PDA

View Full Version : Does Fizik's VS channel work?

Climb01742
03-01-2017, 02:34 PM
I know it's probably pretty subjective, but I'm curious none-the-less:

Do folks notice a difference with Fizik saddles that have the VS channel? Does it improve comfort? Do you feel the ridges of the channel? Reviews I've read are mixed. Some say it helps relieve pressure; others say there's little difference. Any thoughts or experience appreciated.

MattTuck
03-01-2017, 02:38 PM
I think it depends on your butt. I have two fizik versus aliantes. I rode them pretty happily, but switched to a specialized power based on a fitter's recommendation after looking at a Gebiomized scan.

If it is the Aliante that interests you, let me know. maybe we could work something out.

ergott
03-01-2017, 02:42 PM
I have used the Antares for a year or so and switched to the VS a couple years ago. I noticed an improvement when I'm down low on the bike. I don't feel any noticeable channel when riding, just more contact with my sit bones instead of along the center of the saddle.

rwsaunders
03-01-2017, 03:03 PM
I had the original Aliante shape for a while and it didn't work for me in terms of longer ride comfort. Switched to a VS version 4-5 years ago and all is well...go figure.

Tim Porter
03-01-2017, 03:23 PM
I had the original Aliante shape for a while and it didn't work for me in terms of longer ride comfort. Switched to a VS version 4-5 years ago and all is well...go figure.

Pretty much my experience, though I was doing okay with the original for long rides. I've found the VS to be a little better.

Bob Ross
03-01-2017, 04:42 PM
Do folks notice a difference with Fizik saddles that have the VS channel?
Yes
Does it improve comfort?
No
Do you feel the ridges of the channel?
Sort of...
Any thoughts or experience appreciated.
My biggest gripe about the Aliante VS saddle I got is that it wasn't in all other ways identical to a non-VS Aliante. Besides the inclusion of a "perineal channel" or whatever they call it, it also has more padding, slightly less left-to-right convexity, and (most annoyingly) differently positioned saddle rail insertion points.

In short, no bueno.

And I didn't even have numbnutz to start with, I just got the VS because my builder didn't realize there was any difference between an Aliante VS and a regular Aliante. So in my case it was a solution in search of a problem...which created other problems.

Dromen
03-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Not a game changer but more comfortable on the long hauls than the un-channeled.

David Kirk
03-01-2017, 05:32 PM
I like my VS.

dave

veloduffer
03-01-2017, 05:37 PM
Pretty much my experience, though I was doing okay with the original for long rides. I've found the VS to be a little better.

Same here for me. I use the Arione VS. I found the VSX version channel to be too sharp edged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scho74
03-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Not a fan of the VS here. It's pretty spongy so when you actually sit on the saddle and ride, the channel pretty much disappears and the saddle is pretty flat. It's also a little uncomfortable since your squishing the foam on your butt. I prefer the Specialized Romin Evo. YMMV

one60
03-01-2017, 09:13 PM
I find the Fabric Scoop Radius to be more comfortable than the Aliante.

LINE is the name of their channel saddle. While its available in various widths it seems the only option is the shallow. These saddles are well made and inexpensive to the cost to test them is reasonable. Good luck!

ahumblecycler
03-02-2017, 04:32 AM
I've been riding on a Tundra VS M3 for several months now, and I am undecided whether I like it or not. It is better than the regular Tundra, which resulted in unwanted pressure/pain when in the drops; that has disappeared with the VS. Having said that and circling back to my indecision, I do have several annoyances:

1. While it claims to have wingflex technology, I have yet to "break" it in to experience it even after 500+ miles.
2. Depending on my bib short, I will feel the ridges.
3. Related to above, the saddle has more sweet spots than what I find on a regular flat saddle (I like to move around and the VS makes it difficult).

I will add that this iteration of the VS uses denser foam than the original VS. I had an Aliante VS back in 2010 and liked how it took the bump out of the nose (made getting in drops more comfortable for me) but always found the foam a bit soft.

gavingould
03-04-2017, 02:20 PM
I would say.... it depends. Saddles are pretty personal. I used to ride Spec saddles, the Toupe, Alias, and Avatar I think. Same basic shape but different padding.
Then I had a standard Arione on my cross bike and generally liked it, so I decided to try an Antares VS on my road bike. Really liked it, the 'gooch gulch' seems right for my anatomy, so I picked up another and put that on my cross bike.
Then I sold some bikes and was down to one, so the VS has been good. Came across a carbon-railed Antares VSX and put that on, it's been good but as mentioned above, edges of the cutout do feel sharper. Overall the padding on the VSX feels stiffer/firmer. I got another bike that came with an Aliante (non-VS) and the shape is OK but I'll be putting one of my Antares VS on there. Might try an Aliante VS. The quest for perfection never really ends.

Too long, didn't read version: for me, yes the cutout helps. Long rides, less numbness.

dougdye
03-05-2017, 08:45 AM
I agree with the post about the Fabric Scoop. Many shops now offer a test ride saddle. If you like the Aliente, you might try the Scoop Radius or Shallow. They are a similar shape, but weigh less, cost less, and flex over bumps..very comfortable

enr1co
03-05-2017, 08:49 AM
I have used the Antares for a year or so and switched to the VS a couple years ago. I noticed an improvement when I'm down low on the bike. I don't feel any noticeable channel when riding, just more contact with my sit bones instead of along the center of the saddle.

Similar experience. The orig Antares shape works well for me but the VS feels even better with the channel.

pjbaz
03-05-2017, 09:11 AM
I don't have a ton of miles on them but I have an Aliante VS on my Kelly Bonestock and so far, so good. I wasn't as comfortable on the regular Aliante and could tel a difference on the first ride when I switched to the VS

merlincustom1
03-05-2017, 10:22 AM
I have an Arione VS on my road bike and the same withiut the channel on a fixed gear. I like the channel better, and don't really feel the edges. I thought part of it might be down to the fixed being less forgiving on the butt due to its inherent characteristics, but I also had no channel on a road bike and liked the VS version better there too.

madsciencenow
03-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Yes

No

Sort of...

My biggest gripe about the Aliante VS saddle I got is that it wasn't in all other ways identical to a non-VS Aliante. Besides the inclusion of a "perineal channel" or whatever they call it, it also has more padding, slightly less left-to-right convexity, and (most annoyingly) differently positioned saddle rail insertion points.

In short, no bueno.

And I didn't even have numbnutz to start with, I just got the VS because my builder didn't realize there was any difference between an Aliante VS and a regular Aliante. So in my case it was a solution in search of a problem...which created other problems.

I have nothing substantive to add here but your post made me laugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk