PDA

View Full Version : Ksyrium Rear Hub Adjustment question

Clydesdale
02-17-2017, 09:44 AM
I replaced the freehub bushing on a Ksyrium rear hub and after reassembly the freewheeling is very tight and sticky. Is the likely cause the bearing cap or the rear axle bolt? It seems ok off the bike but once the wheel is installed it drags. I don't have a torque wrench but I think the tension should be close (light pressure but no drag on the bearing cap and firm but no cranking on the axle bolt.)

It seems like the skewer is creating too much pressure on the axle? I'm confident I can find a place where there is free rotation and no play by adjusting the rear axle bolt, but I'm not sure if that is the right approach.

My only other thought is that the new bushing, which seems seated and sized properly, is actually slightly larger and creating some tension when the wheel is on? Also installed a new rubber seal which could create some drag initially?

Do I just ride it as is and expect things to "settle in" or is there an adjustment that needs to be made.

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

oldpotatoe
02-17-2017, 11:29 AM
I replaced the freehub bushing on a Ksyrium rear hub and after reassembly the freewheeling is very tight and sticky. Is the likely cause the bearing cap or the rear axle bolt? It seems ok off the bike but once the wheel is installed it drags. I don't have a torque wrench but I think the tension should be close (light pressure but no drag on the bearing cap and firm but no cranking on the axle bolt.)

It seems like the skewer is creating too much pressure on the axle? I'm confident I can find a place where there is free rotation and no play by adjusting the rear axle bolt, but I'm not sure if that is the right approach.

My only other thought is that the new bushing, which seems seated and sized properly, is actually slightly larger and creating some tension when the wheel is on? Also installed a new rubber seal which could create some drag initially?

Do I just ride it as is and expect things to "settle in" or is there an adjustment that needs to be made.

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Didja remember the washer under the freehub body? No adjust via axle bolt, that's just tightened. Non drive side plate for bearing adjust.

rab
02-17-2017, 03:40 PM
Is the replacement an official Mavic bushing or an aftermarket part? I would measure it to ensure it's the correct size, I've heard stories of some aftermarket parts being a bit out of tolerance leading to this effect. If too thick you can sand it down as one option, annoying as this is for a new part.
And definitely make sure that washer didn't get forgotten. I did that once after some maintenance...

Clydesdale
02-17-2017, 04:44 PM
I'll check the washer but pretty sure I put it back. I'll also hit everything with a fresh coat of mineral oil. I might put a few hundred miles on and see what happens.

Thanks