PDA

View Full Version : Source for Powertap end caps that IS NOT Powertap.com?

eBAUMANN
02-17-2017, 01:24 PM
I just need 1 $9 end cap...and they want to charge $10 to ship it...

Anyone know of another source for PT stuff?

Thanks in advance!

earlfoss
02-17-2017, 01:27 PM
I wonder if you could call them and just ask for free shipping? Their CS is great, and if you catch them in the right mood they might see things your way.

eBAUMANN
02-17-2017, 01:49 PM
I wonder if you could call them and just ask for free shipping? Their CS is great, and if you catch them in the right mood they might see things your way.

Yea I already emailed asking for clarification on the end cap spec, because they apparently use the same caps for the non-drive AND drive side (but make no mention of that on the item page)>
Weird but smart...i guess?

Anyways.

They got back to me pretty quick and I already emailed back asking if they could adjust the shipping cost for such a tiny/cheap item...no reply yet.
I cant see why they WOULDNT, $10 to ship an end cap is laughable.

jruhlen1980
02-17-2017, 02:00 PM
Lbs?

eBAUMANN
02-17-2017, 02:08 PM
Lbs?

The following is not an actual conversation but a very close approximation of what goes down every time I call a "LBS" for something:

eB - "Hello, do you carry ______ stuff?"

LBS - "Yep, what do you need?"

eB - "A ________________"

LBS - "Hmmmm, dont have any in stock, but I could order you one."

eB - "Yea...me too, thanks anyways."

I get the "support your LBS" thing, but I really dont think they are sitting in the red/black over a $9 end cap.

EDIT -

It also just occured to me that that might not have been a loaded suggestion haha, in which case I apologize for my mildly snarky/sarcastic (but sadly very true) response there.

jruhlen1980
02-17-2017, 02:27 PM
My LBS doesn't charge shipping when they special order parts. YMMV.

Apologies, I should have made that clear.

Mark McM
02-17-2017, 02:46 PM
My LBS doesn't charge shipping when they special order parts. YMMV.

Apologies, I should have made that clear.

Mine doesn't either. But they also want payment up front, and only place orders to their suppliers once or twice a week. When they receive it, they call me up and I have to come and pick it up. So it's the worst of both worlds - paying LBS prices, without the convenience of not having to wait for an item to be shipped and arrive.

Mind you, I'm not actually complaining, because its kind of moot point. I (and many others here) aren't really the LBS's primary customer anyway - even from before the internet.

bicycletricycle
02-17-2017, 02:59 PM
For those of us that have not operated a business, $10 seems like a lot for shipping an item. When you are paying for a shipping and receiving department it looks a lot different.

All I am saying is, it is not just that they are trying to rip you off or something.

eBAUMANN
02-17-2017, 03:01 PM
For those of us that have not operated a business, $10 seems like a lot for shipping an item. When you are paying for a shipping and receiving department it looks a lot different.

All I am saying is, it is not just that they are trying to rip you off or something.

Oh I know that, its all just some automated system with a $10 low end, i just find it funny that in this day and age a company like PowerTap have yet to put a system in place for small parts that can easily be shipped USPS first class. I know, probably not a priority for them...but it was SOMEONE'S job to set up that store/shipping system and SOMEONE decided to take the easy way out.

bicycletricycle
02-17-2017, 03:24 PM
Oh I know that, its all just some automated system with a $10 low end, i just find it funny that in this day and age a company like PowerTap have yet to put a system in place for small parts that can easily be shipped USPS first class. I know, probably not a priority for them...but it was SOMEONE'S job to set up that store/shipping system and SOMEONE decided to take the easy way out.

sure, that minimum cost might reflect just what you are saying. the cheapest thing they can send ($2 first class envelope) plus the overhead to ship that (employees, shipping software, management, etc....)

it is true that someone decided, perhaps what they decided is that they don't want to loose money on shipping small parts.

anyways, sorry for the sidetrack. I have no idea what other sources are available for this component. I guess I just felt like being a pain today.