PDA

View Full Version : New bike with cheap tires? And the tires are great!

Cicli
02-18-2017, 06:28 PM
Are these smooth Gravelkings that good? I am a bit of a tire snob. I like Compass, high end Vittorias and Veloflex. Bought some Compass for the Stanyan and they didnt fit. Threw on a set of Gravelking smoothies from the basement stash. The ride is superb, silent and smooth. These ride as good as Paves and maybe better. These may be my new go to road tire. Cheap, smooth and durable.
Anyone else get something cheap that just hit you as a super value?

eddief
02-18-2017, 06:37 PM
when you consider that Compass and Gravels are made by the same company and then you compare the weight of the standard Compass with the smooth Gravels, the weights are within a few grams of each other. That might make one think that they'd perform nearly as well...at, as you say, a very decent price.

I am running smooth 32s on my travel bike pumped to 55 in front and 60 in the rear and they seem bouncy and good to me.

Mzilliox
02-18-2017, 09:11 PM
yup, you found some winners. i don;t find them more durable per say then Corsa gplus or compass, as i have flatted more often on GKs, but i do find them cheaper for nearly as nice a tire.
and the flats, who knows, i haven't flatted in ages, but my last 2 flats were when i was riding gravel kings, no flats since moving over to compass and corsas. not saying thats anything useful, just sharing one guys experience.

Hilltopperny
02-18-2017, 09:19 PM
Smooth gravel kings were my go to tires before I started running the corsa g+. I'd say they are one of the best bang for buck tires out there. Wish they made them in a wider size.

As far as cheaper and cycling goes I've finally found a non leather go to saddle that only cost me $25. The ergon sr3 pro saddle made in Italy by selle Italia in size medium is the first saddle I've found in forever that fits me and I can ride for 20+ miles without any issue. I've always found other non leather saddles unbearable at around 20 miles in. Very impressed!

Tony
02-18-2017, 09:50 PM
Smooth gravel kings were my go to tires before I started running the corsa g+. I'd say they are one of the best bang for buck tires out there. Wish they made them in wider size.

As far as cheaper and cycling goes I've finally found a non leather go to saddle that only cost me $25. The ergon sr3 pro saddle made in Italy by selle Italia in size medium is the first saddle I've found in forever that fits me and I can ride for 20+ miles without any issue. I've always found other non leather saddles unbearable at around 20 miles in. Very impressed!

Also like this sadddle, A LOT. Nasbar has the carbon rail version (under 200 grams) for $60.00 +25 percent off! $20.00 for the Ergon SR3, 230 grams.
https://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_10053_10052_584159_-1

Hilltopperny
02-18-2017, 10:03 PM
Also like this sadddle, A LOT. Nasbar has the carbon rail version (under 200 grams) for $60.00 +25 percent off! $20.00 for the Ergon SR3, 230 grams.
https://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_10053_10052_584159_-1
Yes, you really can't beat it. I haven't tried the carbon railed version, but you really can't beat the price if it's fits you. I'm probably going to buy a bunch to stockpile for future use.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

doomridesout
02-18-2017, 11:37 PM
The Gravel Kings punch WELL above their weight on dirt too-- I've done a fair amount of singletrack and really rough, loose gravel on the 28s and there's just some magic grip in the compound there. I love those tires.

acoffin
02-18-2017, 11:42 PM
It has always been true that you canot have a tire that is durable, performs really well, and is afordable. Gravel Kings are the first tires to prove that wrong in my experience. I have been a fan of the 28's for a long while, looking forward to trying some 32's. I have only had one flat in two pairs, the first pair wore out before ever flatting. The sidwall is more durable than your average high end gum wall tire, but they still give a very nice ride.

My only question is why would anyone ride lifeless Gatorskins when these are available?

Steve in SLO
02-18-2017, 11:57 PM
To the original OP's question, Two tires stand out for cheap/good:
Panaracer Pasela T-servs--tough and durable with a fairly good ride
Kenda Kaliente L3R Pros-- light and cheap. I had amazingly good luck with these tires, and although I don't ride them anymore they were an great bargain for the time.

brewsmith
02-19-2017, 06:19 AM

Thanks for the heads up, been looking for a weather proof saddle that won't the bank or sit bones, for this price I'll take a look at it

Hilltopperny
02-19-2017, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the heads up, been looking for a weather proof saddle that won't the bank or sit bones, for this price I'll take a look at it

I bought one for my winter bike and then bought another for my titanium bike and they have held up so far during the nasty northeast weather.

velofinds
02-20-2017, 07:26 AM
Good thread -- I'm a cheapskate at heart, so these things speak to me.

Re: the OP -- I might have nominated the Clement Strada, but at 60 TPI only in the tanwall version (the only version worth considering, ATMO), it looks like the GK has those tires beat by more than double the thread count. Will need to try them as my next "winter training" tire.

merckx
02-20-2017, 07:32 AM
The Gravel Kings are very, very good tires. I currently use 28's and 32's. I am trying to convince myself that they are not better than Compass.

AngryScientist
02-20-2017, 07:50 AM
laughing at the title.

"cheap tires" are OE spec wire bead hard rubber stuff that comes stock on entry level road bikes.

gravel kings are made by panaracer and are excellent tires.

merckx
02-20-2017, 08:05 AM
laughing at the title.

"cheap tires" are OE spec wire bead hard rubber stuff that comes stock on entry level road bikes.

gravel kings are made by panaracer and are excellent tires.

I agree. We will use the word, inexpensive, or the term, good value. Excel Sports sells the Gravel King at $29.00 each. This is a good value that is also inexpensive.

MattTuck
02-20-2017, 10:51 AM
When you guys are referring to the GravelKing smooth, are you referring to this model? or is there another with an even smoother tread?

Luwabra
02-20-2017, 11:05 AM
That's it^ I have the 32's on my mr pink. Very happy w them