PDA

View Full Version : OT: paypal credit...

ultraman6970
02-25-2017, 11:42 PM
Hi... I do not know if anybody noticed and is actually using paypal credit at ebay. But what eve noticed is that for example for a 1000 bucks item you have that paypal will offer a 24 months to pay (making up for the example) but for the same item and the same price paypal offer 6 months, anybody know why there's such discrepancy in months needed to pay an item??

I know the thing goes by tears/ranges of prices but I found curious that looking relatively the same item and relatively same price range there are so different amounts of months to pay.

At the beginning i thought was due to location but in one bike from italy I get 24 months to pay and the same amount of money in a bike from the US I get 6 months... any ideas?

jtakeda
02-25-2017, 11:48 PM
PayPal credit is amazing. I use it all the time. Pretty much the only way I can afford nice things.

ultraman6970
02-26-2017, 12:01 AM
Not even tell me, is hard to avoid temptation :P But that for some stuff is 6 months, other ones is 12 months and other ones is 24 months for the same range of money... no idea if its the seller the one that determines that or what.

pcxmbfj
02-26-2017, 04:19 AM
My experience is that paid in 6 months no interest charges.
Never done additional months but believe you pay interest.

daker13
02-26-2017, 06:45 AM
What if you have a balance that consists of one item on which the interest-free period has run out, and one item on which it's still running? Do you have to pay the interest bearing item off before you begin to pay off the balance of the one that is still interest-free? (This question occurred to me the other day.)

(Sorry, Ultraman, if this is a thread jack... I've only used PC a couple of times, but I've never been given a 24 month option... I suspect they're trying to tempt you into using it?)

ultraman6970
02-26-2017, 08:17 AM
For example a set of wheels... 800 bucks 24 months I believe... then a whole bike that was like 400 bucks more (1200 ish) paypal says 6 months. I know that if the item is over x amount automatically you get 6 months that is super cool but I do not understand why a set of wheels is 24 months and the whole bike is 6 months...wheels are here, bike is at europe but Ive checked other bikes in italy for example and quote me the 24 months aswell. So I do not know what makes the difference to extend from 6 to 24 months between one seller and other ones. Just curious because the stuff i like is always 6 months hehehehe :D

tuscanyswe
02-26-2017, 08:35 AM
Im guessing that the 6 month credit is something you are offered by pp. And we can all use this option on any item where you can pay with pp (is like 20% after expiration date on remaining balance owed tho..)

The other options are that perticular merchants offering to you via pp.

Dissclaimer: i dont use pp credits..

8aaron8
02-26-2017, 10:36 AM
Kind of inline with the above comment, but PP credit always does no interest for 6 months if the purchase is over $100, the 12/18/24 month plans are usually special offers provided to sellers or buyers.

jtakeda
02-26-2017, 11:26 AM
What if you have a balance that consists of one item on which the interest-free period has run out, and one item on which it's still running? Do you have to pay the interest bearing item off before you begin to pay off the balance of the one that is still interest-free? (This question occurred to me the other day.)

(Sorry, Ultraman, if this is a thread jack... I've only used PC a couple of times, but I've never been given a 24 month option... I suspect they're trying to tempt you into using it?)

I do this all the time. It always pays off the old debt first. I've never paid interest

ultraman6970
02-26-2017, 02:01 PM
Is a good way to fix your credit aswell :D

Dead Man
02-26-2017, 02:06 PM
at 20% accruing, you BETTER get that **** paid-off though... dayum.

shovelhd
02-26-2017, 02:20 PM
i do this all the time. It always pays off the old debt first. I've never paid interest

+1

Joxster
02-26-2017, 03:05 PM
If you need credit, you don't need the product.

shovelhd
02-26-2017, 03:23 PM
If you need credit, you don't need the product.

Incorrect.

saab2000
02-26-2017, 03:27 PM
Incorrect.

When it comes to things we buy on eBay (used sporting goods in the case of most bike stuff) I'm inclined to agree with the assessment that if we need to buy it on credit we probably don't need it and should probably reassess our priorities.

shovelhd
02-26-2017, 03:32 PM
When it comes to things we buy on eBay (used sporting goods in the case of most bike stuff) I'm inclined to agree with the assessment that if we need to buy it on credit we probably don't need it and should probably reassess our priorities.

Again, I disagree. It's free credit. I don't use household $$$ to subsidize my bikes. This means I don't have a ton of free cash sitting around to buy stuff. I'm usually selling stuff that is getting replaced, which takes time. Free credit fills the gap.

Dead Man
02-26-2017, 03:45 PM

You say this with a picture in your mind of someone buying stuff they can't afford and going into debt for materialistic junk. But RL is more complicated than that.

I, for instance, have basically no credit. I have no debt, no credit cards, no loans, no mortgage, no car notes. Pay cash for everything... and live very modestly because of it. That's all cool, but the wife wants a "nice" car someday, and we're going to need a bigger house a lot sooner than I am comfortable even thinking about. I still won't buy even those with credit - but what I WOULD buy with credit is small business debt to grow and make the cash I need to buy those things.

I gotta get some credit cards and start buying junk with them..