PDA

View Full Version : Campy Pre 2015 Shifters to ? Derailleur Compatiblity

GScot
02-20-2017, 05:18 PM
I started looking at google and immediately found conflicting opinions. So I'm here to ask the experts. I have Record 11 Shifters that I ended up with from a bike and parts buy a couple years ago. I think they are 2014 or older and will attach a picture for reference. I only have Campy on my old Panasonic and know Shimano much better.

Questions for front and rear. For the front I have a matching Record 11 derailleur but I would like to use these on a BMC cross frame. Black Mountain that is not the Swiss BMC. I have a CX-70 top pull on hand and would prefer to use it with a 32/48 crankset. A pulley is available so I can use the Record front derailleur. What does experience say is the best approach? Record with a small chain ring or CX-70 with Campy shifter? Crankset is a Praxis.

A rear derailleur did not come with the parts but I have a short cage Athena available. I'd rather go big on the rear cassette anyway with a 28 or 32 large cog. I know everything isn't automatically compatible across Campy so would either an Athena triple or a new Potenza long cage be compatible with my Record 11 shifters?

I can always buy another group but wanted opinions on whether my Frankenparts can add up to a well-tuned ride or just be a pain in the butt. Thanks.

ERK55
02-20-2017, 08:47 PM
Athena 11 long cage yes.
Potenza no.

R3awak3n
02-20-2017, 10:26 PM
You can use your short cage athena with 32t but you would be better off getting an athena long cage derailleur. Potenza won't work as said above.

As far as the FD, I would would the CX70. I don't like pulleys personally. You can also use something like this - http://speen.de/speen____SportsEquipmentEngineering/speen__store.html

a umlenker. This will let you use your campy FD like a top pull derailleur. I have one somewhere that I never got to use and can sell it to you for cheap.

oldpotatoe
02-21-2017, 05:10 AM
I started looking at google and immediately found conflicting opinions. So I'm here to ask the experts. I have Record 11 Shifters that I ended up with from a bike and parts buy a couple years ago. I think they are 2014 or older and will attach a picture for reference. I only have Campy on my old Panasonic and know Shimano much better.

Questions for front and rear. For the front I have a matching Record 11 derailleur but I would like to use these on a BMC cross frame. Black Mountain that is not the Swiss BMC. I have a CX-70 top pull on hand and would prefer to use it with a 32/48 crankset. A pulley is available so I can use the Record front derailleur. What does experience say is the best approach? Record with a small chain ring or CX-70 with Campy shifter? Crankset is a Praxis.

A rear derailleur did not come with the parts but I have a short cage Athena available. I'd rather go big on the rear cassette anyway with a 28 or 32 large cog. I know everything isn't automatically compatible across Campy so would either an Athena triple or a new Potenza long cage be compatible with my Record 11 shifters?

I can always buy another group but wanted opinions on whether my Frankenparts can add up to a well-tuned ride or just be a pain in the butt. Thanks.

Either-the LH shifter will shift any front der, even the CX-70. Probably less effort that using a pulley.

Either Athena or Potenza will work fine with those shifters. Campag and others say 2015+ders won't work with previous ERGO but not true.

GScot
02-21-2017, 06:48 AM
Thank you Paceline. I will go with the CX-70 front and an Athena rear.