PDA

View Full Version : More disc brake follies

oldpotatoe
02-23-2017, 09:51 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/doull-claims-kittels-lethal-disc-brake-bike-almost-caused-serious-injury

bicycletricycle
02-23-2017, 09:52 AM
going to have to put chainguards on as well?

Mark McM
02-23-2017, 10:14 AM
Has the pro peloton fought against any other component changes as hard as they seem to be fighting against disc brakes?

In the past, some riders preferred not to use certain new technologies, such as clipless pedals or deep carbon wheels (particularly on cobbles), but I can't remember riders lobbying against letting anyone else use particular equipment.

ColonelJLloyd
02-23-2017, 10:20 AM

+1

It seems a disc rotor would be more protected by the overall wheel than sharp-toothed chain rings.

"Nothing else could cut like that, it’s like a knife, it cut straight through it. You can see that thin line, it’s exactly in line, cut there and cut there on my shoe and both straight through in an arrow-straight line."

If he says so. But, my chain rings are way sharper than my rounded and coated TRP rotor edges.

rustychisel
02-23-2017, 10:27 AM
+1

It seems a disc rotor would be more protected by the overall wheel that sharp-toothed chain rings.

If he says so. But, my chain rings are way sharper than my rounded and coated TRP rotor edges.

Maybe sharper, but nowhere near in as dangerous an area of the bike for causing damage. Disks are at either 'end' of a bike; chainrings in the 'middle'. Cuts and gashes from chainrings are not unknown, but grease smears are much more common, and that's because of their position within the overall bicycle 'shape'.

tuscanyswe
02-23-2017, 10:29 AM
Chainrings also does not continue to rotate when the rider stop pedaling unlike discs..

nate2351
02-23-2017, 11:53 AM
Making the sport more dangerous so Specialized can sell more Roubaixs, and the manufacturers have convinced the fans to belittle the riders for it!

El Chaba
02-23-2017, 11:54 AM
Making the sport more dangerous so Specialized can sell more Roubaixs, and the manufacturers have convinced the fans to belittle the riders for it!

This sums up the situation quite well.....

thirdgenbird
02-23-2017, 12:32 PM

I'm a bit sick of that comparison. It's not wise to accept an additional and unrelated risk just because a similar one has already been accepted. Each risk needs to be weighed and addressed individually. Not only do the risks associated with chainrings differ, but the alternative methods differ. I know people that have been injured (seriously cut) by spokes in races, but it wouldn't be prudent to enforce disc (spokeless) wheels as a knee jerk reaction because they pose their own set of risks and issues.

I'm not taking sides on the disc/rim debate. I only want to point out that the discussion is about risk mitigation and not risk elimination. The anti-disc camp makes a valid point that a potentially safer alternative to discs brakes, not only exists but is the current standard.

Blindly accepting a risk just because we accept a different risk is a slippery slope. It doesn't make sense to forget about safety just because the sport will never be 100% safe.

rnhood
02-23-2017, 12:48 PM
Awesome sprint by Cavendish in that video. Just seems like the final Km's carry pretty high risks no matter the braking tech. But adding anything that might exacerbate the risk is probably not a good idea - regardless of its advantages elsewhere.

Mark McM
02-23-2017, 12:59 PM

Yeah, but think of the great opportunities for marketing double speak:

"Disc brakes - going faster by going slower!"

"Slow is the new fast!"

bicycletricycle
02-23-2017, 02:55 PM
Your points are all correct, I don't care about discs too much. I'm just saying that if they start putting guards on things it may be hard to stop.

I'm a bit sick of that comparison. It's not wise to accept an additional and unrelated risk just because a similar one has already been accepted. Each risk needs to be weighed and addressed individually. Not only do the risks associated with chainrings differ, but the alternative methods differ. I know people that have been injured (seriously cut) by spokes in races, but it wouldn't be prudent to enforce disc (spokeless) wheels as a knee jerk reaction because they pose their own set of risks and issues.

I'm not taking sides on the disc/rim debate. I only want to point out that the discussion is about risk mitigation and not risk elimination. The anti-disc camp makes a valid point that a potentially safer alternative to discs brakes, not only exists but is the current standard.

Blindly accepting a risk just because we accept a different risk is a slippery slope. It doesn't make sense to forget about safety just because the sport will never be 100% safe.

ptourkin
02-23-2017, 04:46 PM
Photos suggest that wasn't what happened.

http://www.velonews.com/2017/02/news/did-disc-cut-doull-race-footage-suggests-it-didnt_431165

bikinchris
02-23-2017, 06:03 PM
Chainrings also does not continue to rotate when the rider stop pedaling unlike discs..

That doesn't matter much. I know of a rider who seriously injured a dog in a relatively slow crash.

nate2351
02-23-2017, 06:14 PM
Photos suggest that wasn't what happened.

http://www.velonews.com/2017/02/news/did-disc-cut-doull-race-footage-suggests-it-didnt_431165

Grainy helicopter footage. The two are right next to each other and the wave hits. I'd say if anything this footage makes it seem more probable.

Cicli
02-23-2017, 06:52 PM

And they dont get hot and rotate as well.

bitpuddle
02-24-2017, 02:03 AM
I fail to see how a rotor could have done this. Doull went down first and was to the left of Kittlel. To get his left foot in contact with the rotor would require some pretty remarkable contortion.

I'm not saying it is impossible (the video at that point was not clear), but it seems far more probable that he was caught up in the barrier and a sharp edge caught the shoe.

Dave B
02-24-2017, 04:51 AM
this is fun.

http://www.velonews.com/2017/02/video/video-can-disc-rotors-actually-cut_431182

colker
02-24-2017, 04:59 AM
this is fun.

http://www.velonews.com/2017/02/video/video-can-disc-rotors-actually-cut_431182

"Disc brakes are slowly overtaking the world of competitive road racing"

HOw many teams had discs on that race?

Two riders injured in two races and everybody calling them liars based on a video made at distance.. using contorted arguments against blood on their legs.

Discs may be fine for some applications and bad for others.. Is that such a hard line for us riders? Why do i have to side w/ a corporation that wants less options?

oldpotatoe
02-24-2017, 05:08 AM
Yeah, but think of the great opportunities for marketing double speak:

"Disc brakes - going faster by going slower!"

"Slow is the new fast!"

Cross guy before discs were 'sponsored' on him, 'If I wanted to STOP, I'd want discs, if I want to slow down, I want cantis'...tee hee...

Gonna be interesting but with sponsor $ and industry 'influence'(shimano/sram/trekspecializedgiantcannondale)...it'll happen, for good or ill. Gonna be kinda rocky for a few years tho.

oldpotatoe
02-24-2017, 06:10 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/marcel-kittel-stops-using-disc-brakes-at-abu-dhabi-tour

simonov
02-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Cross guy before discs were 'sponsored' on him, 'If I wanted to STOP, I'd want discs, if I want to slow down, I want cantis'...tee hee...

That's funny.

Dave B
02-24-2017, 11:32 AM
"Disc brakes are slowly overtaking the world of competitive road racing"

HOw many teams had discs on that race?

Two riders injured in two races and everybody calling them liars based on a video made at distance.. using contorted arguments against blood on their legs.

Discs may be fine for some applications and bad for others.. Is that such a hard line for us riders? Why do i have to side w/ a corporation that wants less options?

Fair enough, but there ins't proof that two guys were cut as a direct relationship to rotors. Yeah it is more than likely possible, but the video still shows that while damage can be done it isn't the saw blade people think it is.

I could care less what others ride. i have two bikes (road and a cross) that have discs and the only reason I have them is that was what was offered in two awesome trades. I have zero feelings on whether discs are the 'answer" or not, but I also don't ask myself that question.

I am more fed up with the variety of bottom bracket sizes to worry at all about disc brakes on a road/cross bike.

Although I will say that being a large lad, disc brakes would help me more than a 150lb or less cyclist. Well at least my physics mindset believes that.

cloudguy
02-24-2017, 11:40 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/doull-claims-kittels-lethal-disc-brake-bike-almost-caused-serious-injury

I watched the race highlights at the bottom of the page. The crowds there are absolutely amazing! Great to see all the turnout and interest from the locals.