PDA

View Full Version : Shimano 6700 FD work with triple?

merckx
02-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Does anyone know if a Shimano 6700 10 speed double front derailleur has the capacity to move across a triple crankset? Just wondering if the cage will move the chain to the large ring, and also have the range to reach the small ring. I know that there is a specific Shimano triple front derailleur (6703) available, but I currently have a regular 6700 in hand, but don't have the crankset available yet to test. Any insight would be appreciated.

Ken Robb
02-20-2017, 03:52 PM
I think the triple has "humps" to help raise the chain that the double lacks.

merckx
02-20-2017, 04:32 PM
I think the triple has "humps" to help raise the chain that the double lacks.

You are correct. The triple FD inner cage contains a lot of salad to help with chain movement. A double FD also works without the extra salad from my previous experience. I just don't have any experience with the 6700 double FD, and its capacity to move across three rings.

rando
02-20-2017, 05:27 PM
I had a fit of nostalgia and ended up with a full 6703 group when they were first released. Ended up buying a 6750 crank when someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse for it minus the FD-6703. Should your bike accept a 34.9 clamp I'm sure we could find a way to get it to you.

Now I can tell you for sure the front derailleur for a triple works just fine on a double crank. I can still mentally picture a scenario where the baggage handler is telling his buddies "The skill wasn't in hitting the FD. It was in missing the rest of the bike." Never been so happy to have a workable spare in the parts bin.

oldpotatoe
02-21-2017, 05:30 AM
Does anyone know if a Shimano 6700 10 speed double front derailleur has the capacity to move across a triple crankset? Just wondering if the cage will move the chain to the large ring, and also have the range to reach the small ring. I know that there is a specific Shimano triple front derailleur (6703) available, but I currently have a regular 6700 in hand, but don't have the crankset available yet to test. Any insight would be appreciated.

No, not enough arm length and travel and cage bumps and ramps and such wont get the chain to the middle from the small.