PDA

View Full Version : Spinergy Rev-X - are they actually that bad?

ceolwulf
02-20-2017, 04:22 PM
Will I die immediately? Or after a few hundred km? Or potentially, just possibly, will they give me a pass and let me die of natural causes?

I'm thinking of building a Kestrel 500EMS at some point soon and I can't think of a more of-the-time wheelset for a period build.

I also weigh, um, more than Quintana, so. :help:

Bentley
02-20-2017, 04:35 PM
I can't speak to the Rev-X but I road Spinergy Spox for years. In fact my bother still rides a bike with those wheels. Always rode great, no real life ssues other than spoke tool.

Ray

sales guy
02-20-2017, 04:38 PM
It depends on the generation you get. And you can't tell unless you look at them closely.

I have a friend I built up a new TT/Tri bike and used these. They aren't stupidly light but still incredibly fast. For the first part of his Tri Season he used both on front and back. And then he decided to switch to a disc on the rear. Granted, as the season goes on you can get slower as fatigue sets in and the courses are different. But he loved having both on and his times were many minutes faster than previous years. Many minutes as in 5+ minutes faster. So not a small margin that could be accounted for in just a bit of a tailwind.

When I built up the bike I check them over carefully. I cleaned them and made sure there were no cracks or damage to the blades. He had/has a couple rivet issues which I fixed with epoxy inside the blade gap and on the outside over the rivet.

These wheels, he's had them since 1997/98 and used them all the time. He weighs about 145/150 and is a multi-time state and national champion in his age as well as on the US National Team. So he's no slouch. I would've bet if he was going to kill them, or for them to explode, they'd have done it already.

The last generation had more issues. Not 100% sure why other than they did make them lighter and they also started to remove the inner support on the blades. I think that had a bit to do with them. They also changed the way they riveted the blades and changed the hubs/hub mounting method.

His are generation 2 out of 4. The last had the yellow, red and blue decals as offers and were offered in Super Stiff, Regular and Lightweight version. They also offered them with the X-Braces.

djg21
02-20-2017, 04:47 PM
I can't speak to the Rev-X but I road Spinergy Spox for years. In fact my bother still rides a bike with those wheels. Always rode great, no real life ssues other than spoke tool.

Ray

I rode multiple sets on road, cx and MTB bikes. At the time they were great, but I wouldn't think if riding them now given their age and the problems with the blades cracking and delaminating.

Bentley
02-20-2017, 05:00 PM
I rode multiple sets on road, cx and MTB bikes. At the time they were great, but I wouldn't think if riding them now given their age and the problems with the blades cracking and delaminating.

The Spox wheels are spoke wheel, PBO plastic if I recall. The Rev-X are bladed. I'm pretty sure that its difficult to get a replacement freehub for the Rev-X

Ray

djg21
02-20-2017, 05:03 PM
The Spox wheels are spoke wheel, PBO plastic if I recall. The Rev-X are bladed. I'm pretty sure that its difficult to get a replacement freehub for the Rev-X

Ray

I used the Rev-X models. I thought the OP was asking about those.

Dead Man
02-20-2017, 05:07 PM
I see dudes out there sporting these on fixies all the time.

I also occasionally see pictures of them all blown to pieces, on fixies

Just make sure you brace when you hop curbs n stuff

ceolwulf
02-20-2017, 05:07 PM
It depends on the generation you get. And you can't tell unless you look at them closely.

I have a friend I built up a new TT/Tri bike and used these. They aren't stupidly light but still incredibly fast. For the first part of his Tri Season he used both on front and back. And then he decided to switch to a disc on the rear. Granted, as the season goes on you can get slower as fatigue sets in and the courses are different. But he loved having both on and his times were many minutes faster than previous years. Many minutes as in 5+ minutes faster. So not a small margin that could be accounted for in just a bit of a tailwind.

When I built up the bike I check them over carefully. I cleaned them and made sure there were no cracks or damage to the blades. He had/has a couple rivet issues which I fixed with epoxy inside the blade gap and on the outside over the rivet.

These wheels, he's had them since 1997/98 and used them all the time. He weighs about 145/150 and is a multi-time state and national champion in his age as well as on the US National Team. So he's no slouch. I would've bet if he was going to kill them, or for them to explode, they'd have done it already.

The last generation had more issues. Not 100% sure why other than they did make them lighter and they also started to remove the inner support on the blades. I think that had a bit to do with them. They also changed the way they riveted the blades and changed the hubs/hub mounting method.

His are generation 2 out of 4. The last had the yellow, red and blue decals as offers and were offered in Super Stiff, Regular and Lightweight version. They also offered them with the X-Braces.

Very helpful, thank you. I'll have to learn more about the different variants it seems.

Bentley
02-20-2017, 05:13 PM
I used the Rev-X models. I thought the OP was asking about those.

Right. You quoted my thread so I was (typically) confused

Ray

sandyrs
02-20-2017, 05:51 PM
I see dudes out there sporting these on fixies all the time.

I also occasionally see pictures of them all blown to pieces, on fixies

Just make sure you brace when you hop curbs n stuff

Sure you're not thinking of aerospokes? There just can't be that many Rev-X sets left in the wild I'd think. Or they've all migrated to Oregon!

beeatnik
02-20-2017, 05:56 PM
Or they've all migrated to Oregon!

And the Mean Streets of LA.

First time I head the phrase catastrophic failure referring to bike parts a fixie bro had just shown me a taco'ed Rev-X. Or was it spokeless?

Dead Man
02-20-2017, 06:04 PM
Sure you're not thinking of aerospokes? There just can't be that many Rev-X sets left in the wild I'd think. Or they've all migrated to Oregon!

Negative - I mean the real deal. Not hard to find.

https://images.craigslist.org/00707_4jEkvrlt1rT_600x450.jpg

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bop/5989484035.html

regularguy412
02-20-2017, 06:19 PM
One completely anecdotal data point here.

Many years ago,, back when the Rev-X's were popular, was in a race with a guy with a pair on his Vitus (yeah, one of those). So I'm not sure which one of those two components were to blame for the issue, but we were racing down a very twisty and steep hill. This was right after the start and was 'supposed' to be neutral to the bottom. You still kinda wanted to go a bit fast as you didn't want to be at the back of the group when the real racing started. We were all strung out and I was coming up on him pretty quickly. You could easily hit over 50 mph if you could just let the bike run, but you HAD to brake almost continuously to keep from over-shooting the turns. (and you didn't wanna do that as the outside of the road away from the hillside was a sheer 100 ft drop)

As I came up on him, the bike was oscillating wildly and increased in its oscillations as he would put the brakes on. The braking would cause a hideous noise. I was actually a bit afraid to try to pass as I was sure he would completely lose it and take me out with him. He's going about 20-25 mph and I'm about 10 mph faster. Additionally, there's a hairpin turn at the bottom and you have to haul it down to about 10 mph to make it around. I was on 32 hole, Campy Victory Crono's with Conti Competition tires.

The road did straighten for about 100 yards and I let it run enough to get around. As I passed him I yelled, "clamp the top tube with your knees". 'Bout all I could do to help him.

That experience, alone, was enough for me to swear off ever using Rev-X's, regardless whether the Vitus noodle was also a contributing factor.

MIke in AR:beer:

sandyrs
02-20-2017, 06:22 PM
Negative - I mean the real deal. Not hard to find.

https://images.craigslist.org/00707_4jEkvrlt1rT_600x450.jpg

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bop/5989484035.html

Oh cool. I've honestly seen maybe three sets in my whole life. Guess the Boston potholes probably ate up our whole stock years ago ha

Dead Man
02-20-2017, 06:25 PM
Oh cool. I've honestly seen maybe three sets in my whole life. Guess the Boston potholes probably ate up our whole stock years ago ha

Want me to facilitate??

bikinchris
02-20-2017, 06:28 PM
To the OP: you might also think of Tri Spoke wheels.

weisan
02-20-2017, 06:36 PM
Since the day I saw a Spinergy, I can't get rid of the horrible imagery of someone having their hands or some limbs lopped off while it's er....ahem...spinnin' ? :o :D

Honest to God, I didn't make this up.

bigbill
02-20-2017, 06:37 PM
I got a set in 94 as part of sponsorship deal. Mine were tubular and at the time were the lightest wheels I owned. I used them for road racing, time trials, and Mt Mitchell. I raced criteriums on GEL 330's. I used them off and on until 2006 when I found cracks at the base of the blades near the rim. I sledgehammered them into pieces and threw them away. I saved the hub parts and gave them to a local Tri shop.

gemship
02-20-2017, 06:40 PM
One completely anecdotal data point here.

Many years ago,, back when the Rev-X's were popular, was in a race with a guy with a pair on his Vitus (yeah, one of those). So I'm not sure which one of those two components were to blame for the issue, but we were racing down a very twisty and steep hill. This was right after the start and was 'supposed' to be neutral to the bottom. You still kinda wanted to go a bit fast as you didn't want to be at the back of the group when the real racing started. We were all strung out and I was coming up on him pretty quickly. You could easily hit over 50 mph if you could just let the bike run, but you HAD to brake almost continuously to keep from over-shooting the turns. (and you didn't wanna do that as the outside of the road away from the hillside was a sheer 100 ft drop)

As I came up on him, the bike was oscillating wildly and increased in its oscillations as he would put the brakes on. The braking would cause a hideous noise. I was actually a bit afraid to try to pass as I was sure he would completely lose it and take me out with him. He's going about 20-25 mph and I'm about 10 mph faster. Additionally, there's a hairpin turn at the bottom and you have to haul it down to about 10 mph to make it around. I was on 32 hole, Campy Victory Crono's with Conti Competition tires.

The road did straighten for about 100 yards and I let it run enough to get around. As I passed him I yelled, "clamp the top tube with your knees". 'Bout all I could do to help him.

That experience, alone, was enough for me to swear off ever using Rev-X's, regardless whether the Vitus noodle was also a contributing factor.

MIke in AR:beer:

Ha,ha. Funny story, well worth reading for the chuckles, cheers!

thirdgenbird
02-20-2017, 06:45 PM
I thought they rode fine, but I was quite young. Having said that, I could proabably hook you up with a set for a reasonable amount. I am nearly sure they have a Campagnolo 8spd freehub. I do k one they are a later version. I think they are actually the latest version with the wider/larger hubs.

choke
02-20-2017, 06:53 PM
Back when these were popular a friend who worked in a bike shop had this to say about them: "Never buy a wheel you can't true."

Cicli
02-20-2017, 07:01 PM
Back when these were popular a friend who worked in a bike shop had this to say about them: "Never buy a wheel you can't true."

No kidding. The yahoo bike shop just north of me has a shedload of Madfiber wheels he cant sell at MSRP. Wonder why?

berserk87
02-20-2017, 07:08 PM
I got rid of mine before all of the stories started coming out of explosions, because I didn't like the way they rode. I was riding a fast downhill, with a curve, and a hard side wind. The wind tried to "helicopter" the wheels, and I had a hard time controlling the bike while I was leaning into the curve doing 40+ mph. I almost pooped myself. Never felt that sensation before, or since. I never rode them again and sold them within a week or so.

bpiecuch
02-20-2017, 07:42 PM
I see plenty of people selling Spinergy Rev-X's on Craigslist. Usually listed in the $200-400 range.

The 500EMS is a 650c wheel size, right? I rode a Kestrel KM40 for years, also 650c wheels. But, my wheel of choice was a set of Zipp 500's. (The 650c version of the 400's) I think you would find a set of Zipp's much more reliable, and a better wheelset overall. You can true them, rebuild them, and ride them forever. I think they look better, too.

dave thompson
02-20-2017, 08:07 PM
I used the Rev-X wheels years ago. One of the problems with them is their propensity to get nicks of the edges of the carbon blades. Usually not too much of a problem if wheels are checked regularly but contemporary stories of those nicks leading to cracks and and/or delamination caused me to abandon them. Big pucker factor.

Mike V
02-20-2017, 08:35 PM
Michele Bartoli had his leg (just below his) severely cut during Tour of Germany by those wheels. It took him out for most of the season.

He went down in a crash. When he came up and put weight on it bones came out and he collapsed.

ceolwulf
02-20-2017, 08:35 PM
I see plenty of people selling Spinergy Rev-X's on Craigslist. Usually listed in the $200-400 range.

The 500EMS is a 650c wheel size, right? I rode a Kestrel KM40 for years, also 650c wheels. But, my wheel of choice was a set of Zipp 500's. (The 650c version of the 400's) I think you would find a set of Zipp's much more reliable, and a better wheelset overall. You can true them, rebuild them, and ride them forever. I think they look better, too.

650c yes. Good call on the Zipps. Trispokes as mentioned above would be a good option too.

jumphigher
02-20-2017, 08:57 PM
I live in the Portland (Or) area and often see those Rev Xs on CL, so there must still be a few out there. I've never ridden them myself but am not a fan of wheels you cant true, as another poster wrote.

Gummee
02-20-2017, 08:58 PM
Here's a question: do you really want to risk it?

M

carpediemracing
02-21-2017, 06:30 AM
I'd ride the last gen wheels, no problem. I did, too, until they got obsoleted out of my wheel quiver.

Gen 1 - carbon fiber lip visible on inside of hub, epoxied into place. If any are still around the carbon fiber will slip to the center of the wheel and the wheel will collapse.

Gen 2 - circlip holding carbon fiber lip to hub. Clip fails eventually, spokes move inward, collapsing wheel.

Gen 3 - I think they ddi the alum ring around the carbon on the hub so you couldn't see it. I think still circlip, which still failed. I'm pretty sure this existed in very limited quantities.

Gen 3a - if I'm wrong about the alum ring + circlip then it's alum rings on the carbon with an alum ring between them, so it's a solid band of aluminum. First wheelset where the spoke bases didn't move inward unexpectedly, first set that were good.

(Note: the spokes were pretty strong, but if the base got loose then the spoke would bend/break and the wheel would collapse. I've had a pedal go into a Gen 4 front wheel, I didn't think much of it, it took about a 5mm x 5mm chunk of carbon out of the spoke, I raced that wheel for years, then used it in training, and finally my future wife rode it for a while. The damaged carbon area never changed. I maxed out at 215 lbs during that time.

Gen 4 - the front bearings weren't flush with the spoke sides, they moved the bearings outward to stiffen the hub. Huge improvement. Full aluminum inside the hub, no circlip, no carbon visible. This is the wheel to get. I would skip every previous version.

Gen 4a - Two "deluxe" models. "Lightweight" - holes drilled into the hidden rim wall, what would be the "outside" of the rim if the rim was spoked, like today's fat bike rims and BMX rims. Titanium axles. I think the net result was 100-150g, the majority of it at the rim. Axle was... 40g lighter? I don't remember. Axle was meh, the drilled rim was nice for spin up.

Gen 4b - The other deluxe model, "Super Stiff" - double layer carbon on the stiffening area in the spokes (where it's double layer anyway) and X-beams.

Note on Gen 4a-b - The employees that raced, and some pros, got both treatments, so drilled rim, Ti axle, double layer carbon in spoke stiffener, and x-beams. I had one wheel like that. Great wheel.

X-Beams - H-shaped plastic inserts that go about 5-6" from the rim, between a pair of spokes. Excellent, huge difference in wheel stiffness.

There wer some later wheels (Gen 4, 5) that were made with insufficient epoxy between the two carbon halves. Re-epoxy them and you're good. You can tell you have one (they bled into the public through employees giving them to people that would re-epoxy them, although some were not re-epoxied) if you squeeze the carbon "rim" sides and the seam opens up a touch.

Aerodynamically they're no longer pertinent. In 1996 or so their top engineer argued that a U shaped rim would be much more aerodynamic but marketing nixed it. When I heard of it, in 1996-1997, I thought the engineer was smoking crack. Of course he was right.

The blue spoked wheel has obvious outboard bearings:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TbmplkIYLx8/RZg3qo5Ol7I/AAAAAAAAACM/U2Su5fapWFA/s800/100_0815.JPG

weisan
02-21-2017, 07:06 AM
Michele Bartoli had his leg (just below his) severely cut during Tour of Germany by those wheels. It took him out for most of the season.

He went down in a crash. When he came up and put weight on it bones came out and he collapsed.

Awweeee....yyyyylllll..... Mike pal, do you really have to do that???!!! My worst nightmare just came true!
:D

Mark McM
02-21-2017, 09:09 AM

Imagine if they made a disc brake version!

sales guy
02-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Imagine if they made a disc brake version!

they did.
they made 4 prototype mountain wheels in disc. there was a set for sale on ebay a couple months ago for like $800.

mg2ride
02-21-2017, 01:32 PM
I think they are super cool and have always wanted to get some. If I was a detail oriented person that would regularly inspect them I would give them serious consideration.

However, since I tend to ride **** tell it breaks (and I'm 270lbs) I will pass.

FlashUNC
02-21-2017, 01:34 PM
Saw a couple pairs that started to crack through the middle of the rim bed.

Not for me.

brockd15
02-21-2017, 02:19 PM
I had some a while back. I've never ridden any other aero wheels so don't have anything to compare against, but they felt much faster, noticeably faster, than my "regular" wheels. Mine had the stiffeners, if that makes a difference. I never had any problems with them, unless you count a pucker moment on a steep downhill with a sudden, strong gust of sidewind.

Dead Man
02-21-2017, 02:21 PM
Saw a couple pairs that started to crack through the middle of the rim bed.

Not for me.

jus use a little extra mastik