PDA

View Full Version : Hammer Series Races

MattTuck
03-01-2017, 07:26 PM
New venture from Velon. I'm excited to see how exciting the racing is. I think it has the potential to be pretty entertaining. Certainly more interesting than a 150km flat stage in the TDF. :D

Instead of a traditional stage race format, the Hammer series focuses on the strength and success of teams. There are no individual winners with results based on rider placings as a team.

The teams will race in three different events on different days: the Hammer Sprint, the Hammer Climb and the Hammer Chase, each held on an 8-10km circuit to enable the public to see the action multiple times. Each race will be no longer than two hours and be broadcast on television, with the Friday and Saturday racing late in the early evening to attract a bigger TV audience.

The new format sees teams select five riders from a seven-rider squad for each race. The Sprint race covers a flat circuit, the Climb heads into the hills, while the Chase follows a handicap format, where the leading team after the first two days starts first, with the other teams setting off at different time intervals based on their results from the Sprint and Chase race.

The ultimate winner of the race is determined by the first team over the line. Time gaps between teams will be based on fixed time gaps per position and bonus time gained during the races. In team pursuit style, the team whose fourth rider’s front wheel crosses the line first in the Hammer Chase is the race winner, earning points towards the overall Hammer Series.

Velon goes as far as suggesting that ‘The overall winner at the end of the Hammer Series earns the ultimate bragging rights as the best team in the world!’

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/velon-and-infront-launch-radical-new-hammer-series-race/

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/03/teams-velon-organisation-unveil-innovative-hammer-series-racing/

tiretrax
03-02-2017, 11:42 AM
I saw that yesterday, and I find it interesting. Sort of like Criterium International, which I have always loved. Is the UCI losing its grip; about to implode?

Sky said it's very interested in supporting this - could that be a problem in light of the growing doping scandal?

MattTuck
03-02-2017, 01:34 PM
I saw that yesterday, and I find it interesting. Sort of like Criterium International, which I have always loved. Is the UCI losing its grip; about to implode?

Sky said it's very interested in supporting this - could that be a problem in light of the growing doping scandal?

Velon is owned by a number of the WorldTour teams. so I don't think it is just Sky that is supporting it. I think it comes down to economics (as many things do). If the teams have a race series that they own, and can make money from broadcasting and licensing, that is a good thing for the sustainability of the sport. If nothing else, it is a bargaining chip that may allow them to extract more profit sharing arrangements from the organizers of existing races.

It seems that this model is also designed to appeal to the sports fan who is used to football (either one), basket ball, etc. where you go and watch the event for a few hours and then it is over. Hopefully the racing can be exciting, and with fewer riders (only 5 per team), perhaps the shortened courses will still provide a good test.

false_Aest
03-02-2017, 04:51 PM
Is the UCI losing its grip; about to implode?

Edit:

I hope this works. I hope it works and the UCI gets the hint.

choke
03-02-2017, 05:25 PM
I get the idea behind it and that it would probably draw people to watch, but for me it has zero appeal.

PepeM
03-02-2017, 08:31 PM
I think it could be fun. A bit like the points race in the track, which is one of my favorite cycling events.

shovelhd
03-02-2017, 09:19 PM
They should rename it to the Tramadol series.

MattTuck
03-02-2017, 09:34 PM
Actavis makes tramadol. Wouldn't be the first race sponsored by a company that makes a drug used for doping. Amgen Tour of California ;)