PDA

View Full Version : Bopple Hill?

Keith A
08-07-2006, 02:34 PM
So who has done Bopple Hill before? BBDave and I are toying with the idea of riding this on Friday morning of the Ramble and wanted to get some feedback from some of you that have ridden up this little bump in the road.

I found this report on the 'net of some guy's first time up it, and here is what he had to say...

Bopple hill is somewhat of a legend around these parts. This was my first attempt to climb it. It rises 600 feet in 0.8 miles and has an interesting profile. The first half of the climb is steep (probably >15%). There is a small section half way up that flattens enough to give you a breather. The second half then climbs at a gut-wrenching 22% for almost 0.4 miles.

My legs weren't ready for this climb. I settled into a rhythm for the first half and had no choice but to use my triple. 30x23 was plenty tough at >15%. Heart rate was steady at 183. I think I probably kept a constant, yet paltry 5-6mph. The flat section half was up was a welcome relief, but the sight of the 22% section sent shivers down my spine. I've been riding for MANY, MANY years, and generally think that I'm a decent climber (I'm only 155 lbs), but the second half of this climb kicked my A$$. For the first time in my life, I actually had to swing across the road from side to side to avoid dumping the bike or watching my legs fall from my aching hips. I was in pain. Twice, I seemingly had no choice but to spew hatred filled words into the air aimed directly at the sick ba$tard who decided to put a road right here.

Alas, I did not walk one inch of that ba$tard. Furthermore, next time I climb it I'll know what to expect (and I'm bringing my 12-25 instead of my 13-23). Whew!

Ginger
08-07-2006, 02:38 PM
It does appear on the Highlander century route map...you have fun with that. ;)

dbrk
08-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Senator, I know KeithA. KeithA is a friend of mine. And KeithA will get up Bopple Hill just fine. Heck, he'll do it and want to do it again. Dave'll be fine too, btw. (Add Lloyd Bentsen glower...one of my favorites.)

I do it a coupla' times a year just to remind myself that it's there. Sure, it's the steepest one around but it's not the most fun. There's no view at the top that you can't otherwise have. There are a slew of other long, hard climbs that are more manly. But for pure up, this is a good experience. I recommend it.

dbrk

Ginger
08-07-2006, 02:44 PM
Douglas,
You'll have to point out the more manly climbs on a map...for those inclined to ride them.

SGP
08-07-2006, 02:51 PM
there is a graveyard at the top.

Keith A
08-07-2006, 02:56 PM
I do it a coupla' times a year just to remind myself that it's there. Sure, it's the steepest one around but it's not the most fun. There's no view at the top that you can't otherwise have. There are a slew of other long, hard climbs that are more manly. But for pure up, this is a good experience. I recommend it.So dbrk-pal, what climbs would you recommend for good manly fun? Whatever we do, we will be bringing WeiSan and possibly Smiley along with us.

Tom
08-07-2006, 03:08 PM
The middle part gives you a little break. Just don't get cocky. The last kick up to the road is pretty good. (BBDave, the top part is very similar to that steep part on the first part of Ennis Road, maybe a little steeper.)

The long hill on the Highlander right after Bopple is more fun, and if I remember right you come out at a good view. It's not as steep but it goes for a while. Then again, anything after Bopple doesn't feel very steep.

I liked all those roads out there. Dr. Brooks obviously done good to wind up living in a neighborhood like that.

Climb01742
08-07-2006, 03:18 PM
there is a graveyard at the top.

man, that's one tough hill.

ols
08-07-2006, 03:20 PM
If you are after steep, in addition to Bopple, the other super steep climb that was notable on the Highlander century is called Sliter Road. (Probably doesnt help that it's at around the 65 mile mark.) The Highlander website says Bopple tops out around 22% and Sliter is around 23%

Sliter isnt particularly scenic compared to how gorgeous it is around there otherwise, but if you are looking for steep, that's also one to consider for your list.

On Bopple, the ride along the lake to the base of the climb is just beautiful next to all the lakefront homes, so you should make sure to enjoy that too on the way to the graveyard.

Ray
08-07-2006, 03:26 PM
I don't know Bopple hill specifically, but if you go to the village of Naples and then attempt to leave it on a bike, you will do an epic climb. I did the Bon Ton Roulet one year and we did a day from Canandaigua to Naples to Hammondsport (I think, it the town on the south end of Keuka Lake) that was climb after climb after climb, with a few epics tossed in. Lots of steep, some longer than others. One, I think Italy Hill Road, south of Naples, was particularly memorable.

-Ray

jeffg
08-07-2006, 03:37 PM
I rode Bopple and then did Gannet a couple times a couple years ago (and even met dbrk).

The houses towards the bottom are very pretty, though dbrk is right that there are prettier views.

But make no mistake: the riding in the Finger Lakes is awesome and not to be missed!

Take Tom's good advice and relax a little on the flat section and you will be fine. If you have a decent gear you can push all the way!

Short and steep can get your heart racing but cant break you unless you attack it with a stupid gear. It's not Ventoux or Mt. Washington (or even Devil's Kitchen, to be honest)

I want to ramble and get a Tournesol Leger!

Ahneida Ride
08-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Is Bopple worse then 4 mile Okemo ? Okemo has some 20% grades.

I've got a 22/29 gear. I'll try anything.

Over 22% my front wheel just comes off the ground.

I'l love to try Bopple !

Brian
08-08-2006, 02:20 PM
I've ridden the Highlander the last three years. It is a magnificently beautiful and epic ride. Bopple is as described above: a very steep first half, a brief (75m) respite in the middle followed by a brutally steep second half. I’ve used a 30-25 and have been able to remain seated – barely. The first time I went up it I was just hoping to get to the top, the second and third times were easier as I knew what to expect. The biggest problem with Bopple is that it softens you up for the 2-mile, 9% climb up to Gannett Peak, which starts about ½ mile after Bopple.

But OLS makes a great point about Sliter Road. This miserable hill starts at mile 64.5 – after 6,000 feet of climbing - and exceeds 20%. I actually had to work to keep my front wheel on the road the hill is so steep. While I never had to serpentine across the road, I did manage to set an all-time record for minimum speed while climbing: 4.1 mph! Out of our group of nine strong riders, three were walking their bikes on Sliter (none had to walk on Bopple).

As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, those in our group without triples used mountain bike cassettes to tackle the Highlander. They were thrilled they did.

Tom
08-08-2006, 02:57 PM
I've only ridden the Highlander once and I have to go back because I started up Sliter too quick and punked out half way up. I didn't walk, but I did stop and stand for a couple of seconds to catch my breath before I started again. I was mad because I could have cleaned the whole ride if I didn't do that.

It's funny. I can't serpentine. See my comment about the In-Laws. I start thinking serpentine and all I can see is Alan Arkin, under fire, running back to where he started so he can start doing the serpentine and I start laughing and that screws everything up. Plus I don't want to go back to the bottom of the hill so I can start doing the serpentine myself so I just head straight up.

And not to thread drift too much, laughing while you're going up hill doesn't help. This morning a pocket dog came out while I was headed up Rynex and every time my pedal came around the bottom he took a little hop up to try and get my ankle. It was so small it would have to jump up to get above my shoe. I just burst out laughing. I had to stop because it persisted for about 75 yards doing that and I grew worried it'd fall under my wheel. I had to yell at it to go home, I pointed out the possum in the other lane and asked it if it wanted to wind up like that. After a few "You're lucky I'm in a good mood" yaps and huffs from it, it sauntered home having sorted out the order of things.

hypnos
08-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Keith,

I hope I'm able to bail-out of work next Friday. Looking forward to riding the hills with ya. If you are in the same form as when we met a few years ago, you'll be just fine. I have always been able to summit Bopple Hill Rd with a 36X29. In my experience, the key to climbing these steep roads is not starting too hard. If you become anaerobic, there is no way to recover. After you tackle the Bopple, Gannet Hill Rd is less than a mile away. The first 1.3 miles is not quite as steep. I can usually get by with my 36X26. All the effort invested in reaching the very top is rewarded with some wonderful views.

Looking foward to the Ramble.

Jeff