,I am sure they saw plenty of rain through the years. With a little care leather will last many many years.

merckx
03-02-2017, 06:25 AM
This. I ruined a titanium Brooks pro in 1 day during a 12 hour L'Eroica marathon with interspersed heavy rain. The saddle had been SnoSealed underneath and treated on top. It absorbed enough water to soften and sink about 1.5cm. Some might just call this broken in (it did not sag) but the drop in sit bone support resulted in increased perineal pressure when in the drops and I had to have it recovered (which hasn't worked that well).

Once you get a leather saddle to where it fits well, go to pains to keep it dry.

I had a similar experience. A NOS Brooks Pro that I had treated over and under with Proofhide. One century with a deluge in the midst was enough to permanently deform the saddle. I did not have mudguards mounted, but a handsome saddlebag kept the rear flank shielded, but no matter. It got soaked and that was that.

El Chaba
03-02-2017, 06:48 AM
The old Ideale "Rebour treated" saddles seemed to have quite a bit of extra protection against the wet. This old saddle (I have no idea how old, but it's a good one) has a particularly waxy feeling to the leather...both on top and bottom. Like any nice old equipment, I wouldn't subject it to a deluge intentionally, but I've gotten it pretty wet a few times and it seems to mostly repel water...Once I got it back in shape. I have no clue what the previous owner(s) had subjected it to prior to my re-shaping project....
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=162345

merckx
03-02-2017, 06:56 AM
I was intrigued when I saw that Ideale saddles will be resurrected. I contacted the folks in France about a month ago who confirmed this development. IIRC, they will be available later this year. I had an 80 on my Moto in the 70's that was undeservedly abused, and comfortable as hell. I may spring for a 90 if they become available.

oldpotatoe
03-02-2017, 09:07 AM
The men in the trenches in WWI wore leather hobnail boots and stood in water for weeks at a time and only got trench foot and lost their toes.
They don't find many of the men in the trenches these days but they do still find the boots in decent condition after all these years.
So please, abuse it. It's leather.:D

Yup, works ok on a cow...just don't wear white shorts.:eek:

classtimesailer
03-02-2017, 09:50 AM
If you're going to put fenders on your BMC, you can go ahead and leave the Brooks on it. Keep the Brooks cover tucked under the saddle and use it if it really pours. If it pours during your ride and you don't have fenders, I suggest that you ride out of the saddle.

gasman
03-02-2017, 09:51 AM
Or skinny-ass rider. :D

Well that's true too :D

ColonelJLloyd
03-02-2017, 10:03 AM
If you ride a wet leather saddle it will deform/damage it. A waterproof rain cover is part of my tool kit for any bike with a leather saddle.

malcolm
03-02-2017, 10:56 AM
I've ruined a couple brooks saddles over the years. They take wet ok, but if you saturate them and continue to ride it'll deform and never be the same.

I always carry a plastic bag and some rubber bands with me and will cover it up when the rain starts.
I'm a pretty heavy sweater and back when I used to do the hotter n hell hundred every year I covered my saddle then as I stretched one out from sweat alone first time I did HHH.

I'll add the only brooks I've used is the B-17 so not sure if the above extrapolates or not.

palincss
03-02-2017, 02:03 PM
it's become readily obvious that i need to dedicate a rain bike. full fenders, foul weather tires, the whole bit.

the most obvious choice for this in my stable is my BMC. I really love the leather saddle on it, it's so comfortable.

is it inadvisable to run a leather saddle on a bike that sees wet rides often?

Put a cover on it when it rains. But do make sure you have those fenders.

john903
03-02-2017, 02:56 PM
Yup I agree with everyone on putting fenders on and trying to keep the underneath dry. I have had and use a Brooks B17 and Brooks pro which I choped and added a slot like a Brooks imperial. My all around bike has fenders and I keep a plastic grocery bag under the seat if the weather looks iffy.
One thing no one has mentioned is drying them out after a wet ride. If you dry them to fast they could be damaged as well. I let my saddle dry out slowly siting in the shop for a day or so. Don't try to dry them out fast using a hair dryer or some other means even direct sunlight as in passive solar heat. I have seen a saddle that was dried out to quickly but we did save it using copious amounts of saddle soap and leather treatment.
Have a great day.

Masaoshiro
03-02-2017, 03:30 PM
Just get a Cambium!
Ive had multiple saddles from Brooks and the cambiums are def superior!
Less break in time, upkeep & weighs less!

gasman
03-02-2017, 03:31 PM
Only if you include Januaryer, Februaryer, Marcher, Apriler, Mayer and Junearyer...:crap:

Duh:crap:

What I meant , and wasn't thinking clearly was you only worry about rain on days of the week that end in "Y"