PDA

View Full Version : Flying with your bike advice?

ANAO
02-23-2017, 03:35 PM
In 2013, I took my bike to Israel. I had a trico sports iron case, or something like that. It was a big plastic clamshell. I paid $200 one way but luckily slipped through back home for free.

I'm looking into the <62" options now, and have 3 1 week+ trips planned for this year so I think it makes sense to buy something rather than leave the bike at home. I no longer have the trico.

I'm looking at:

Orucase - $400 (shoulder straps, custom made)
Gavilan BFF - $475/$575 without wheels/with wheels - you can also rent this for $50/trip
Renting a bike at the destination for $75/day

Any direction, or tips for flying? Haven't done this in a while and never in such disassembly.

hainy
02-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Sci con Aerocomfort is the only way to travel. Been on 5 overseas trips with mine with no damage and very little assemby required

rccardr
02-23-2017, 04:39 PM
EVOC bag works for me. Use it 10-12 times a year, zero damage ever.

kgreene10
02-23-2017, 04:42 PM
I've had a few and by far the easiest has been my Pika Packworks. It's a soft case but not even a hint of a problem with my very thin tubed carbon bike. On the other hand, TSA once failed to close my Trico hard case properly and a bike broke. Pika is light and highly maneuverable so with a kid in tow, it really makes things easier.

Benneke
02-23-2017, 04:47 PM
If you don't have a carbon bike, a cardboard box is the best option. Free at most bike shops, and you can stuff your clothes in the box to avoid extra checked baggage fees.

Plum Hill
02-23-2017, 04:52 PM
If you're looking at <62" thinking the bag will fly free, you better check the airline baggage policy.
I recently flew international on Swiss. Only one bag is free if flying economy.
My bike flew as the second piece of baggage in '02 and '06, but back then each passenger was allowed two bags.
Of course, $50 for an extra bag is cheaper than $150 for a bike (one way).

Clancy
02-23-2017, 09:36 PM
I've had a few and by far the easiest has been my Pika Packworks. It's a soft case but not even a hint of a problem with my very thin tubed carbon bike. On the other hand, TSA once failed to close my Trico hard case properly and a bike broke. Pika is light and highly maneuverable so with a kid in tow, it really makes things easier.

I thought the Pika along with similar sized bike cases are considered oversized and hit with a pretty high fee.

Do these bags count as the one bag allowed on overseas flights only? No oversize fees?

.RJ
02-24-2017, 07:44 AM
Do these bags count as the one bag allowed on overseas flights only? No oversize fees?

Oversize is still 62"/50-70 lbs for international flights. You'll need an S&S or Ritchey breakaway or Orucase or similar to avoid the fees.

Clancy
02-24-2017, 07:55 AM
Oversize is still 62"/50-70 lbs for international flights. You'll need an S&S or Ritchey breakaway or Orucase or similar to avoid the fees.

Would those that have used the Pika and similar recently jump in and comment on the fees they were charged.

$50 for an oversized bag is cheap in my mind if it means I can bring a bike in a case such as one of these.

gone
02-24-2017, 08:13 AM
Would those that have used the Pika and similar recently jump in and comment on the fees they were charged.

$50 for an oversized bag is cheap in my mind if it means I can bring a bike in a case such as one of these.
$150 - American Airlines, SciCon Aerocomfort. Would have been the same for a Pika or any case larger than 62 linear inches (i.e., non-S&S).

ANAO
02-24-2017, 08:36 AM
To clarify, I am not trying to circumvent baggage fees.

Only oversize/bike fees.

A friend has a Gavilan BFF which I am going to try to borrow and see how much hassle it is to break the bike down before investing myself.

54ny77
02-24-2017, 08:40 AM
http://bicycletimesmag.com/userfiles/flying_bike.jpg

Pierre
02-24-2017, 08:54 AM

ditto

jruhlen1980
02-24-2017, 11:08 AM
http://bicycletimesmag.com/userfiles/flying_bike.jpg

I came here just to see if anyone had posted something like this. Thanks :)

.RJ
02-24-2017, 12:20 PM

Check the airline websites, all the fees are listed. Used to be able to find one that charged $50 but havent seen fees that cheap in a long time.

sandyrs
02-24-2017, 12:52 PM
Check the airline websites, all the fees are listed. Used to be able to find one that charged $50 but havent seen fees that cheap in a long time.

I think Iceland Air is still $50 :)

OtayBW
02-24-2017, 12:59 PM

ditto
Just as a counterpoint, the first and only ding I ever got on my Legend Ti years ago came after a flight in one of these soft-side bags. I'm not diminishing anyone else's experiences, but for me, they offer great frame/fork stability, but zippo protection for a side impact. My $0.02...

shovelhd
02-24-2017, 03:00 PM
You basically have three choices. Pay the man, use one of these fork removal bags with a conventional frame, or get a coupled or breakaway frame. I chose the last option.

Dromen
02-24-2017, 03:28 PM
I never use the airlines. TSA seems to have policy/need to open every bike case and as finicky as most are to pack & secure properly, never once has TSA re-secured or packed everything properly. I still use old-school Thule 699 Round Trip Bike Travel Case - It just wont wearout.

Commercial shippers have never opened my box once. Thule

I always use Bikeflights.com for national and international shipping.

THink you said this was for international travel:
https://www.bikeflights.com/international_bicycle_shipping

572cv
02-25-2017, 07:09 AM
Your bike sounds pretty large, so the benefits of Orucase may not be realized. My bike is about a 56. I have traveled with a hard shell Thule, an Evoc, an S&S coupled case, and an Orucase. I currently am trying the Orucase ( as I didn't want to compromise the frame I was having built by adjusting the tubing to be rounded for the couplers). The case is light, easy to handle, and rides comfortably on top of my swivel suitcase at the airport. Really easy that way. The case offers good protection, no problem there. The size, for my frame, is technically over the 62" requirement, but it is difficult to measure accurately, looks smaller because it is black, and the overall package is light. It was waved through as an extra bag both times so far. Assembly/disassembly is fast and easy. I am carrying a little Silca torque kit I picked up on the forum, which helps. So, I am pleased with this overall. Orucase says that their bags will hit 62" for frames of about 53 and smaller.

That said, if you want to guarantee that your bike will travel as not-oversized, you have to hit that 62" o.a. limit, and that, for a larger bike, pretty much calls for the S&S case. I've kept my coupled bike and case, for occasions where I will have to travel one of the big US airlines whose policies are oh so strict and fees oh so high. Plus, a coupled Serotta is a nice riding bike any old time!

Ken Robb
02-25-2017, 10:17 AM
My bikefriday fits in a Samsonite hard suitcase.

572cv
02-25-2017, 10:59 AM
My bikefriday fits in a Samsonite hard suitcase.

Of course! I was being pretty parochial in my post, just thinking about road bikes. Bikes designed to fold can be a great choice.

nooneline
02-25-2017, 11:04 AM
I love my Orucase. I've used it a lot in the ~3 years I've had it, and I've loaned it out a lot, too. One friend rides a 57 and was able to fit his frame in it, though he had to take off the cranks.

I've never gotten charged, and I've always been able to fit my helmet, riding clothes, and shoes in the bag, too.

No damage - even when flying with race wheels (including a disc wheel, though I added some extra protection for that).

Packing or unpacking it takes about fifteen minutes and requires the multitool that's always in my seatpouch - no biggie.

It's seriously great.

http://i.imgur.com/FiX3sbL.png

ANAO
02-25-2017, 06:40 PM
Your bike sounds pretty large, so the benefits of Orucase may not be realized. My bike is about a 56. I have traveled with a hard shell Thule, an Evoc, an S&S coupled case, and an Orucase. I currently am trying the Orucase ( as I didn't want to compromise the frame I was having built by adjusting the tubing to be rounded for the couplers). The case is light, easy to handle, and rides comfortably on top of my swivel suitcase at the airport. Really easy that way. The case offers good protection, no problem there. The size, for my frame, is technically over the 62" requirement, but it is difficult to measure accurately, looks smaller because it is black, and the overall package is light. It was waved through as an extra bag both times so far. Assembly/disassembly is fast and easy. I am carrying a little Silca torque kit I picked up on the forum, which helps. So, I am pleased with this overall. Orucase says that their bags will hit 62" for frames of about 53 and smaller.

That said, if you want to guarantee that your bike will travel as not-oversized, you have to hit that 62" o.a. limit, and that, for a larger bike, pretty much calls for the S&S case. I've kept my coupled bike and case, for occasions where I will have to travel one of the big US airlines whose policies are oh so strict and fees oh so high. Plus, a coupled Serotta is a nice riding bike any old time!

Very helpful - I'm on a 56.

Thanks.