PDA

View Full Version : Travel bike wheelset choices

shovelhd
02-25-2017, 02:15 PM
Lots of travel bike chatter lately, so I thought I'd add to it.

I have two sets of wheels available for my travel bike, which is 11 speed Shimano:

Shimano Ultegra 6800
Shimano RS61

Both are low spoke count wheels. My concern is that they will be easily damaged by the luggage goons, which would ruin the trip.

For those of you with travel bikes, would you bring these wheels, and maybe a spare spoke set, or buy a sturdier, higher spoke count set? Weight and aerodynamics aren't major considerations. Cost is, though.

Mike V
02-25-2017, 02:27 PM
I would get hand built wheels. Shimano/Campagnolo hubs- double butted spokes/brass nipples- clinchers/ DT, Pacenti,

They could be fixed anywhere.

Bentley
02-25-2017, 02:59 PM
I'd go old school Dura Ace hubs (32 spoke) with Open Pros. Can't get much more travel proof than that, but they won't be the lightest

😀

Ray

biker72
02-25-2017, 03:17 PM
I agree with the previous posters. Get something with a higher spoke count and a 105/Ultegra hub.

EricEstlund
02-25-2017, 03:17 PM
They won't be easily damaged- or at least not more easily than a higher spoke count wheel while in a travel case. If you are worried, just be sure to bring the extra spokes you might need. Lower spoke count wheels do offer an advantage of easier packing in an S&S case.

Don't overthink it- be sure to pack things well and you should be fine.

Ryun
02-25-2017, 04:19 PM
Another vote for low spoke count. Mine are 24/28 and they are definitely easier to fit pack then my 32 spoke wheels.
I dont think either is any more or less susceptible to packing damage.

Kirk007
02-25-2017, 04:29 PM
used Campy proton for a decade as travel wheels. Easier to pack, very durable, took some extra spokes in case. Have never had a set of handbuilts be as durable, ride and forget as those were.

It is a PITA getting handlebars and everything else sorted and arranged with 32 spoke wheels in a single S&S travel case.

shovelhd
02-25-2017, 04:33 PM
Split about 50-50. Love it. BTW the bike is a Ritchey Breakaway.

weisan
02-25-2017, 04:43 PM
borrow a set of wheels from a pal at your destination.

my preference may not always fly but that's what I had been doing or I should say, lucky enough to do the last couple of times I traveled with my ritchey breakaway bike.

RowanB
02-25-2017, 05:02 PM
I've travelled a fair bit with the 6800s in an evoc bike bag, still perfectly true.

eddief
02-25-2017, 05:24 PM
Never have had to use it, but this thing goes with when I travel:

http://jastein.com/Html/Tools_for_Wheels.htm

AngryScientist
02-25-2017, 07:04 PM
shovel - check out the thread i started a little while ago on the same topic.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=198899

i'm probably going to be using an older set of lower end ksyriums that have been pretty bulletproof and low spoke count. they use regular straight pull spokes that any bike shop should be able to get in a hurry so i'm not too worried about them.

572cv
02-25-2017, 07:47 PM
I traveled to FL this winter and to France last fall with C24's. No problem, just pack them the way the case advises or allows. The case is the governing thing, not the wheels. Hard shell cases will protect the wheels just fine. Soft shells like Evoc and Oru have specific slots for the wheels. You can easily fit some extra foam in if you are worried, but the good cases do a fine job. I've also traveled with Hed Ardennes FR in recent years. All good. Take whatever you want, but the advice about a wheel being fix-able at the location you visit is probably pretty good caution.

mistermo
02-25-2017, 08:08 PM
I have a Ritchey Breakaway too. Low spoke count wheels are MUCH easier to pack in the case. I also highly recommend the "phantom flange". If you've got a Breakaway, you know that space, top to bottom, comes at a premium (I have a 60cm frame too). The phantom flange allows a quick removal of your cassette giving you even more space in the bag. My Breakaway is built with wireless etap, hence a shimano splined freehub and SRAM cassette. My road bike at home is Campy. With two of these, I can swap cassettes from Campy to SRAM and back in just seconds. With no tool!! Take a look. For me, this is the IDEAL travel wheelset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4OIJJgjW-g

shovelhd
02-25-2017, 08:43 PM
Great stuff in here, folks. Thank you all. I'm leaning towards keeping the wheels and getting spare spokes and one of those chain whip alternatives.

rccardr
02-25-2017, 08:53 PM
32 spoke Ultegra hubs on Open Pro's. Clinchers, of course.
That's about as bulletproof a wheelset as you'll find.
Spoke goes, true it up, keep on truckin'. Boom!

simonov
02-26-2017, 04:12 AM
I have a Ritchey Breakaway too. Low spoke count wheels are MUCH easier to pack in the case. I also highly recommend the "phantom flange". If you've got a Breakaway, you know that space, top to bottom, comes at a premium (I have a 60cm frame too). The phantom flange allows a quick removal of your cassette giving you even more space in the bag. My Breakaway is built with wireless etap, hence a shimano splined freehub and SRAM cassette. My road bike at home is Campy. With two of these, I can swap cassettes from Campy to SRAM and back in just seconds. With no tool!! Take a look. For me, this is the IDEAL travel wheelset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4OIJJgjW-g

How have I never seen that before. That's a very cool setup and would be perfect for packing a travel bike.

oldpotatoe
02-26-2017, 05:03 AM
I'd do 6800(or 5800 to save a few $) on Archetypes, DT440(or 460 to save a few$) or Velocity A23...dbl butted spokes, 32h..repairable anywhere dern near.

shovelhd
02-26-2017, 07:26 AM
I'd do 6800(or 5800 to save a few $) on Archetypes, DT440(or 460 to save a few$) or Velocity A23...dbl butted spokes, 32h..repairable anywhere dern near.

Believe me, that is exactly what the am contemplating. Keep my wheels or sell them off and have you build me a higher spoke count set.

.RJ
02-26-2017, 08:02 AM
How have I never seen that before. That's a very cool setup and would be perfect for packing a travel bike.

DT freehubs are similar.

eddief
02-26-2017, 08:46 AM
Do you know if the first edition also included the Phantom rear hub? Or if there were issues with the earlier Zeta? Packing my 60cm coupled bike is always tight as a drum so easy cassette removal could be the ticket.

Satellite
02-26-2017, 10:59 AM
I use Mavic Ksyriums and the S&S Hardcase. The low spoke count makes for easy packing and I have never had a problem. I have been traveling for the last 8 years with my bike and I go 3 or 4 times a year. The wheels do take some abuse mine are increadable scatched but they stay true. My case has only been rummaged through 4 or 5 times and they do an okay job getting it back in the case. They are looking for CO2 cartridges in your bike bag so keep your saddle bag with in easy reach. If they can get the bike case in the x-ray machine they typically won't open the case.

Once TSA broke the case lock saying was locked and they had to break it. I called BS these are high-quality cases and I know I didn't lock it. I had a baggage repair shop get new latches for me I think it was like $40. But the wheels were fine.

mistermo
02-26-2017, 07:04 PM
Do you know if the first edition also included the Phantom rear hub? Or if there were issues with the earlier Zeta? Packing my 60cm coupled bike is always tight as a drum so easy cassette removal could be the ticket.

The Phantom hub came out on the Zeta II and the Apex II wheelsets.

I've found the easier it is to pack and unpack, the more I'll use it. If you have a 60cm bike too, then you know how everything needs to fit together just perfectly.

Other things Ive found that help make a travel bike easier to assemble/disassemble are these:

A stem with a two bolt faceplate (rather than 4), ala a Thomson X2.

http://www.pinkyeti.net/bikes/colnago_master_pista/images/L1000228.JPG

Fabric cageless waterbottles clear more space for packing things up tight and where cages can get in the way of the wheels. A tool keg is also available which eliminates need for a saddle bag, if desired.

Fabric bottles:
OFF
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697935385&stc=1&d=1488156675
ON
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697935386&stc=1&d=1488156710

SRAM eTap wireless is da bomb for obvious reasons. Only the rear brake cable must be disconnected. No derailleur cables to stretch, adjust and get wonky from assembly/disassembly. Also the eTap rear derailleur, can be easily removed and stored away to protect damage.

I have been trying to warm to MKS EZY quick release pedals. I'm not there yet, but their easy on and easy off feature is ideal for a travel bike. No tools required. They make several styles, including a road version, based on LOOK design

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdmJA4KHL3g

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/QRUAAOSwv2JXwf8t/s-l500.jpg
Hope these tips help. I'll post a pic someday soon.