PDA

View Full Version : Deuter backpacks and sweat

Veloo
03-01-2017, 01:47 PM
Has anyone used that arched mesh system on Deuter cycling backpacks?
A local shop carries them. Wondering how effective it is at keeping your back dry.

pdmtong
03-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Data point of one: I have an older version of what is now called the Race EXP Air and the mesh panel works really well. Since there is now a space between the panel and your back, air can flow past to facilitate more cooling. One nuance is that since the bag curves around the frame, you really cannot put anything long straight and flat against the rear of the bag

martl
03-01-2017, 01:54 PM
my experience is the same as pdmtong.
I have the system on a very tiny daypack. Do they even use that system on bigger backpacks?
The quality of Deuters is, in general, very good.

christian
03-01-2017, 01:55 PM
Data point 2: I have the Race Air EXP or some such. It keeps you dryer than a regular bag, but not nearly as dry as not wearing a bag. I'd say it's 71% as bad as wearing a regular backpack. Alternately 29% better, if you're an optimist.

pdmtong
03-01-2017, 02:04 PM
Data point 2: I have the Race Air EXP or some such. It keeps you dryer than a regular bag, but not nearly as dry as not wearing a bag. I'd say it's 71% as bad as wearing a regular backpack. Alternately 29% better, if you're an optimist.

Leave it to our man C to make me laugh out loud. I use my Deuter for almost all rides, and my Dakine Nomad when i need to carry more or for lift-assisted DH

christian
03-01-2017, 02:22 PM
Leave it to our man C to make me laugh out loud. I use my Deuter for almost all rides, and my Dakine Nomad when i need to carry more or for lift-assisted DH

Thanks P! I alternate between a 12l Dakine Amp, a 24l Dakine Amp, and my EXP Race Air. They are all pretty good, though I think a Dakine liter is about 700 cl. (In truth, I think they just include the hydration bladder space in the volume measure, but you're not getting more than 18l of stuff in a 24l Dakine bag). BTW, I was skiing in Tahoe last week, at N* and Diamond Peak. Did not suck. You and I are going to have to get together for some DH this summer. Between my 160mm Reign and my new Giant Glory, I have big-suspension bikes for days.

This was Diamond Peak a week ago:

http://christianedstrom.com/vsalon/iPhone/Camera_Roll/new%20phone/IMG_0206.JPG

http://christianedstrom.com/vsalon/iPhone/Camera_Roll/new%20phone/IMG_0224.JPG

sonicCows
03-01-2017, 02:26 PM
Thanks P! I alternate between a 12l Dakine Amp, a 24l Dakine Amp, and my EXP Race Air. They are all pretty good, though I think a Dakine liter is about 700 cl. (In truth, I think they just include the hydration bladder space in the volume measure, but you're not getting more than 18l of stuff in a 24l Dakine bag). BTW, I was skiing in Tahoe last week, at N* and Diamond Peak. Did not suck. You and I are going to have to get together for some DH this summer. Between my 160mm Reign and my new Giant Glory, I have big-suspension bikes for days.

This was Diamond Peak a week ago:

http://christianedstrom.com/vsalon/iPhone/Camera_Roll/new%20phone/IMG_0224.JPG

I thought it was summer in Australia :banana:

christian
03-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Stupid iphone image orientation meta data...

jbreebs
03-01-2017, 03:03 PM
I've got one of their bigger backpacks (32L?) and the arched mesh part is ok, but not as great as I was hoping. One not insignificant downside is that you lose a lot of space due to that internal frame. It does keep you a bit cooler than a normal backpack though. That said, they are definitely well made, and I'd buy mine again

majorpat
03-01-2017, 07:49 PM
I have a day pack and it works on day hikes very well, and I am a sweathog on hikes. Recommended!

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-730F using Tapatalk

velofinds
03-01-2017, 10:22 PM
It's too bad the Deuter stuff doesn't look nicer (read: more understated, whereas their products look pretty technical). Otherwise, I'd be very interested.

gdw
03-01-2017, 10:52 PM
It's pretty easy to dye outdoor gear if you find the colors obnoxious. Rit liquid dye works well on most fabrics, silnylon excluded, and is cheap.

Tickdoc
03-02-2017, 06:02 AM
Has anyone used that arched mesh system on Deuter cycling backpacks?
A local shop carries them. Wondering how effective it is at keeping your back dry.

no, but fwiw, I have an osprey raptor 22 that is very good at keeping you dry:
looks like this

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/files/2013/10/Osprey-Raptor-6-back-panel.jpg

pdonk
03-02-2017, 06:14 AM
I have a race EXP air.

I absolutely hate packs when riding and can put up with it. I'd rather ride with an extra bottle in my pocket if I can get away with it.

I only use it 1 or 2 times a year on super long mtb rides (4 hours plus), it as lasted 5 years and still looks good. The water bag is relatively easy to clean and the storage area an hold another bladder.

Veloo
03-04-2017, 12:22 PM
I came across this brand for the first time last week on Chain Reaction.
So does the back have any mechanism to keep contact to a minimum?

no, but fwiw, I have an osprey raptor 22 that is very good at keeping you dry:
looks like this

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/files/2013/10/Osprey-Raptor-6-back-panel.jpg

Tickdoc
03-04-2017, 04:44 PM
No, but it is very comfy and if you do get hot, just a little wiggle and you can feel the air rushing under the pack. I mean, I can do this little straighten my back out thing and you feel air rushing between pack and jersey.

It also takes a bladder ( which I don't use) so if you feel that with ice cold water then even more cooling.

Here in the summers, it starts at at 80 degrees with high humidity, and ends in the 100's with high humidity so you are going to sweat regardless, but this is the cool st pack I've seen.

I love osprey stuff. I have a super light rolling duffle at I use for trips/airport and I use their tool roll for my spares/ co2.

03-04-2017, 09:24 PM
For hiking I picked up a Camelbak Mule 15 LR. It's a new model for this year and designed to sit low at the waist rather than up high on the back. It helps with center of gravity and having the bag get in the way of your head or helmet, but one of the nice features is that most of the back is opened up for airflow. There's a small section of the lower back that can still get sweaty, but the pack takes a completely different approach to the traditional hydration pack. You can get other sizes in this new design (there's a Hawg as well). It's worth looking at.