PDA

View Full Version : Enve Rims, Internal Nipples and Rain Water

Splash
02-18-2017, 11:41 AM
Scroll down to the very first comment in this link below:

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/enve-ses-34-review-51025/

It refers to the likelihood of rain water entering the area of internal nipples on Enve rims (in this case 3.4 SES).

Is there any truth in this comment?

If so, is there any way of removing this water from the rims or even preventing the water from entering these areas?

Splash

sjees
02-18-2017, 01:26 PM
i had the Bontrager Aeolus 5 wheels,i don't know what year the came from.
But they have also the internal nipples,because of the water in the rim the nipples were damaged by corrosion after some time. The spokes breaked there at the nipple.So the wheels had to be respoked.
According to the mechanic there was no solution for it,thats why Bontrager changed it to nipples outside at the Aeolus models which were renewed.
So i guess it can happen with all carbon wheels with internal nipples....

bicycletricycle
02-18-2017, 04:32 PM
maybe melt a little wax and pour it in each hole a little and clean it up afterwards?

sounds fun?

kramnnim
02-18-2017, 04:50 PM
...I don't think this is an issue. And why would there be a difference between internal and external, they both have a hole in the rim, with a nipple filling up that hole.

weaponsgrade
02-18-2017, 05:53 PM
Damn, this post just reminded me that I rode through some big puddles and flooded areas last week and didn't pull the tires off afterwards to let any water drain.

objec123
07-01-2021, 09:59 PM
get some heavy grease, small brush. brush each nipple, working the grease into the rim. wipe down rim when done.