PDA

View Full Version : Ride report: Mt Holyoke and HR fun and games

Climb01742
08-07-2006, 01:09 PM
yesterday, s.o. climb and i drove out to western mass to do a last, pre-MW climbing test. out near amherst and northampton is skinner state park, which encompasses mt holyoke (the mountain, not the college. ;) )

here's a profile and some info:

http://www.northeastcycling.com/Hill_Climbs.html

for reference, the dude whose site this is, rates MW a "5" for difficulty, so mt holyoke's "4" ain't shabby.

i was also testing out my final incarnation of my MW climbing rig: a peg fina, with pimpin' pmp 175 MTB cranks, which let me run 30-44 chainrings, mated to a 9-speed MTB cassette, maxing out with a 34t. i had tried a scott CR1 with a triple (which was 2 pounds lighter) two weeks ago but the triple crank Q messed with my hips/legs, plus i was getting chain rub with the scott. there ain't no chain rub with a fina. and, i wanted the most efficient drivetrain i could get, hence a peg. the fina weighs in at 18.4 pounds. not svelte but not heavy. i think weight is maybe a bit overplayed on MW. give me super-efficent. that said, i will try to drop two pounds off of me by the 19th. i'm at 147 now, so i'll shoot for a kilo less.

a pretty interesting thing happened on mt holyoke. it's 12% grade at the bottom sure gets your attention. at 1.7 miles, the climb isn't long but the 9.2% average grade makes it an interesting test. i rode it a couple of times. on the first climb, i was thinking, depending on how this goes, i either will or won't do MW. on that first ascent, i hit a max HR of 181 (a new alltime high for me) and stayed near 170 of most of the climb. it wasn't much fun. at the top, i said screw it, no MW. down i went. because i wanted to get in some more miles, i decided to ride back up a few times just for fun, with no thought of doing MW. on subsequent ascents, i never went above 166 bpm, and averaged about 150-152. each climb was faster and easier.

so i have empirical "evidence" of how much nerves can "cost" you on a climb. somewhere between 15-20 bpm. carrying expectations up that first ascent, it sucked. free of them on following climbs, it was strikingly different.

when we got home, i went out for another 90 minutes of hard riding. i think MW is in "my tank". i just gotta get my mind out of my body's way. it was fascinating to see how much nerves can cost you.

92degrees
08-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Hey, you were minutes from my house. Wish I knew. I plan my rides around Mt Holyoke. You should try that some time :D . Impressive ride.

Climb01742
08-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Hey, you were minutes from my house. Wish I knew. I plan my rides around Mt Holyoke. You should try that some time :D . Impressive ride.

i spent freshman year at college at hampshire. amherst is just as pretty as i remember it, but northhampton was surprisingly less nice than i remember it; it feels somehow shabbier. but damn, the view from at top my holyoke is wonderful. i only saw one other cyclist on the climb. a lot of cars. a popular place, at least on a sunday. the park ranger at the bottom of the road didn't quite know what to make of this crazy guy who kept going up, coming down, going up. he almost refunded our $2 parking fee. :D

Too Tall
08-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Climbboyeeee, my shrink has free couch time and I'm buying ;)
Seriously, just go for a bike ride and enjoy it. Maybe the stars will shine and you'll meet a pretty woman at the end....no that's a sure thing :)

92degrees
08-07-2006, 01:42 PM
i spent freshman year at college at hampshire. amherst is just as pretty as i remember it, but northhampton was surprisingly less nice than i remember it; it feels somehow shabbier. but damn, the view from at top my holyoke is wonderful. i only saw one other cyclist on the climb. a lot of cars. a popular place, at least on a sunday. the park ranger at the bottom of the road didn't quite know what to make of this crazy guy who kept going up, coming down, going up. he almost refunded our $2 parking fee. :D

Amherst is especially nice in the summer without the students. I avoid NoHo unless it's to run in for sushi or ribs. I stay on my side of the bridge. I've never thought to ride up Holyoke. Maybe someday :beer:

davids
08-07-2006, 02:39 PM
climb,

Interesting! And it sounds like that was all the psychiatrist you needed.

Here's my take-away: Go climb MW, and have fun.

And thanks for that link - We were just discussing the Blue Hills climb this morning on our group ride, and it's interesting to see how it compares to some other tough climbs in the neighborhood. That lime green line is plenty tough for me!

znfdl
08-07-2006, 02:39 PM
Climb:

Mt Holyoke is a great climb and so is Mt. Greylock. The Amherst area has some great climbing. I have 3 brothers that live in the area and 2 of them cycle, so Isually have some fun when visting them.

whammo45
08-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Yeah, Mt. Holyoke is a fun little climb, I try to do it at least once a month and it's been a killer for me this year (training way down;weight way up :p ).
Another favorite of mine is Sugarloaf in Deerfield about 20 miles away or so from Mt. Holyoke, and I like to combine them in a 60+ mi. route I like to do, up one side of the Ct. river and down the other, it's mostly a flat ride but those two little bumps in the road will surely make you sweat a bit, always a fun day.

Good work and good luck on MW :beer:

Ron C

(p.s. if you can get up Sugarloaf 's top exit which is a one way, You'da man, it'got to be way over 20% shudder)

jeffg
08-07-2006, 03:48 PM
when I went to Amherst but I have great memories of the area.

9.2% is tough.

You will rock Mt. Washington.

Have you considered that you have not hit climbs like that recently? I hit 10-15 bpm higher on the first climb no matter if I hit 201 on the trainer and every climb after that is easier. This is also true if it is my first climb at altitude. That is why I told you to do 2-3km on a climb 3-4 days before Mt. Washington. Think of it as opening up your engine. It ain't mental. Just get ready to fly!

Climb01742
08-07-2006, 03:55 PM
That is why I told you to do 2-3km on a climb 3-4 days before Mt. Washington. Think of it as opening up your engine. It ain't mental.

i have one in jackson, NH all scoped out for early next week. it was very good advice and much appreciated. :beer:

it is hard to replicate the body stresses of climbing steep stuff when you ain't on steep stuff.

tch
08-07-2006, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=Climb01742]i spent freshman year at college at hampshire.... D/QUOTE]

Yo, bro! I spent MY freshman year at Hampshire...and then several more years over the space of several more years....
I suspect I was there ahead of you, however; I arrived two years after they graduated the first class. Old is old.

Climb01742
08-07-2006, 05:33 PM
[QUOTE=Climb01742]i spent freshman year at college at hampshire.... D/QUOTE]

Yo, bro! I spent MY freshman year at Hampshire...and then several more years over the space of several more years....
I suspect I was there ahead of you, however; I arrived two years after they graduated the first class. Old is old.

odds are, i was there before you. i was there '72-'73. most of the campus wasn't even built then. and the library owned more albums than books. it was a strange wonderful year...what i remember of it. :rolleyes:

Lincoln
08-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Climb:

Mt Holyoke is a great climb and so is Mt. Greylock. The Amherst area has some great climbing. I have 3 brothers that live in the area and 2 of them cycle, so Isually have some fun when visting them.

I'll 2nd the thumbs up for Greylock. Not steep, but a nice long rhythm climb. And a fun switchback-filled descent.

tch
08-07-2006, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=tch]
odds are, i was there before you. i was there '72-'73. most of the campus wasn't even built then. and the library owned more albums than books. it was a strange wonderful year...what i remember of it. :rolleyes:

73-79 off and on.... Yow! You are not only as old as me but obviously in far better shape. I admire you and am jealous all at the same time.
...Does this mean I can't play the age card as much as I keep trying?

zank
08-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Just got a huge shot of nostalgia. Skinner was a regular training ride for us when I was at UMass. We would first go to Skinner for a couple of repeats. Then ride over to Mt. Sugarloaf in Sunderland for another couple of repeats. Then limp home completely shattered. A Bueno y Sano burrito afterward never tasted so good.

Glad you could go out there, Climb-o! If you are ever headed out to Mt. Greylock, let me know. I would love to join you.

oracle
08-07-2006, 07:48 PM
yo climb!

were you adequately warmed up prior to your first ascent? good luck at the big dubya.

1centaur
08-07-2006, 07:54 PM
I went to UMass Amherst and Amherst high school but was not then a serious cyclist - too bad for me.

I really wonder if that first climb's heart rate reflected nerves. I have recently discovered (late I know) how the first tough climb of the day can "unblock" my legs, as the cliche goes. I don't know what "unblock" means physiologically, but I know it works like magic to make the rest of the ride easier. As unusual as it sounds, I wonder if a pre-MW climb on the day itself would actually help.

stevep
08-07-2006, 08:00 PM
dead serious. empty your mind. thinking only hurts performance.
totally true. when you did not care you performed much better.
empty your mind...
this is easy to do for norton or obtuce. with them there is not much in there, its easy to empty. someone like me w/ a brain has to really concentrate on it.
works, though.
blank, blank.

Bittersweet
08-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Mt. Holyoke is my frequent lunch ride. 14 miles RT from my front door. The first pitch is a nice little test. If it is going well I record the elapsed time from my computer on the wall in the garage to gauge progress over the season and through the years. I presume you didn't get to use much of your gearing on the climb though as it levels off pretty quick at the halfway house.

You should really consider going out to the Woodstock, NY area and climbing Devil's Kitchen. I frequently tack back and forth with a 39x27 if my fitness is not up to snuff and never even consider the 27, no matter how early in the season on Mt. Holyoke. Devil's Kitchen is way longer and way steeper. You can ride it anytime and repeatedly if needed. It is frequently remembered as the spot where the pros pushed in the Tour DuPont. I ride a loop from my in-laws in Phoenicia to Woodstock and up Devil's Kitchen over to Hunter and then back over Devil's Tombstone. A great climbing route at about 45 miles. It can be extended to over 60 miles if you go past Hunter and over to rt28 via the next pass. A good spot to bring the S.O. for a weekend and crack out a test for the Rock Pile.

Climb01742
08-07-2006, 08:20 PM
this is easy to do for norton or obtuce.

hey, what's thom up to? we were gonna ride awhile back then he kinda dropped off the radar.

stevep
08-08-2006, 05:18 AM
hes been working..the lot of a man who has not won the lottery.
soon enough the season will be tailing off and you can hustle him for rides.

whammo45
08-08-2006, 05:34 AM
I'll 2nd the thumbs up for Greylock. Not steep, but a nice long rhythm climb. And a fun switchback-filled descent.

Hmmm, I think that depends which way you go up (one side is definitely steeper) and it is a good climb from either side but coming down can get very scary with the moss covered/potholed/cracked pavement all the way down, usually my arms and legs get a beating because my a$$ doesn't hit the seat very much :rolleyes:

Ron C

Climb01742
08-08-2006, 05:49 AM
that's what i've heard, that the descent of greylock is really sketchy.

znfdl
08-08-2006, 06:39 AM
I am also a UMASS alum, graduated in '82 spent a year in grad scholl in '83 before I went south to finish grad school. Very fond memories of the area.

dauwhe
08-08-2006, 07:11 AM
Hmmm, I think that depends which way you go up (one side is definitely steeper) and it is a good climb from either side but coming down can get very scary with the moss covered/potholed/cracked pavement all the way down, usually my arms and legs get a beating because my a$$ doesn't hit the seat very much :rolleyes:

Ron C

It's a much steeper, more sustained climb from the north (North Adams). And descending the north side is epic. I don't think I've ever gone down the south side.

Mt. Greylock century is next week; I'll see if I can sneak out there. And note that Mt. Greylock is by no means the hardest climb on that ride. Those of you who've ridden East Hawley Road will understand...

Dave

davids
08-08-2006, 09:36 AM
This song starts running through my head whenever I get to the Pioneer Valley. It's great for hillclimbing, and beats "Hail to the Victors", atmo:
In the sleepy west of the woody east
is a valley full, full o' pioneers
we're not just kids, to say the least
we got ideas to us that's dear

like capitalist, like communist
like lots of things you've heard about
and redneckers they get us pissed
and stupid stuff it makes us shout

oh dance with me oh don't be shy
oh kiss me c*nt, and kiss me c*ck
oh kiss the world, oh kiss the sky
oh kiss my *ss, oh let it rock

of the april birds and the may bee
oh bay bee
university of massachusetts, please

and here's the last five
it's educational
it's educational
it's educational
it's educational
it's educational

http://www.pixelsurgeon.com/admin/shared/images/pixies_l.jpg1086521742

skicoach
08-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Hi Climbo, I'm the guy who offered a thought following last years MW ride. I think I'm in better shape this year than last and am hoping that this year will bring weather conditions that allow an epoc ride that I could never hope to beat, thus perhaps letting me off the hook.
At any rate, I took. my worst crash ever decending Mt. Holyoke as a teenager breaking several bones and scraping the entire front surface of my body (pothole/over the top). It's a fabulous climb and the views are super. I wish it were still easily accessable for me to train. We have a ski house at Sunday River and I like to train on the access rode to the base of the Jordan Bowl. Your comment last year that we have so much in comon prompted my reply. Get in touch with me before the ride so we could hook up. Chris

Lincoln
08-08-2006, 11:30 AM

Ron C

I grew up in that neck of the woods, but haven't ridden Greylock in 9 or 10 years. Unfortunately it sounds like they have let the road continue to deteriorate. I prefer to go up the SE side, so that I can make a loop of it, and I like the turns on the N side better for the descent.

True it's not the hardest climb around, just a nice long steady tempo climb with a good view at the top and what used to be (apparently not so much anymore) a fun descent.

BHL
08-08-2006, 09:30 PM
Another steep, but short hill climb in the area is going west from rt. 202 up to Shutesbury. I ran into some local racers doing repeats up this hill for training. The east side of the Shutesbury hill is also a fun climb (less steep but longer) and a really fun descent (did it today-new pavement, very fast).

If you want to link a bunch of hills together, my favorite ride now is to start in Amherst, go through Pelham, up to Shutesbury, up the hill to Wendell and then finally up the hill to Warwick, and then back down the Conn River valley. Hardly any cars for most of the ride, good roads, great hills, fun descents.

beungood
08-08-2006, 10:17 PM
what type of gearing /cassettes are you guys using for these areas?

whammo45
08-09-2006, 06:03 AM
what type of gearing /cassettes are you guys using for these areas?

Personally I use a 53/39-13/29 and it is plenty for me, I still struggle on the extra steep stuff (just too heavy right now) but stronger riders can get away with different gearing, I used to go up Mt. Holyoke with a 26 and even did it once in a 23 but but I don't like that kind of pain anymore.
All this talk about Mt. Holyoke made go ride it last night, beautiful eve. up there and hit a new all time top speed coming down, 48mph :beer: , had a hard time stopping before the dirt road at the bottom, funny though, I feel safer on that dirt than I ever did at Greylock.

RC