PDA

View Full Version : Time VXRS seatpost question

JJN
02-28-2017, 11:56 PM
I recently bought a Time VXRS frameset with translink seat tube (integrated seat post). Unfortunately the previous owner was a bit smaller than me and therefor the translink has been cut too short. I was advised to cut the Translink until 2 cm above the seat/top tube lug and insert a normal seat post in order to obtain the right saddle height.
Question now is whether a slot in the top part of the seat tube is required. The VXR with normal seat appears to have no slot in the frame and uses a normal collar instead of the double clamping VXRS one. Does anybody know what to do? Many thanks in advance.
Joost

ultraman6970
03-01-2017, 04:27 AM
Great question.

weisan
03-01-2017, 05:29 AM
My carbon Cyfac comes with an integrated seatpost. It has adaptors with various lengths that I could use to place under the seat mast to set the correct height. Does yours have that option?

sales guy
03-01-2017, 06:34 AM
I recently bought a Time VXRS frameset with translink seat tube (integrated seat post). Unfortunately the previous owner was a bit smaller than me and therefor the translink has been cut too short. I was advised to cut the Translink until 2 cm above the seat/top tube lug and insert a normal seat post in order to obtain the right saddle height.
Question now is whether a slot in the top part of the seat tube is required. The VXR with normal seat appears to have no slot in the frame and uses a normal collar instead of the double clamping VXRS one. Does anybody know what to do? Many thanks in advance.
Joost

You don't need to slot the seat mast. The clamp that Time uses is slotted. So the lower clamps the mast the upper clamps the post.

The post diameter is 25.0mm. There are quite a few nice ones in that size. When I worked for Thomson I used a Masterpiece. You can always buy a carbon Time post. But make sure if you do cut it down, you get the + model. They make one with internal reinforcement for people over 150 pounds or who have less seat mast showing.

By the way, you don't need to cut it all the way down. You can leave it at the height it came if you want. So what, you'll have some extra internal post showing. No biggie.

JJN
03-01-2017, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the reply

You don't need to slot the seat mast. The clamp that Time uses is slotted. So the lower clamps the mast the upper clamps the post.

? Aren't all clamps slotted? The version with normal seat post VXR has a normal (single) seat post clamp. But I would like to know from an VXR owner whether it has a slot or not? Some pictures on another forum suggest that there is no slot at the back but at the front?? Hard to see on this picture.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_u-51r48y78c/S31WZmXgLHI/AAAAAAAAJNo/6ElmnX4sDl4/s640/time%20005.jpg

The post diameter is 25.0mm. There are quite a few nice ones in that size.

I think you mean 27.2 mm diameter?

wildboar
03-01-2017, 10:26 AM
27.2 seatpost diamater
You cut it smooth with no slot, that's how the original Time tool worked

2cm from the bottom sounds about right, it needs to match up with the internal step-ring on that double collar clamp. There was just one for sale on Portland Craigslist and that's how it looked.

Call up Velo Pasadena or Contender Bikes in Utah and ask them for some wisdom.

vqdriver
03-01-2017, 11:27 AM
perhaps i'm confused.
i understand the op to be asking about replacing the isp with a normal seatpost. if that's the case, then i would think the seatmast 'nub' would have to be drilled and slotted as with any other isp to normal conversion. with the isp, the topper is slotted, but without it, the seattube would have to be. otherwise, the new clamp wouldn't do anything...
the question then becomes clamp size and post size.
fwiw, my time uses an oddball 29.2 before subsequently going to 27.2, so that may depend on the year of the frame.

edit - ask a dealer familiar with time frames. ^ velo pasadena is def one of them in LA, dunno about the op's area.

wallymann
03-01-2017, 12:06 PM
i had a VXRS. 27.2mm seatpin spec.

i dont remember the tip of the ISP having a slot, i'm 99% sure there was not. as the ISP was inteded to be trimmed i suspect there was enough "give" designed in to allow proper clamping, as i never had seatpin slippage issues.

a VXS owner could weigh in on whether the non-ISP design had a slotted seattube opening.

IMO it wouldnt hurt to add a slot after trimming the ISP. 1cm slot oughta be plenty, rounded with a drill at the bottom of the slot to mitigate potential crack propogation.

http://brown-snout.com/cycling/bikes/archive/time_vxrs/walter_ultimate_weapon/IMG_0991.JPG

one60
03-01-2017, 09:06 PM
Rather than trim the ISP, why not contact a carbon fiber repair shop or TIME and have the seatpost extended? The ISP design provides some cache and possibly adds to the ride quality. If its a round post moving the TIME seatpost cradle to another piece of tubing would likely be inexpensive way to go.

old fat man
03-01-2017, 10:54 PM
I just sold VXRS. No slot on seat tube. I used a Chinese carbon post, 27.2 after the original Time post failed. Zero issues and the I never shortened the ISP style seat tube.

For those who have not owned a Time or a VXRS don't make assumptions about how to set them up. There was no slot, the headset is unconventional, and the special seatpost clamp is proprietary and fragile.

sales guy
03-01-2017, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the reply

I think you mean 27.2 mm diameter?

Nope, mine is 25.0mm.

sales guy
03-01-2017, 11:06 PM
I just sold VXRS. No slot on seat tube. I used a Chinese carbon post, 27.2 after the original Time post failed. Zero issues and the I never shortened the ISP style seat tube.

For those who have not owned a Time or a VXRS don't make assumptions about how to set them up. There was no slot, the headset is unconventional, and the special seatpost clamp is proprietary and fragile.

Agreed that the clamp is fragile. It's a 4mm bolt and very easy to strip out.
And correct, there is no slot. The lower clamp clamps the ISP. There is a cutout and then the upper clamp which clamps the seatpost.

El Chaba
03-02-2017, 06:20 AM
The Time seatpost is not fragile at all. As a matter of fact, it's one of the most robust designs ever produced. You do need to know how to properly set it up. The front bolt, adjusted with an open wrench, is not to be used for tightening. It is used to set the angle of the saddle. So you make an approximation on angle and then tighten the rear allen bolt, which will affect the angle as it tightens down....and then repeat until you get it right. It's a bit fiddly, but not difficult. Once set, it's extremely secure and robust. One other note-the rear bolt should always be tightened to spec with a torque wrench. This is the old Selcof design for the seat clamp and Time either makes it or has it made under license.

sales guy
03-02-2017, 08:32 AM
The Time seatpost is not fragile at all. As a matter of fact, it's one of the most robust designs ever produced. You do need to know how to properly set it up. The front bolt, adjusted with an open wrench, is not to be used for tightening. It is used to set the angle of the saddle. So you make an approximation on angle and then tighten the rear allen bolt, which will affect the angle as it tightens down....and then repeat until you get it right. It's a bit fiddly, but not difficult. Once set, it's extremely secure and robust. One other note-the rear bolt should always be tightened to spec with a torque wrench. This is the old Selcof design for the seat clamp and Time either makes it or has it made under license.

I think your misunderstanding me and the other poster, it's the seat mast clamp. That can be striped out pretty easy if you aren't careful.

The time post, they make two of them. One with a + shaped reinforcement and one without. The one with can be used for any weight. The one without has a 150 weight limit. The clamp on the post is fine. No issues with that.

El Chaba
03-02-2017, 08:49 AM
I think your misunderstanding me and the other poster, it's the seat mast clamp. That can be striped out pretty easy if you aren't careful.

The time post, they make two of them. One with a + shaped reinforcement and one without. The one with can be used for any weight. The one without has a 150 weight limit. The clamp on the post is fine. No issues with that.

Si senor....

old fat man
03-02-2017, 12:23 PM

Where is this + shaped reinforcement? You mean it is on the removable seatpost?

Anyway, the metal "head" on my Time VXRS seatpost that secured the saddle seemed to react/corrode due to contact with my saddle bag and multi tool. I've never seen that problem on any other post (Easton, Thomson, Chinese carbon ones). I suspect it may have been the post for under 150 lbs too. I'm 175 lbs and that post developed hairline cracks around the bolt head and then crumbled to pieces when I tried to loosen it to adjust the saddle.

DfCas
03-02-2017, 01:50 PM
My Cross Pro uses a 27.2 seatmast topper/seatpost.

JJN
03-29-2017, 06:36 AM
Update:
Advice Time: don't cut seat tube (ISP) and use 210x27.2 mm insert (159 euros)
Advice Time dealership in NL: don't cut and use generic 27.2 mm seat post.

I now use a Cannondale C2 carbon post and that looks great. Still in progress of finishing rest of the bike.

Thanks for the help.

Joost

sales guy
03-29-2017, 06:50 AM
Where is this + shaped reinforcement? You mean it is on the removable seatpost?

Anyway, the metal "head" on my Time VXRS seatpost that secured the saddle seemed to react/corrode due to contact with my saddle bag and multi tool. I've never seen that problem on any other post (Easton, Thomson, Chinese carbon ones). I suspect it may have been the post for under 150 lbs too. I'm 175 lbs and that post developed hairline cracks around the bolt head and then crumbled to pieces when I tried to loosen it to adjust the saddle.

Sorry, just saw this post pop back up.
The + shaped reinforcement is inside the removable seatpost. I will take a picture of my post and show it. I have the non-reinforced one. A friend of mine, we picked up a NOS Time frame and it is NON-ISP. But it came with the super light ISP post. SO I gave him my reinforced post and kept his. I didn't care as I am not able to ride and I was using a Thomson post anyways.

The issue with the head, that sounds like things weren't treated well when they were anodized. Not sure why a seat bag would corrode something. Never heard or seen that before. Kind of wild. As for the seatpost getting cracks around the head/insert, sounds like you had the lighter post. The non-reinforced post is stupid stupid thin. Like scary thin. Maybe 3 or 4 plys of carbon thin.

pickeringdaniel
11-11-2020, 09:40 PM
Old thread I know but I just picked up a VXRS Ulteam with what I think is the OEM seatpost.

Does anyone know if Time produced a straight post or just the (what I assume is 20mm) setback version?

Here’s the frameset with wheels and bars

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201112/790710b89716488f5a984c126e5bebb1.jpg

KJMUNC
11-11-2020, 10:32 PM
Old thread I know but I just picked up a VXRS Ulteam with what I think is the OEM seatpost.

Does anyone know if Time produced a straight post or just the (what I assume is 20mm) setback version?

Here’s the frameset with wheels and bars

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201112/790710b89716488f5a984c126e5bebb1.jpg

Not to my knowledge, they didn’t....but just use whatever straight post you want as long as it fits diameter.

Steve in SLO
11-11-2020, 10:53 PM
Time Seat clamp is indeed double-clamped.
As previously stated, there is no need to cut down further or slot if using a Time clamp.
See pic below which may help. I turned the clamp upside down for clarity.

*Sheesh...didn’t notice I was responding to a 3 year old part of the thread.