PDA

View Full Version : 2x Lacing help

Velociotis
08-08-2006, 11:18 AM
I know there are a few that this is a no-brainer for so here it is: I am building a pair of 28 spoke 2x wheels, could someone verify that I got the lacing correct? I could only find examples of 32 spoke 3x. I am trying the slow, patient build, so rather than rushing, screwing up a new set of spokes, I'll ask for help. (I will be having the finished product checked by my local shop.)

Hopefully the resolution they allow will give enough info. Sorry, I messed up the picture of the whole wheel.

Thank you.

xlbs
08-08-2006, 01:00 PM
although it is hard to tell without the whole wheel to look at...do you have an open "parallel" at the valve hole?

x 2 should be okay on a front wheel as long as you are not too heavy.

happy building...

KevinK
08-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Its difficult to tell from the pictures, but it looks like you have your spokes headed to the wrong holes in the rim. I say this by looking at you first picture, the 12:00 spoke (near flange, spokehead away from us) is pointed at about 11:00 on the rim, while the 12:30 spoke (far flange, spokehead away from us) is pointed at about 10:00 on the rim, when it should be pointed at 11:30. Your spokes are out of phase.

If you examine the holes in your hub closely, you will see that they are offset. On a 24 hole hub (I know yours is 28 hole but bear with me) one flange will have holes at 12:00, 1:00, 2:00 etc, while the other flange will have holes at 12:30, 1:30, 2:30 etc. Spokes are paired, pulling and pushing. So it would go 12:00 and 12:30 pulling, 1:00 and 1:30 pushing, 2:00 and 2:30 pulling, 3:00 and 3:30 pushing, etc. and they go in the cooresponding holes in the rim. That is, the 12:30 spoke goes in the hole in the rim immediately after the 12:00 spoke. You have your 12:30 spoke threaded into the rim ahead of your 12:00 spoke.

This is alot easier to do than to describe.

Kevin

bostondrunk
08-08-2006, 01:24 PM
although it is hard to tell without the whole wheel to look at...do you have an open "parallel" at the valve hole?

x 2 should be okay on a front wheel as long as you are not too heavy.

happy building...

x 2 is fine for heavier riders as well, including rear wheels, trust me...:)
If the wheel is built right, it won't matter whether it is 2x or 3x.
When I've built wheels, the one thing that determined which pattern I used was which spoke lengths my LBS had in stock...

KevinK
08-08-2006, 01:37 PM
So after further examination, I'm convinced that your spokes are out of phase. Do not try and tension them as they are (I'm guessing that some spokes seem really short while others seem too long). You will need to unlace one side/flange and start over, making sure that you pair the spokes as I described previously.

Kevin

Velociotis
08-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the comments.

One group (7) on each side does appear longer than the other group (7). Will check tonight, rest day.

At 149-151lbs, not too worried about the weight and these are fast-training/race day/climbing wheels.

Cheers.