PDA

View Full Version : SoCal Riding Suggestions

ANAO
03-01-2017, 06:05 AM
We're headed to SoCal for 6 days in a couple of weeks. I secured my bike travel bag (going to be borrowing a Gavilan BFF from a friend) and now just need routes.

We'll spend 2 days at the beach in Carlsbad.
We'll spend 2 days by a buddy in LA - who will lead me around, so no need for routes there.
We'll finish off with 2 days in the gaslamp quarter in San Diego.

So 4 routes needed, 2 from Carlsbad beach (Hilton Garden Inn) and 2 from SD (Westin Gaslamp).

Any suggestions? Looking to do about 60-70km per morning.

Thanks!

carpediemracing
03-01-2017, 06:21 AM
We're headed to SoCal for 6 days in a couple of weeks. I secured my bike travel bag (going to be borrowing a Gavilan BFF from a friend) and now just need routes.

We'll spend 2 days at the beach in Carlsbad.
We'll spend 2 days by a buddy in LA - who will lead me around, so no need for routes there.
We'll finish off with 2 days in the gaslamp quarter in San Diego.

So 4 routes needed, 2 from Carlsbad beach (Hilton Garden Inn) and 2 from SD (Westin Gaslamp).

Any suggestions? Looking to do about 60-70km per morning.

Thanks!

I only know Carlsbad area. I went there annually 2004-2011 for a Jan/Feb training trip, spending 10-26? days down there at a stretch.

Believe it or not just heading down the PCH to Torrey Pines and back is nice. You have to slow through Encinitas but otherwise it's pretty open riding, ocean to your west. For me, from 30 minutes ride inland from Carlsbad, it was good for about 4-5 hours of riding out and back. Torrey Pines is a hill but otherwise there isn't that much elevation change. Bike lane/path depending on where you are.

You can head inland on Palomar Airport Road. This brings you to Escondido eventually. I think you'll run out of time there, but if not you can head through and go up the Lake Wohlford climb (a right turn from that direction). Another out and back. For me there are some hills, half mile at a time, not sure if you consider that significant. Again, bike lane on the right side of road, very nice for most of it.

You can head into Camp Pendleton, north, through Oceanside. I've only done this with a group, and before the new ID regulations, so not sure what you need to do to get in. Camp Pendleton itself is quiet but Oceanside is about as busy as you get.

If you head inland look for West Lilac Road. It's a fun road to descend (toward the south/west is downhill). It's near/off of Lawrence Welk Blvd. Much quieter roads, I liked looping around to the north. May be too far for you if you're in Carlsbad.

There are many group rides around, not sure how comfortable you feel with them or how the schedule would work. Swamis is extremely fast, I've never been able to hang. For a slower ride there's a nice group (last I went) out of Oceanside, Velo Pacifica. SDBC (San Diego Bicycle Club) has a ton of rides, never done one, they are bigger but with abilities all over the place. I did a Wed? Camp Pendleton ride, it seemed like everyone was an ex- or current Cat 1 or 2. The guys getting dropped were Cat 1s and the like.

We're realistically going to try and make it out there this year, first time I'll make it out since 2011. 2012 Junior was born. Have fun out there.

oldpotatoe
03-01-2017, 06:31 AM
Lived in SanDiego(BUT long time ago-left in 1993)..might contact these guys for group rides. My old club.

http://www.ranchoscycling.org/

Rides north thru Pendleton, even up to San Onofre is nice. South to Torry Pines also really scenic, always something to see. Go say hello to these guys, say Hi to Jerry for me.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Campagnolo+North+America+Inc/@33.1280948,-117.3286223,112m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m18!1m12!4m11!1m3!2m2!1d-117.3283742!2d33.1281751!1m6!1m2!1s0x80dc72f0a9242 7d1:0x43918790964169bd!2sCampagnolo+North+America+ Inc,+5431+Avenida+Encinas+%23+C,+Carlsbad,+CA+9200 8!2m2!1d-117.328433!2d33.128104!3m4!1s0x80dc72f0a92427d1:0x 43918790964169bd!8m2!3d33.128104!4d-117.328433

ANAO
03-01-2017, 06:41 AM
I will be in Carlsbad Thursday/friday and SD Monday/Tuesday

woodworker
03-01-2017, 07:53 AM
What's available and also best depends in part on the days of the week when you're at the various locations. The ride south from Carlsbad down the coast is pretty nice, despite the traffic in Encinitas and Del Mar (full stops in Del Mar, as the police can ticket you). If you want to add on from there, go up the top of Soledad Mountain. There are several routes up, and you can loop back on the bike path to Gilman, by UCSD and back via Torrey Pines to the Coast. Another option is to head east and take a loop through either Rancho Santa Fe or Elfin Forest. There are Rides listed on the websites for Swami's and Ride Cyclery. Google them. I've ridden with the Ride Cyclery group on their Saturday morning rides and really like them. They say it's a B ride, but their are some pretty strong riders, and they regroup.

In terms of downtown, that's a bit tougher. There are some really nice rides--for example to Cabrillo, but there's also a lot of heavy traffic in certain areas in-between. Hopefully someone from the downtown area can chime in. I think that Adams Avenue Bikes has a Sunday morning ride. I haven't done it, but the guys at the shop seem great, and it has a good reputation.

Good luck. Should be fun.

ptourkin
03-01-2017, 08:02 AM
I only know Carlsbad area. I went there annually 2004-2011 for a Jan/Feb training trip, spending 10-26? days down there at a stretch.

Believe it or not just heading down the PCH to Torrey Pines and back is nice. You have to slow through Encinitas but otherwise it's pretty open riding, ocean to your west. For me, from 30 minutes ride inland from Carlsbad, it was good for about 4-5 hours of riding out and back. Torrey Pines is a hill but otherwise there isn't that much elevation change. Bike lane/path depending on where you are.

You can head inland on Palomar Airport Road. This brings you to Escondido eventually. I think you'll run out of time there, but if not you can head through and go up the Lake Wohlford climb (a right turn from that direction). Another out and back. For me there are some hills, half mile at a time, not sure if you consider that significant. Again, bike lane on the right side of road, very nice for most of it.

You can head into Camp Pendleton, north, through Oceanside. I've only done this with a group, and before the new ID regulations, so not sure what you need to do to get in. Camp Pendleton itself is quiet but Oceanside is about as busy as you get.

If you head inland look for West Lilac Road. It's a fun road to descend (toward the south/west is downhill). It's near/off of Lawrence Welk Blvd. Much quieter roads, I liked looping around to the north. May be too far for you if you're in Carlsbad.

There are many group rides around, not sure how comfortable you feel with them or how the schedule would work. Swamis is extremely fast, I've never been able to hang. For a slower ride there's a nice group (last I went) out of Oceanside, Velo Pacifica. SDBC (San Diego Bicycle Club) has a ton of rides, never done one, they are bigger but with abilities all over the place. I did a Wed? Camp Pendleton ride, it seemed like everyone was an ex- or current Cat 1 or 2. The guys getting dropped were Cat 1s and the like.

We're realistically going to try and make it out there this year, first time I'll make it out since 2011. 2012 Junior was born. Have fun out there.

Fill this out to ride through Pendleton: https://mccscp.wufoo.com/forms/camp-pendleton-bike-route-access-form/

You won't get a response. Just bring your ID and wear a helmet. If the base is closed, you can ride on the 5 - which most of us do anyway. It's faster and not unpleasant. There are more accidents on the base, especially during the above-mentioned Wednesday ""ride" (race.)

For riding down here, do hit up Adams Avenue - that's my LBS and club. There is no regularly scheduled ride right now but there is often a mellow Sunday morning jaunt, as mentioned. I live close to downtown and ride almost every day from home - feel free to message me with your criteria and I can give you some routes. If you like the coastal thing, down and around to Coronado and back is good and on mostly bike-friendly infrastructure. Absolutely flat, though.

The real gems down here are East. If you don't mind driving 20 minutes to start a 3 hour ride - the Great Western Loop is the classic local route. 40 miles with 4,000 feet of climbing, great views and three amazing descents. Chris Horner has most of the KOMs and it's a popular training camp area for teams. Highly recommended.

ANAO
03-01-2017, 08:07 AM
Fill this out to ride through Pendleton: https://mccscp.wufoo.com/forms/camp-pendleton-bike-route-access-form/

You won't get a response. Just bring your ID and wear a helmet. If the base is closed, you can ride on the 5 - which most of us do anyway. It's faster and not unpleasant. There are more accidents on the base, especially during the above-mentioned Wednesday ""ride" (race.)

For riding down here, do hit up Adams Avenue - that's my LBS and club. There is no regularly scheduled ride right now but there is often a mellow Sunday morning jaunt, as mentioned. I live close to downtown and ride almost every day from home - feel free to message me with your criteria and I can give you some routes. If you like the coastal thing, down and around to Coronado and back is good and on mostly bike-friendly infrastructure. Absolutely flat, though.

The real gems down here are East. If you don't mind driving 20 minutes to start a 3 hour ride - the Great Western Loop is the classic local route. 40 miles with 4,000 feet of climbing, great views and three amazing descents. Chris Horner has most of the KOMs and it's a popular training camp area for teams. Highly recommended.
That last bit sounds great. I'll message you for help setting up the route. Thanks!

Clean39T
03-01-2017, 09:10 AM
Even with the traffic, riding through Little Italy, taking the path along the bay, and heading out to Cabrillo, then dropping down through Ocean Beach, Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, up through La Jolla and back down all the way through Balboa is a great "tour the city" loop. You can also ride south to Imperial Beach and up the strand to Coronado, coming back on the foot ferry.

If you have the means though, go east to Alpine, Julian, etc.

I moved back to the NW from SD in 2003, still miss it down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Robb
03-01-2017, 11:43 AM
As I often recommend: check the archives for lots of threads on this topic.

Stevemikesteve
03-01-2017, 12:13 PM
+1 for inland from Carlsbad, either ride or short drive east to get started. Escondido is a good jumping off point. North or East out of town both have some options. Maybe North of Escondido to town of Valley Center (via Valley Center Road) then West to old 395 then back down to Escondido or some variation of that. Riding the coast is nice although a bit tedious and I'd imagine you'll get a good enough feel for it through most of your overall visit anyway. Have a great time!