PDA

View Full Version : OT: prescription lenses online?

daker13
02-17-2017, 04:34 PM
Adding to the February OT threads here, and it's pretty trivial.

I wear progressives, but bought a non-progressive pair of glasses from Warby Parker a couple years ago. Now I realize I never wear them and actually find them disorienting (duh). WP says I can send them in and it'll cost $245 for new lenses. From past experience, I believe buying locally will also cost a fortune. I ran a search and found some places online that look like they'll put a pair of progressive lenses in my frames for around $70.

Has anyone done this before? Any recommendations? These are for regular, non-sport eyeglasses.

Thx.

ultraman6970
02-17-2017, 04:38 PM
If you want them for cycling the place to go is sport rx... u can send them the frame aswell. But if you want regular lenses you can go even to sears or costco, my wife got them at sears and she did not have any problems with her progressives. In my case nobody wanted to make progressives out of the frames I wanted because they said was impossible, sport rx did not even flinch to tell me that were not possible, so far the best lenses I ever had. Im really impressed with the progressives made by them.

tiretrax
02-17-2017, 04:38 PM
Check to see what the field of view is. I ended up with some fan$y lenses because the normal progressive lens only covered one third. Worth the price, however because it provided wider coverage.

Bentley
02-17-2017, 04:46 PM
Honestly if you are buying prescription lenses, especially progressives, there is a huge difference in the optical quality of cheap to more expensive lenses. I usually purchase Zeiss lenses and $245 is cheap.

Obviously insurance can reduce the cost but 245 does not sound bad.

Best

Ray

buddybikes
02-17-2017, 05:44 PM
replacealens.com no idea how good they are but they seem to have anything you want.

PS: I just bought 1 lens due to cataract and replacement digital lens was 195.

verbs4us
02-17-2017, 05:58 PM
Went down this road with progressives and, despite all instincts against it, went to the Oakley store. For about $300 got frames and lenses that are so spot on, it's amazing. I hate dealing with Oakley since they change products every 35 seconds in order to force you to buy new and not maintain old (I rode 1 bike for 35 years, so full disclosure here). It might have to do with the optometrist on duty more than the technology, but the result was stunningly perfect.

Peter P.
02-17-2017, 06:00 PM
I don't know if this counts, but I had a pair of progressives made by Sports Optical in Denver, via their web site and a phone call or two.

Sure; they were Oakley's meant for cycling, but the concept was the same. Sure; it was expensive but these were out of the ordinary.

I had zero problems with the prescription after I gave Sports Optical the numbers from my optometrist's exam.

So I see no reason why it can't be done. But I'd be leery if the price is too good to be true, and vastly lower than what your local optician charges.

My optometrist gives one free "do over" if I don't like the prescription or it doesn't work out for any reason. It's worth it.

ultraman6970
02-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Sport rx gives you one do over aswell... and its fair because u never know what is going to happen with the new lenses specially if are progressive. BTW an advice, always try to get the P.D from your doctor before leaving the doctor office. Some doctors do not add the P.D in the prescriptions.

jlwdm
02-17-2017, 08:53 PM
I had some Robert Marc frames with progressive lenses that are great but cost $750 or $800. In December I bought a pair of Warby Parker frames ($149) and progressive lenses ($200) and they have been great also. Though not as many compliments as the Robert Marc frames. I think this is what you are going to have to spend.

Jeff

daker13
02-18-2017, 10:19 AM
Thanks all.

Meh, $250 for back-up glasses when I already own the frame... would rather load up on bike tires.

choke
02-18-2017, 03:48 PM
I don't wear progressives so I can't comment on that angle, but I have ordered prescription glasses online for several years. I've been very happy with the results and will continue to do so in the future. I do have glasses purchased from the optometrist as well (I needed them in a hurry) and I can't tell any differences in the Rx between the two.

I've purchased from Zenni Optical and Frames Direct.

douglas
02-19-2017, 09:41 AM
I've ordered everyday progressives on line with no problems. The ones I'm wearing now came from $39 Glasses. I don't remember what they cost but they were much cheaper than the local Pearl Vision and I haven't had any problems with them.

Ralph
02-19-2017, 10:36 AM
I'm far sighted, and need some help with reading. My far vision is borderline needing help, and so is my reading in good light.

Most of the time I wear progressive lenses, especially for driving.

But for cycling....regular non prescription sun glasses are fine for distance. But still could use some help reading the GPS, map, etc.

So....(and I admit I don't like to spend if I don't need to spend) I bought some Tifosi Veloce readers, where the magnifying part is so small an area they don't interfere with distance vision. Not good enough to read a book with, but perfect for cycling. $35 on E bay.....and they are more than adequate for my cycling needs. Admittedly my vision problems are borderline.

daker13
02-19-2017, 04:53 PM
I shouldn't really NEED the progressives for things like biking or the other sport I play, tennis (and I definitely don't need them for running). but as time goes on, it is very irritating to me not to be able to focus on that thing 18-24 inches from my face. Playing tennis, it now takes me about 1/2 hour to be able to focus on the ball and put a good hit on it, and with biking, I can't really focus on the Garmin at this point. I guess now it's either progressives, or nothing.

Ralph
02-19-2017, 06:24 PM
For the price.....I'm a big fan of Tifosi cycling sunglasses. On E bay they go for about 1/2 normal retail.

The Veloce model fits my face well. I didn't know they made readers until one day was surfing E bay looking at various models. The ones I got came from a Golf Pro shop.....dirt cheap. I like how Tifosi vents their glasses to avoid fogging....a problem in cold for me.

Not saying these the greatest thing since sliced bread....or the greatest glasses, etc......but they are dedicated cycling/golf glasses/ whatever glasses, come in various reader strengths, and get the job done. I can read my Garmin fine with them. Plenty good enough for the rough use I give cycling glasses.

saf-t
02-22-2017, 02:27 PM
I shouldn't really NEED the progressives for things like biking or the other sport I play, tennis (and I definitely don't need them for running). but as time goes on, it is very irritating to me not to be able to focus on that thing 18-24 inches from my face. Playing tennis, it now takes me about 1/2 hour to be able to focus on the ball and put a good hit on it, and with biking, I can't really focus on the Garmin at this point. I guess now it's either progressives, or nothing.

I just had a new pair of polarized fishing glasses made, and rather than getting another pair of progressives, got regular bifocals that were set for the distance at which I tie on a fly. Saved a bunch of money, and it would seem that you could get the bifocal set for your Garmin distance...........

Clancy
02-22-2017, 06:35 PM
I did this through Sports RX, bi-vocals instead of progressives. Distance set for Garmin. Work great for cycling, not so much for everything else, ok but not perfect.

I've been ordering my everyday glasses from Zenni. Progressives with coating, $65 or so. Was recommended by a friend and I was very skeptical but glasses are just fine. Stupid cheap