PDA

View Full Version : Neutron vs Eurus

saab2000
12-19-2003, 07:57 AM
Hello All,

I have been riding in Florida for the past month or so and it seems as though I am the only one who is riding standard wheels. I know, I should not try to keep up with the Jones's, but there is a part of me that would like to get some pre-built wheels. I saw a guy on a set of Nucleons and it is my impression that the Neutrons are just an updated/improved set of those wheels. The guy loved his and said that in about 3 years of use he has done nothing with them. Absolute reliability.

Some of the guys are using Ksyriums and those seem to be the standard against which all others are judged. Almost nobody dislikes them. I guess the reason I would like a set of pre-built wheels is that what others have said does actually seem to be an issue - namely that with the 10-speed systems the tension from one side to the other is so uneven that the wheels do not stay true for very long. I am not hard on equipment, but I seem to be constantly touching up my wheels. That was not the case on my bikes with 8-speed wheels.

And so I ask what is the real difference between the Eurus and the Neutron. I guess that the Eurus is supposed to be slightly more aero, but that is about it. The weight difference is negligible. I am tempted to go with tubulars and then I must go with the Neutrons. I do not require a really aero wheel as I really do not like the problems with crosswinds. Additionally, since I never really ride time-trials I do not care if a set of wheels is wind tunnel tested and shown to save 24 seconds over a 40km tt.

The wheels would be for daily use and would likely not be raced, but maybe would be if I get back into it.... :rolleyes: I have had tubulars in the past and like them and am tempted to go back to them. My tubular wheels have Ambrosio rims and seem to be a bit more comfortable than other non-box section rims. The Neutron has a boxier profile than the Eurus.

I lean towards the Neutron, but I want the stronger of the two for daily usage.

Has anyone used either (or preferably both) and can give any insight here?

Thanks

mso
12-19-2003, 09:14 AM
I also researched both these rims and ended up with Velomax Ascents II, my husband purchased the Eurus.

The Nuetron is positioned as a climbing wheel. Lightweight, low profile whereas the Eurus is considered medium profile (aero rim style), however, they both weigh about the same. Weight is distributed a little differently.

Conclusion -
If you climb alot go with the Nuetron.

Cool Factor - Eurus

dnovo
12-19-2003, 09:40 AM
I have both Eurus and Neutron clinchers. Functional differences? None. Major difference? Price. Cbike: Eurus about $650. Neutron about $550. ("Is this a trick question?" Bill Murray, GHOST BUSTERS.) Dave N.

jerk
12-19-2003, 09:51 AM
saab-
for your purposes go for the neutrons. they have a lighter rim and will feel quicker as the spin up a little faster. the eurus will also ride a wee bit harsher because of the deeper rim section. the jerk has spoken.

saab2000
12-19-2003, 10:23 AM
I appreciate the answers! I am inclined to agree that the Neutrons are what I should be looking at. I wish that they were not all matte black, but I guess that is the look now.

I suppose a set of tubular Neutrons are the thing for me. Gonna get some someday with a set of Veloflexes!! :D

Bill Bove
12-19-2003, 12:39 PM
O.K. Saab, I'm going to throw the old monkey wrench into the equation. I have owned all three, tubular Nutrons, and Nucleon and Euros clinchers. I dumped the sew-ups when I realized I had not raced in three years and did not feel like gluing tires any more. Replaced them with Nucleons, ride them all the time with Bontrager Race X-Lite tires, love them. I felt I needed something more aero for the faster local rides so I got a pair of Euros's, same rubber, love them. Use them when I am planning on going fast. Now that monkey wrench, i ride the Euros in the back for strength under my fat butt and the Nucleon up front for comfort. I end up with a lighter combination, more strength, more comfort and cooler looks.

So, how many lamp posts are there on A1A? We have a pretty good ride down here in Lake Worth on New Years day if your'e interested, The Hangover Hundred (K).

saab2000
12-19-2003, 12:49 PM
Sounds like fun! I have not counted the lampposts on A1A but it is a bit of a monotonous road. But I ain't complainin' because I am able to ride practically every day. Cool!

I guess the Neutrons are the most current version of that wheel, or is it the Nucleon?

I still do not know if I should go with the tubular or the clincher!?!?! Decisions, decisions....

Anyway, I probably won't be getting a new set of wheels right away. Right now I must be a bit stingy with my money.

Bill Bove
12-19-2003, 12:57 PM
Yep, my bad on the nucleon/nuetron thing. I can't keep track all the time without looking at them. Contact me off the board if you want to try out either for the H.H.

vaxn8r
12-19-2003, 03:17 PM
Bill, you hit on a point that I have not seen mentioned before but have often wondered. Why don't people mix and match Campy wheels? I think the Eurus front is about 60 g lighter than the Neutron and the Eurus rear is about 60 g heavier than the Neutron....more or less.

So why don't more people do what you do and ride a lighter wheelset by using a Eurus front/Neutron rear?

I don't think you get a price break for buying the set do you?

Bill Bove
12-19-2003, 03:41 PM
I don't know why either, when I used to build my own wheels I used to use a slight aero profile rim on the rear wheel for strength and a box up front for comfort. That was back when Mavic made all their rims the same color so they all matched. Even now on my non boutique wheels I use 32r/28f with Campy Montreal 76 rims/ This way the rim width and braking remains unchanged.

saab2000
12-19-2003, 03:59 PM
...feel comfortable mixing wheels like that, even if it made sense. I am just like that. But it is a good idea.

I believe that the day will come when Campagnolo does not make so many Record-level wheels. Right now they make Neutron (clincher and sew-up), Eurus, Bora andHyperon (clincher and sew-up) and maybe even another one.

I guess I would love the Hyperons, but they cost way to much and I would not really feel comfortable riding in a group with wheels that cost that much. Also, the place where they would make the most sense, climbing big mountains, they have the drawback of the carbon braking surface.

The Neutrons may be the thing for me.

shinomaster
12-20-2003, 01:20 AM
Saab..I don't have the Eurus wheels but I do have the Zonda wheels, and Neutrons. The neutrons are smoother riding and more comfortable. The Zondas are fine in a crosswind and feel more stable to me while descending actually. I would think for flat, fast riding the Eurus wheels would be faster but not as comfortable.

rwl
12-20-2003, 07:42 AM
I ride the Euruses, (Euri?, Eurae? C'cmon folks, we have to decide what these things are called in pairs. The singular are way too expensive). For the record, I'm a cyledesdale with belgian leanings, with haunting dreams where i seem to recall a mustang adolescence). Love the wheels, miss the sewups. Stiff, not harsh, at all, in my opinion. (Recommendation, clearly: if you find them harsh, spend the winter at Olive Garden).

Y'all bring up a good point, which I haven't heard before. I'll have to drag myself into a wind tunnel to test it, perhaps. Does aero matter more (or perhaps less), in front, as opposed to the rear?(Sandy, this assumes a forward riding direction, rather than a gradual coast downhill, and backwards, on those tough climbs).

My intuition is the its more important for the front to be aero. But you never see disc wheels in the front, right?

Last summer I heard a rumor that the the Euri (or other new age mid profile affordable non-carbon, gee whiz G3 spoked wheels, whatever Campy decided to call them) would be available this coming year. Anybody know anything about that?