PDA

View Full Version : Proof that we're getting too much water here in California

EPOJoe
02-19-2017, 09:32 PM
In a rare moment in which the rain here remarkably paused for almost a whole day, I was able to get out for a short ride along the American River trail. That is, until I was stopped due to an avalanche that completely covered a large section of the trail. First photo shows the first avalanche section when approaching from the north, and the second photo shows the entire segment of trail which ran along the river, now completely blocked. That large boulder behind me in the first photo would've squashed a cyclist (me) like a bug if they would've been unlucky enough to have been riding along when this happened. Thankfully, no one was hurt. When will this freaking rain end?!

Steve in SLO
02-19-2017, 11:03 PM
We are getting nailed pretty hard here in San Luis Obispo and Southern California as well.
I have had the last several days off and have been unable to ride because the roads are too nasty, the trails are all closed and fire roads are too goopy to ride on. Yesterday, my family was headed from here down to San Diego on Amtrak, but the train was turned back north of Santa Barbara due to debris ( mud and rocks) on the track. Seems like it's either feast and famine here in the Golden State. On the bright side, our reservoirs are full, our aquifers are being recharged, and the snowpack is the highest it has been in years. Here's hoping we don't have too much flooding come spring.

roguedog
02-20-2017, 10:08 AM
Yep. There is a big old "pot hole" (200 ft gap) on hwy 35. Trail that I commute on into work has been closed more this year than any year.

Road closure list (http://www.cyclelicio.us/2017/road-closures-this-weekend-santa-cruz-santa-clara-monterey-counties/) from cyclelicious gives you a pretty good view.

Here's a list (https://www.facebook.com/nick.moless/media_set?set=a.10154626617431284.1073741833.61577 6283&type=3&pnref=story) of pictures of popular cycling roads in the Santa Cruz area..

Woo wee. and we're getting another atmospheric river storm this week.

I think I need to get me one of these (http://forum.xcitefun.net/schiller-xi-the-floating-bike-t96581.html)

MattTuck
02-20-2017, 10:30 AM
Yeah, saw some videos of big sink holes and part of the interstate collapsing.

Ok, I can understand a municipal street (probably just pavement over dirt) succumbing to this type of rain event. But an interstate? Aren't they engineered much better? They certainly should be for the amount of money they cost to build...

Mark McM
02-20-2017, 10:35 AM
In a rare moment in which the rain here remarkably paused for almost a whole day, I was able to get out for a short ride along the American River trail. That is, until I was stopped due to an avalanche that completely covered a large section of the trail.

An avalanche is a rapid flow of snow down a sloping surface. What we have here is a landslide. In particular this type of landslide is called a rockfall.

8aaron8
02-20-2017, 10:55 AM
Funny I had been thinking about that very part of the American River trail and was wondering if it was submerged under water, but I see it has even bigger problems at the moment.

doomridesout
02-20-2017, 07:47 PM
I tried to ride 128 past Lake Berryessa on Friday but it was closed due to mudslides. I hope they get it cleared off soon, I want to ride Cardiac!

Louis
02-20-2017, 08:10 PM
I think I need to get me one of these

How ironic that they need to have water bottle cages on the saddle. (I assume that's what that is.)

"Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink.”