PDA

View Full Version : if you won the lottery...

Climb01742
08-07-2006, 04:04 PM
what bike related purchases, costs be damed, would you make? seems as though categories are needed/appropriate:

1. what component?

2. what frame?

3. what trip?

4. what PED? oops...

Serotta PETE
08-07-2006, 04:08 PM
what bike related purchases, costs be damed, would you make? seems as though categories are needed/appropriate:

1. what component? Crank Zipp 3000 with aero gravity brakes and hyperion wheels

2. what frame? MEIVICI

3. what trip? Back to Ottrott

4. what PED? oops...

ie - - SPOKES Meivici

swoop
08-07-2006, 04:13 PM
1) i'd sponsor a local team (juniors and masters).
2) walser tt rig
3) peg love #3, sachs cross, mievici, not in any order
4) pretty wheels by cees
5) xxx-lite deep rims for crits
6) cosmic carbones tubbies too
7) a carbon/aluminum Predator (my friend makes them)
8) Lotus, and a Caymen
9) rocket 7's even if it takes a year to get the fit i want.
10) unicahome.com, dwr.com, velocityartanddesign.com

ummm.... shoot i'm just getting started.

DarkStar
08-07-2006, 04:20 PM
One Kirk Terraplane, A Vanilla, and a Mariposa all fitted out with Campy would be sitting in my new garage before to long! Following the arrival of the bikes an extended tour of Tuscany with my new bikes. Speaking of lotteries, the local one is currently at $32 million, time to buy a ticket. :D

texbike
08-07-2006, 04:20 PM
I'd love to have a pro-level VO2 max and an after work out masseuse. :rolleyes:

Grant McLean
08-07-2006, 04:24 PM
i'd buy the world a coke, and go.

g

stevep
08-07-2006, 04:39 PM
i have all the bike shiite that i want right now.

might buy a bunch of new wheels for the team guys though...
they go through wheels like hell....rest of the stuff is good enough already. ( or too good , as the case may be )

just came back from a trip, need to rest at work for awhile before another one.

72gmc
08-07-2006, 04:40 PM
1. campy chorus (the silver generation) with handbuilt wheels
2. one serotta legend, one kirk mrb, one retrotec 29er mtb
3. etape du tour with the legend, central oregon with the retrotec, anywhere with the mrb
4. my truck fully restored, bikes in back, cold moose drools in the cooler

wait, is it bad form to do all this before i set aside the college funds?

saab2000
08-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Prolly......

Meivici (stock 57 with no headtube extension and level top tube)
Record
ADA or 'similar' wheels
Rocket 7 or other custom shoes

MOVE BACK TO SWITZERLAND SOFORT SUBITO IMMEDIATEMENT

coylifut
08-07-2006, 04:45 PM
I'd buy a peice of land. Build a world class indoor velodrome on it, crit course around it, cx course around that. give it to OBRA

Too Tall
08-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Coylifut took the words out of my mouth. Jinx.

Plan "B" is to tell my wife to quit her job. :)

fstrthnu
08-07-2006, 04:49 PM
10 pair of ADA wheels, Tune Cranks and BB's, Zero Gravity Brakes all over the place, Parlee, Sachs... Calfee as a beater bike. I wouldn't sell my Team bikes every year. Walser TT bike with SRM and Corima wheels. Sponsor a few U-23's.

IMHO Bro's,

Fstrthnu

zap
08-07-2006, 04:54 PM
I'd set up a charitable organization first and fund it with decent seed money.

Bike related, maybe sponsor a local team that would tie in with the above.

Brian Smith
08-07-2006, 04:55 PM
wierd, funny juxtaposition of texbike and Grant's responses.
Once I was involved as a subject in an independent lab's tests of a new sports drink under marketing consideration by Coca Cola. The payoff was simply a free VO2 max test. Another group of subjects in another state got money, but they had tissue biopsies too. As far as I know, the product never made it to market. It made my lips numb whilst using it. We tested it against liquid A (Gatorade) and liquid B (water.) It didn't, in me, produce Landis-like results.

If I won the lottery, I'd hire Climb to start a bike company informed solely by the forum.
Imagine what we'd make...

(I'm not making fun of you or your post, Climb! I'm fresh out of ideas today.)

SPOKE
08-07-2006, 05:01 PM
posters said, "i have all the bike s**t covered" but i'd sure like to really take care of a few dear friends in some special way. then we could all go for rides all over the world. :beer:

Serotta PETE
08-07-2006, 05:06 PM
posters said, "i have all the bike s**t covered" but i'd sure like to really take care of a few dear friends in some special way. then we could all go for rides all over the world. :beer:

My BMW GS is awaiting you.....I will ride the 1100s and you can have Miss Beauty!!!! WHen do we leave.

Kevan
08-07-2006, 05:09 PM
I replied, "Please don't! I like my weekends free and a shop is too much work."

Here's to you guys that work in your shops; nothing but respect for your hard living.

I'd go for a scoop of Vanilla with everything on it.

Gothard
08-07-2006, 05:17 PM
A Hors Categorie with Campy. Oh wait, I have one coming... :banana:

I'd pay off the house, and work much less, and ride more.

BumbleBeeDave
08-07-2006, 05:21 PM
. . . a series of forum members gatherings around the country, with a drawing held for 10 members to get all expense paid trips to each one.

BBD

BoulderGeek
08-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Bikes are lovely.

Motorcycles are great.
- new R1200GS
- New K1200S

But Helicopters (http://www.eurocopter.com/ec120/#) are what I lust for and are thwarted by economics.

Maybe one of the new mini jets for a fixed wing, as well.

Then, invest well for residuals, and move to La Grave, France. Maybe Chamonix.

Frustration
08-07-2006, 05:59 PM

I would set about starting a cycling Pro League that was backed by ASO and the other tour and race organizers.

I would make a contribution to WADA so large that they would allow me to fire Dich Pound and replace him with someone that loved sport more than the sound of their own voice.

I would buy out ASO and sell the rights to the tour de France to an Italian Company

But first I would take 10 million and offer it to the guys at the lab in France that tested Floyds Pee to admit that they manipulated the single sample under pressure from Le Equipe.

davids
08-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Winning the lottery evokes dreams of summer houses and early retirement, starting charitible foundations and serious tikkun olam ("mending the world".)

The thing about bikes is that even the most outrageously expensive are obtainable, with sufficient scraping and savings. Maybe that wasn't a sufficiently income-sensitive thing to say - I should say that, at my income level, I could (with sufficient scraping and sacrifice) get what I wanted.

So, my dream stable would look something like this:

Serotta Ottrott - To perfect my Nove.
Richard Sachs special-issimo - For a master's work and because, even though I haven't met the guy yet, I think he's great.
A Vanilla - Sacha's an artist. Period.
A titanium Tournesol 650B Sportif, like the one that dbrk posted in the gallery - Something for cruising through the NE countryside. After a summer in Maine, I get it.
A tandem, either from Co-Motion or Santana, with S&S couplers. So I could ride with my wife or daughter.
A singlespeed/fixie - Something built around a nice steel frame, with a flip-flop rear hub and room for fenders. Simple, smooth and sturdy.
A Santa Cruz Blur - For winters at Wompatuck.

...OK, maybe I would need to win the lottery to get all those toys. Looks like I'd be chasing the $35k dream, or so.

As far as components, nothing provokes serious lust. I'll take handbuilt wheels over the high-zoot stuff, and Ultegra makes me happy (although lottery winners ride Dura Ace.) Maybe I'd buy one of those Garmin GPS things. Maybe I'd get one for my data-nerd riding buddy instead. I think that would make both of us happier...

Trips would be the most fun. I want to go mountain biking in Moab, and climb some of the French Alps. And take my friends.

keno
08-07-2006, 06:09 PM
A Richard Sachs Cycles franchise.

keno

atmo
08-07-2006, 06:23 PM
A Richard Sachs Cycles franchise.

keno
is there room at the hilton?
arrange that, and we'll "talk" atmo.

Kevin
08-07-2006, 06:27 PM
I would become partners with Ben and hang out in Saratoga.

Kevin

taz-t
08-07-2006, 06:27 PM
is there room at the hilton?
arrange that, and we'll "talk" atmo.

uh... sorry atmo. Maybe next year?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060806/ap_en_tv/people_paris_hilton

taz-t
08-07-2006, 06:33 PM
uh... sorry atmo. Maybe next year?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060806/ap_en_tv/people_paris_hilton

damn - late again... I'll shut up now.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=20086

Avispa
08-07-2006, 06:46 PM
1. what component?
2. what frame?
3. what trip?
4. what PED? oops...

1. Record... Money is not the issue on this one!
2. Same as now, Legend Ti and Ottrott ST.... Sorry, no need a Mei Vici to know I can hurt myself riding hard!
3. Finger Lakes every year to drive DBRK crazy. House in Solvang and in Florida. Aparment in Spain, perhaps.
4. Floyd's choice... or was it a conspiracy?

BdaGhisallo
08-07-2006, 06:47 PM
If I win the lottery, it's the Powerball jackpot of $250 odd million!

So, first thing is I put an indoor velodrome in the back yard.

Then I get the best cycling knowledgable biomechanic to sort me out and give me a great position. If they can do it, I want Petacchi's physique and position - just magic!

Then the personal trainer - I'd take Michelle Ferrari or Luigi Cecchini.

For the bike - Parlee and a few Pegorettis

Custom shoes for the feet - Rockets or D2

Wheels - a shedload of Lightweights. Ventouxs and Obermayers out the wazoo.

A fully kitted out support vehicle and a personal soigneur to follow me and cater to my every need.

The list could go on and on but that covers the basics.

Fat Robert
08-07-2006, 06:47 PM
love # 3

record carbon

ada

p-i-m-p

Fixed
08-07-2006, 06:50 PM
bro a eddy merckx corsa made from 753 tubes.with a fork made by tom kellogg just for it .
cheers

gt6267a
08-07-2006, 07:04 PM
moots ybb mtn bike - i'm not even a good mtn biker. it just looks hot.

cs124
08-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Teschner scandium.
Baum Ti.
Llewellyn steel.
Derosa Protos carbon.
HSG IT.
All with DA.
A snazzy new bike each for the gang.
A selection of wheels from the usual suspects.
Regular trips to the Alps, Dolomites, Schwartzwald, Rockies...the list goes on.
Ride lots.
Spend more time with my family.

1centaur
08-07-2006, 08:03 PM
The velodrome comment made me remeber that years ago I figured out that you never have enough money to do everything you can think of that might be fun. The catalyst for that conclusion was that at the 1976 Olympics the velodrome cost $90MM. So I don't think even $250MM before taxes ($70MM in a one pay and $40MM after taxes) would get everything fun in cycling, but....

ADA-type wheels

trips with an interpreter/good cyclist to France for Ventoux and the Alpe and to Italy for various passes.

Houses on good cycling routes in New Hampshire, California, and wherever else my search for cycling greatness took me.

Masseuse on call

Clavicula cranks.

stevep
08-07-2006, 08:14 PM
centaur,
i bet if you put something on this site you could cobble together a decent group to go to the alps/ italy/ etc.
you dont need an interpreter...you get used to the language in a couple of days...
so, you get sausage pizza when you wanted pineapple... no big deal.
you will have a great time. memorable.

dbrk
08-07-2006, 08:24 PM

1. what component? Simplex 6600 with Simplex bar end shifters and demultiplicator...

2. what frame? Mariposa, Herse, Singer, Sachs, Goodrich, Weigle, Kirk, Toei, CSi...a coupla'others...

3. what trip? Out the driveway...

4. what PED?...

Wait a minute...I have that stuff. Lucky me. Nuthin' else.

dbrk

Ginger
08-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Lets see...
Components Record and SRAM

Frames. I have my Kirk...A CSi...I'm sure Ben would let Kelly build me one if I asked nicely. ;)
A Vanilla cruiser of sorts, A Sachs, A Strong hardtail and a Titus FS.

Trip
All sorts...I'd be gone all the time. Spain, Bhutan, Italy, Ireland, Peru....the list goes on.

PDA...Yeah...I'd have to get me some o' that... *oh* you said PED...nevermind.

shinomaster
08-08-2006, 12:22 AM
I'd get the new Record junk, a Sachs ( to see if he could make me a bike that fits my messed up body), A mevici, (to see if they could make me a bike I like the second time around) and I would go to Italy and ride all over, and eat real pizza that didn't taste like Shiit. I would visit Dr. Ferrari and see what steps he would take to make me a better rider.

Serpico
08-08-2006, 12:44 AM
in no particular order

parlee, sachs, pegoretti, kirk, nagasawa, legend, ANT

new campy stuff, some NOS Ti campy seatposts

japan, france

swoop
08-08-2006, 12:53 AM
i was thinking too small and forgot this one last thing. i would take my schwinn stingray and have a mold made so that i get get the entire bike fabricated in carbon and have cee's work up some wheels. pimp cranks.

toaster
08-08-2006, 01:02 AM
Cervelo Soloist Carbon
Campagnolo Record group 2007
Zipp 404 wheels

Spain

Deca, Winstrol, Epoetin Alfa, Somatropin, caffeine.

Or, an altitude tent and a harem of young women!

bcm119
08-08-2006, 01:14 AM
I'd get a Fina and build it with D/A 10 as a pure race bike, with several different wheelsets. I'd also have an IF club racer for a rain bike, and a Comotion with s&s couplers for a travel bike. Oh yeah, I might visit Chester to see what the hub bub is all about too.

Bruce K
08-08-2006, 08:57 AM
I have been giving this one lots of thought.

There is very little I can think of that I would buy bike-wise at the moment.

I love my Ottrott and my Concours Cross. There is very little I truly lust for.

Anything I would go for would be pure bling and more than this little engine probably needs.

But since this isn't about need, for fun toys, it would be great to own an e-richie, a Kirk Terraplane, a Parlee (support your local bike maker!).

Maybe some wheels from Cees, SRAM road gear for a couple of the bikes mentioned above.

A trip to the Carpenter-Phinney Bike Camp in Tuscany with my wife and son. He can ride, she can explore.

A bike tour of the Southwest US for a week or two is something I would love to do.

I like the idea of sharing a Serotta gathering with some of the money.

But foremost (even though I'm listing it last here), BIG donations to the Pan-Mass Challenge, the Sunflower Revolution/Davis Phinney Foundation, the MS Society, and the Brain Tumor Society.

BK

m_moses
08-08-2006, 09:00 AM
Wait a minute...I have that stuff. Lucky me. Nuthin' else.

dbrk

I'd make dbrk an offer he couldn't refuse! ;)

djg
08-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Let's see ... the first time, I took the two free tickets and splurged on nothing. The prizes were themselves losers.

Another time I won ten bucks. I put the ten bucks in my wallet. I'd be hard pressed to say that I splurged on anything, but I really don't recall.

The winning streak does continue however. I understand that there is a free Serotta water bottle on its way to Virginia, where it will be mine, mine, mine. An interesting and potentially historical prize is the TdF DVD that I won in one of the daily WCP giveaways in July. I haven't seen it yet, as it's not actually ready to ship, but they say they'll send it when it's done.

Fixed
08-08-2006, 09:32 AM
mei vici

rsl
08-08-2006, 09:33 AM
I would like to give to several charitable causes, but once that was taken care of, I'd enjoy watching wife choose a custom builder and see what sort of beautiful bike(s) she ended up with.

For myself, I'd be heading out to Worcester to have Zank build me a cross bike to compliment my road bike. I'd also like to give Sacha complete discretion (other than requesting the bike be fitted with some wooden fenders) and see what flavor of Vanilla he'd create for me. Finally, a Jonny Cycles fixie would round things out nicely I think.

Steelman
08-08-2006, 11:11 AM
1. DeRosa NeoPrimato.

2. Richard Sachs in ADR colours with Croce D'uane for rain bike.

Tom
08-08-2006, 12:00 PM
(1) A new bike for Karen. Just because.

(2) Time. Not the bike, the thing.

fiamme red
08-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Alex Moulton New Series stainless detachable

Fixed
08-08-2006, 12:08 PM
how about serotta forum model I would order 100 for all my bros
cheers

MartyE
08-08-2006, 02:24 PM
A chrome Herse,
a 60's Pogliaghi road
a 1970 Colnago super
Ottrott St
Pegoretti
Campy Record, Nuovo Record and Super Record components
with exception of the R. Herse, then I'd use Simplex.

I'd tour Italy, especially Tuscany, maybe go up to France and pedal up Ventoux.

Peds? who needs PEDS when I just won a bazillion simolies ?

marty

scooter01
08-08-2006, 03:11 PM
I would get Spoke a fit cycle, then go from their :)

musgravecycles
08-08-2006, 08:11 PM
I'd move to Italy and pay Round to let me apprentice at his shop for several years.

Then I'd buy a small grape/olive farm in italy and let my wife and children run it while I built a small shop out back of the farm house and built to my hearts content, living the good life.

I'd contribute to the tracks that several others have mentioned. What else...

Bikes...Oh yeah..I'd have one from the masters (E-Redissimo, and Roundissimo) for inspiration... Campy, ADA(race), Joe Young (training), yadda yadda....

yim
08-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Alex Moulton re-issue GT. :rolleyes:

Bora wheels for my Sachs. :D

To visit Sachs ,Nagasawa and Dr. Moulton.

J.Greene
08-08-2006, 08:29 PM
I'd like to see how many bills it would take to get e-Richie to build a tandem.

JG

ShortRider
08-08-2006, 09:13 PM
I'd get a custom touring bike from Vanilla, and the Hase Pino tandem. I'd also buy a bunch of Breezer commuter bikes and give them away.

GoJavs
08-08-2006, 10:36 PM
I'd never feel guilty again about a bike purchase. Oh, heck, who am I kidding...I still would...it's in my genes...

Beyond that, donations, bigger houses for family members and all that good stuff... :)