PDA

View Full Version : When to start a child riding a bike

teleguy57
02-23-2017, 05:49 AM
Pivoting off @mustangski's post about the bike he has for his 5-year old, this first-time grandpa of a now 1 1/2 YO toddler is eager to get grandson riding when the timing is right. (Dad rides a bit as well so no resitance to my role there).

What type of bike, and when? All experiences and perspectives welcome!

carpediemracing
02-23-2017, 06:32 AM
Junior is just about 5, March 10th.

I don't feel any pressure to get him on a bike. We did receive a strider bike as a gift (from a fellow racer) when he was a week old, so I think the expectation is that if my life revolved around riding then he'd be on a bike pretty quickly. Not really the case.

He has a bunch of older nephews so we inherited a nice 12" wheel bike (bike shop bike, bought by my brother from the sponsor of my race series). I removed the cranks to make it into a balance bike, lower saddle than the actual strider bike we got.

He did a few 20 minute sessions on various strider/balance bikes when 2, 3, and 4, but never really got into it. I let it be. Maybe this spring I'll let him try again. At the races, which he seems to enjoy watching, there are a lot of kids rolling around. I figure if he wants to follow them around then he'll do what's necessary to do so.

Last fall he asked for pedals on his bike so I think it'll be one of these "all in one" learning things.

A fellow now-former racer has a son 1 year younger, so turning 4 this spring. That kid has been flying around on a balance bike for at least a year now, and I mean flying.

I started riding when I was 6 or 7 so I don't think it's a big deal if he learns later.

gemship
02-23-2017, 06:40 AM
I started at barely the age of 5 with training wheels:rolleyes:

Hilltopperny
02-23-2017, 06:57 AM
My daughter was 3 when I put her on a bike with training wheels. Don't rush it, but I'd start him as soon as he seems interested and can handle being on a real bike. At one and a half I'd stick with a big wheel trike if they still make them:beer:

oldpotatoe
02-23-2017, 07:21 AM
Pivoting off @mustangski's post about the bike he has for his 5-year old, this first-time grandpa of a now 1 1/2 YO toddler is eager to get grandson riding when the timing is right. (Dad rides a bit as well so no resitance to my role there).

What type of bike, and when? All experiences and perspectives welcome!

I got my grand daughter a strider when she was 2..she never really took to it in spite of all 4 of us trying(2 grand parents and 2 parents). I got her a Linus 16inch bike about a year ago(5th birthday), training wheels and she is about to have them removed(her idea)..Same for her sister who is 3..has a RadioFlyer(14 inch wheels) with training wheels..I think she will be w/o sooner. Should mention, the 3 year old had a really nice RadioFlyer trike she really loved. Loves the upright now, BUT no pressure, not a big deal. They'll get it..same for swimming. We all think swimming(being comfy in the water) is a survival skill 'just in case' but older not thrilled but no pressure, they will both get it.

saab2000
02-23-2017, 07:21 AM
No pedals. No training wheels. This seems like just the ticket.

I lifted this picture from Roadbikereview dot com and it seems like a bike without pedals, that allows a child to keep his/her feet on the ground and learn balance is the way go go.

Additionally, the tires make this a great intro to gravel riding and the one-piece monocoque frame provides an aero advantage. Thru axle design provides wheel security and proper alignment.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Look-No-Pedals.jpg

rustychisel
02-23-2017, 07:47 AM
No pedals. No training wheels. This seems like just the ticket.

I lifted this picture from Roadbikereview dot com and it seems like a bike without pedals, that allows a child to keep his/her feet on the ground and learn balance is the way go go.

Additionally, the tires make this a great intro to gravel riding and the one-piece monocoque frame provides an aero advantage. Thru axle design provides wheel security and proper alignment.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Look-No-Pedals.jpg

They are great!!!

My granddaughter got one when she was about 3, real bike with trainer wheels and pedals at about 4 1/2. Grandson gets around on a strider at 3.

When I was a kid I had a trike, then my first real bike just before turning 5.

The correct answer is 'when they're ready'.

Bradford
02-23-2017, 08:25 AM
I have a 10 and a 6 year old who both love their bikes. We stared them young and they haven't stopped yet.

Get a pedal-less bike and a helmet when they start walking and they will get on the bike when they are ready.

Our kids had a specialized Hot Walk because it looked more like a real bike and my wife liked that. But the Scuut bike and Strider do the same things just as well. You won't need to put them on the bike, they will figure it out all on their own and on their own time.

Once they are moving around on the coaster bike, the jump to a pedal bike is easy and can (should) be done without training wheels.

ultraman6970
02-23-2017, 08:46 AM
Mines started riding a bike between 2 and 3 y/o, I got them one of those Skoots in wood and then the tiniest bike I could find. But that doesnt mean they are dare devils in the bike right now tho.... they aren't.

Now that they are 9 and 10 I'm going to have a really hard time for them to ride a 24 or a 650 because they are just afraid. Dont ask me... looks like they have a lot better conservation instincts that I had at their age, because i was riding full size 28' bikes at 6 y/o, pretty much riding between the tubes :)

crimedog
02-23-2017, 09:10 AM
I got my son a balance bike (strider) and a matching Bell helmet when he was 1yr even though I knew it was too early. We treated it like any of his other toys and I've never pushed him to ride it. We probably "worked" on his bike more than he rode it at first. Once he got a bit bigger he started walking it around the house and later the neighborhood. Once he got more comfortable he started gliding like intended and is starting to get good. He's 3 now.

From what I've seen of other kids there is a wide range of ages where they get comfortable on a bike, all kids seem to mature differently at different tasks. I've heard of other kids who learned better on a pedal bike but I think that a balance bike is the way to go. They are so much lighter which is reason enough. Pretty cheap too.

cmbicycles
02-23-2017, 09:21 AM
Mine got started on bikes around 4/5, no pressure, they had trikes too. Took a year til they were without training wheels and that just happened one day out of the blue (after having tried a few times previously to take them off). Now they are 8/9 and tearing around on 24" geared bikes (with pink doll carriers on the back ;) )
Yesterday my 9yr old hopped on an adult hybrid bike I had fixed up, "Daddy, I really like this bike," and she was gone riding around the house and neighborhood for the next 1/2 hour on it saying how fast and comfy it was... it planed and was stiff yet compliant. ;) She has the desire to go road biking with me but the attention... look squirrel... sorry, she had trouble focusing so we've held off until this year. Birthday is a mini C'dale R600 I am fixing up to start out on closed roads.

The younger one enjoys biking too, and got off training wheels quicker, but biking had to be on her terms. She can keep up with big sis just fine, and is barley an inch shorter. Mentally she shuts down after a few miles of riding, and is more content to sit and have tea parties and choir practice with her toys.

You kind of have to know your kids and when to nudge a little or let it go. They learn fastest when they are the most involved in the decision/desire rather than when it is pushed on them.

humboldt
02-23-2017, 09:28 AM
Started mine at age 2 on a Specialized Hotwalk. By age 3 they could balance and pick their feet up. For the 4th birthday got the oldest a Commencal Ramones 14 and he was able to ride it within 15 mins without training wheels. It seems the biggest thing is getting a small enough bike that they fit on it and can control it.

rePhil
02-23-2017, 09:50 AM
We have two grand kids, A boy and girl that that took to Striders and started racing them on the BMX track when they were a young three. They progressed to racing pedal bikes on the track at three.
Strider Bikes have a huge presence in Florida.Ironically I don't think any LBS sells them, which is sort of a mystery to me.

In comparison, two older grand kids learned on bikes with the pedals removed by rolling down the driveway at age five and six.

So to answer the original question, get them a Strider or other push bike.... and a helmet.

Corso
02-23-2017, 12:02 PM
3 kids (all young adults now), but I used the same basic “rules” to get them off train gin wheels.

Gear: FULL GEAR: helment, gloves, knee & elbow pads, shin pads, and for 2 out of 3, their hockey shoulder pads.

All 3 felt “safe” from falling when wearing the gear. Really did wonders for confidence, which is half the battle. When they did fall, zero injuries, and no problem trying again. The tried and true running along while holding the back of the seat also boost confidence.

Place: Empty (weekend) industrial park parking lots, slight downhill grade. Easier to pedal on pavement than grass or dirt. With no one around, the kids can focus on the task, and not feel the pressure of “people watching” them fall. Once they could ride alone, it was great to see them proudly “reveal” their skill to mom and others in the neighborhood.

All 3 were on 2 wheels after a single day. Didn’t hurt that they all could ice skate before the training wheels came off.

I also helped others in my neighborhood with their kids using the same as above.

Man, it’s not long before they go to cars! Where does the time go?

Good luck!

KidWok
02-23-2017, 12:09 PM
Depends on the kid...my older boy has always been eager to join me at anything. I got him on a strider before he was two. Showed him too many Danny McCaskill videos so the first thing he tried to do was get onto the coffee table. He would sit with me as I built wheels and want to do it. Was on the back of the tandem with me at 3. Going for short rides with me on a trailer bike as soon as he could fit on one. Built up a Colnago Master X Light with Dura Ace for himself at 6 (it's a 55...he's got a few years to go, but he loves to wrench). He's 8 now and riding alongside me on his own 24" wheel road bike.

Now my younger (6) boy...well...he's never been all that excited about wrenching. I tow him on a trailer bike and he likes that because he can't fall behind. He's back there chatting up a storm and not pedaling, but it slows me down perfectly to keep pace with my older son.

I just asked my boys to go do a stairs workout (40 - 80 flights) with me...older boys face lit up and he was excited to go. I heard a groan from the next room from the little guy.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c151/TaiLee77/IMG_35268341809276_zps0oqzgxbd.jpeg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c151/TaiLee77/20141018_100406_zpspzagvimg.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c151/TaiLee77/20160911_095523_zps48wjm1r5.jpg

Tai

Britishbane
02-23-2017, 12:29 PM
Mine got one for his first birthday. He was not really into it for the next 9 months (mostly due to the fact that he didn't like wearing a helmet which meant we wouldn't let him ride), then something flipped, and he's on it most days now. We believed pretty strongly in letting him do what he wanted, w/o pressure from us.

Now he takes it to all my races and has even entered a few kids cross races.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7322/27169290060_e34362daac_c.jpg https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5788/29433779864_975dd835cf_c.jpg

Mustangski
02-23-2017, 01:19 PM
Both of my kids started at around two years old. I had never heard of a strider bike when my daughter started riding, she came off training wheels last year at seven years old. My son had a strider at first, that was a great bike and a great idea. They quickly learn balance, he just doesn't seem to be interested in riding without training wheels right now.

Ultimately, I think as long as the child seems interested in riding they will enjoy it at any age to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p nut
02-23-2017, 01:40 PM
Every kid's different. My first kid started when she was 2. Didn't really catch on till 3 (she'd just essentially walk the bike sitting on the saddle). Then, she really caught on, and transitioned to a pedal bike with ease by age 4.

Second kid did well on the Strider, also at age 2. But still hasn't transitioned to a pedal bike at 4.5. Nor seems to want to. Guess it'll happen when it happens.

By the way, we tested a few balance bikes. I found Strider had the lowest saddle height, compared to brands at REI and other bike shops. Something to consider if you start your kid young, like I did.

Gsinill
02-23-2017, 02:07 PM
Whatever age Sagan started...

joosttx
02-23-2017, 02:46 PM
This guy never wanted a bike because he could go faster on a tricycle. One day he told me he wanted to ride a bike and has never looked back. He just turned five when he started. I did not prod him. He simply decided one day to do it.

https://youtu.be/0A7AT_vDARc

pgrizzwald
02-23-2017, 02:46 PM
Good timing on this inquiry OP. My boy is about to turn 2 and I've been looking at Stryder bikes. Haven't been sure whether age 2 or 3 would most appropriate...but it seems it really depends on the kid/individual. Might as well go ahead and get one and see if he takes to it!

josephr
02-23-2017, 03:06 PM
This guy never wanted a bike because he could go faster on a tricycle. One day he told me he wanted to ride a bike and has never looked back. He just turned five when he started. I did not prod him. He simply decided one day to do it.

https://youtu.be/0A7AT_vDARc

Story mimics my own....stepson was about 5 never,never wanted a bike but would ride the crap out of his razor scooter. One day we were at a friend's house playing the back yard and he asked his friend's son if he could ride his bike....he just hopped on and that was that. Didn't even have to set down my beer! :beer:

heartattackride
02-23-2017, 03:37 PM
My son started around 2 1/2 on this, as a 3 wheeler, and went to 2 wheels around 4. It can go to a super low seat height so it was as simple as walking and holding on. Did training wheels on a 16" for about 3-4 months at 5 then never looked back. One day he wanted to look up " 5 years olds riding bikes" on google, after a few vids he said lets take off the training wheels...al the kids who used balance bikes quickly went to bikes easily around here.

heartattackride
02-23-2017, 03:44 PM
You can never go wrong with this classic bike...My son just after he turned 3.

azrider
02-23-2017, 04:02 PM
Bombing hills at 18 mos

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170223/018225e2eaf6181bcf26a3157620677c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlwdm
02-23-2017, 04:09 PM
My work partner and her husband are not into biking and have two daughters 3 years old and 8 weeks old. I bought the 3 year old a Specialized 16 last weekend for her birthday. She is barely big enough for it, but she will grow into it. She is having fun with training wheels.

Jeff

Dana Kilalps
02-23-2017, 05:34 PM
I got my granddaughter in a balance bike at age three, and showed her videos of kids having fun on them, but she showed no interest. She did like wearing a helmet though and preferred a vehicle with pedals. I seems she learned about helmets and pedals from characters on shows on her iPad.

teleguy57
02-24-2017, 08:38 AM
Been traveling and hadn't been able to check in on the thread, but thanks for all the comments -- and all the great photos! May try getting him a Stryder this spring.

David Tollefson
02-24-2017, 10:43 AM
My oldest is 16, and the only "bike" she's interested in is a drift trike. Where did I go wrong?

But my youngest, now just 3-1/2, got her first kick bike at 16 months (Christmas gift, made by me). She didn't get on it for a couple months, and then just around the house. Built with the 12" mags from the Balance Bike Center, it was kinda long due to the needed low seat height. The first day she had it outside, she was finding hills to ride down with her feet in the air. She had difficulties turning it around because of the long wheelbase, so when she was tall enough, I built another one much more compact. She's still on that one, but ready for the next size that'll be her first pedal bike. I'm waffling between 16" and 20" wheels, but given that she's low on the curve for height, it's looking like the 16's will be the better choice.

flydhest
02-24-2017, 11:02 AM
Kids are different. My daughter started on a strider at 2 and a bit and was riding a bike with pedals and no training wheels at 3. I took her to preschool everyday by bike and she loved it. My son, well work changed for me and he had less frequent trips to preschool by bike. Didn't like the strider that much. Eventually mastered it at almost 4 years old. Did one 5 minute session on a pedal bike and decided he didn't want to do more. Go figure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jruhlen1980
02-24-2017, 11:05 AM
I mean, the Mongols started their kids riding horses at age 2, so that's basically the same:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_culture_in_Mongolia

pdmtong
02-24-2017, 11:20 AM
By the time my daughter was 12 she had "owned" 16 bikes life to date.

After the initial department store 12" and 16" there were
Mountain bike hardtail and full suspension and downhill and commuter beater. Road bikes 24" wheel a 44 and now a 48cm.

Point is - craigslist and buy bikes that fit (sometimes in advance of growth when deal is found)

When? When they want to. Make it fun. Ride to ice cream. To a park bench to watch birds. To a play stricture. They ride to something hey don't ride to ride

Helmet. Gloves. Camelbak?

REI makes great kids Baggie shorts with chamois Performance is another option

Training wheels were on until 4.5 and once they came off she just rode away. I was robbed of the time honored tradition of running with her. Why? Razor scooter at day care had her balanced long before I knew. Only kid so I was on my own to figure this out

Start off with seat low enough they can flat foot. Raise slowly as confidence grows

I'm lucky my kid can really ride and she can handle any single track I can as well as climb 35/3000 is well within her range she even won a few cx races

I realize that not all kids take to it. But there are windows of time for you to spend time riding with your kid to help them learn the techniques and show them the joys. If you can make that time investment it may return with great rides together in the future

There's one 1/4 mile 5% near the end of our normal road loop and when we get to the base i know she is winding up to race me. That's a lot of fun when the gloves are thrown

So I guess the answers is when? As early as possible but make it fun and put in the time

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170224/e0515ae9c790dc8ca816ecb3b0bc820d.jpg

saab2000
02-24-2017, 11:34 AM
This is what happens when kids ride bicycles. Don't let this happen to your kids!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0BF3bVfDyg

joosttx
02-24-2017, 11:41 AM
Just a plug for Cleary bikes.

The company is local to Marin (manufacturing is not). Both kids have them and the are rock solid bikes which I highly recommend.

https://clearybikes.com/collections/bikes

teleguy57
02-24-2017, 12:13 PM
This is what happens when kids ride bicycles. Don't let this happen to your kids!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0BF3bVfDyg

Priceless. Fortunately, it's about grandkids for me now:beer:

flydhest
02-24-2017, 12:58 PM
Just a plug for Cleary bikes.

The company is local to Marin (manufacturing is not). Both kids have them and the are rock solid bikes which I highly recommend.

https://clearybikes.com/collections/bikes

+1
My daughter is on her second.