PDA

View Full Version : Rider down...hello again PL...

ColnagoFan
02-16-2017, 09:18 PM
Hello everyone.
It's been a few months since I have visited the forum, and I've missed the action here.
I had a bad accident on 12/10 that put me into the hospital. Several fractures in the pelvis, a collarbone with some fresh hardware, and worst of all a traumatic brain injury. I won't go into details on the accident as there is some pending legal action, but I will say it was caused by an inattentive driver.

I'm better now, able to walk, and use my arm for things like picking up coffee/etc, but the first week in the hospital is just about a blank for me. I have a few bits and pieces of memories, but nothing really major.

I have to say, it could have been worse. I'm home with my family, I'm able to spend every day with my wife and two small children, it could have been much, much worse.
I haven't really come back onto PL in a while, I think because I miss riding my bike so much, and all this stuff is just a reminder, but I do miss the goings-on here, and I wanted to say hello to everyone.

It's looking like it will be another couple of months until I'm cleared to return to work, so in the meantime I'm really not doing too much of anything. Trying to rest my brain, recover, and return to the life I led.

Anyway, hello everyone. Helmets are wonderful, wonderful things. Hug your family!

gasman
02-16-2017, 09:21 PM
Glad you are relatively okay. Welcome back !

R3awak3n
02-16-2017, 09:27 PM
Just glad you are here to tell the story. Hopes of a fast recovery. When I had a major accident (and nothing close to what you had, it really put a lot of things in prespective). Take the time to rest and keep yer head up (I know its hard, its easy to get depressed, I sure did when I had an accident)

Louis
02-16-2017, 09:29 PM
Welcome back, CF. That's a bummer, but it's good to hear that you're getting better.

Keep at the PT, and hopefully your "new normal" will be as close as possible to the "old normal."

cmbicycles
02-16-2017, 09:29 PM
Best wishes for your recovery.

stephenmarklay
02-16-2017, 09:33 PM
Damn I hate to hear this. I am so sorry. Very scary. I am glad you are mending.

William
02-16-2017, 09:36 PM
Welcome back CF! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

William

shovelhd
02-16-2017, 09:38 PM
Hoo boy. Heal up quick.

ColnagoFan
02-16-2017, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I will be 100% better, it'll just take in all likelihood a full year for my head to get back to where it was. Body is more like 4-8 months, depending on how my body heals.

Yeah it sucks, but hell, I get to spend every day with my young kids right now, at a really great age. I took a walk around the block with my 2.5 year old son the other day, 75* and sunny, and we just walked and "looked for clues" (to what I am not entirely sure). Life is pretty good, yeah I miss my bike, I miss my work (wow weird!), I miss all that stuff. But then I look at my busted helmet, at my jersey they had to cut off of me, I see photos of me in the hospital with my dad that I don't remember, and I think "it's just stuff." Life is family and love, and I have that in spades.

In the meantime I'll live vicariously through all of you guys!

And man, it was SO hard to be looking at that last Rapha sale, thinking of my FAVORITE KIT that they had to cut off of me, and not order anything. I won't need it for a while, and there will be another sale!

OtayBW
02-16-2017, 09:49 PM
Oh geez....
Glad you're OK and on the mend.

Mzilliox
02-16-2017, 09:51 PM
good attitude, mend well

SpeedyChix
02-16-2017, 09:55 PM
So glad to hear that you survived. Hope your strength and upbeat outlook continue as you work your way through things and back to full health.

Rest, recover and hope to read a post from you from time to time as you're up to it.

Black Dog
02-16-2017, 10:06 PM
Welcome back. Good to hear that you will mend and that you are getting more this experience than it took from you.

dustyrider
02-16-2017, 10:12 PM
Oh man, distracted drivers suck!:no:

I hope the road to recovery is a short one. Take care of your brain, a TBI is no-joke. Next time I take out the pistachio Sakura, I'll send out the good vibes it never fails to bring. Right along with a smile or a comment from someone on the trails. Heal up!

Louis
02-16-2017, 10:39 PM
Speaking of distracted drivers, I wonder how much of this is due to them (e.g. cell phones and more and more gadgets in the car to fiddle with)?

Will anything ever be done about it?

https://nyti.ms/2llDBj8

2016 Traffic Deaths Jump to Highest Level in Nearly a Decade

WASHINGTON — A jump in traffic fatalities last year pushed deaths on U.S. roads to their highest level in nearly a decade, erasing improvements made during the Great Recession and economic recovery, a leading safety organization said Wednesday.

Fatalities rose 6 percent in 2016, reaching an estimated 40,200 deaths compared to 37,757 deaths the previous year, according the National Safety Council. The group gets its data from states. The last time there were more than 40,000 fatalities in a single year was in 2007, just before the economy tanked. There were 41,000 deaths that year.

The increase came as Americans drove more last year — a 3 percent increase in total miles. The council cited continued lower gasoline prices and an improving economy as key factors.

Following an increase in fatalities in 2015, the United States has had the sharpest two-year increase in traffic deaths in 53 years, the council said.

Americans have come to accept large numbers of traffic deaths as inevitable instead of than taking actions that would prevent them, said Deborah Hersman, the council's president.

:
:

"Additionally, driver distraction and our society's addiction to electronic devices is likely playing a role in the increase in deaths," Adkins said.

weisan
02-16-2017, 10:50 PM
Nago pal, forget everything else, look at me...do you remember "Hampstoots"? :D

soulspinner
02-17-2017, 04:45 AM
Best of luck on your recovery.You have an excellent perspective.

oldpotatoe
02-17-2017, 05:05 AM
Hello everyone.
It's been a few months since I have visited the forum, and I've missed the action here.
I had a bad accident on 12/10 that put me into the hospital. Several fractures in the pelvis, a collarbone with some fresh hardware, and worst of all a traumatic brain injury. I won't go into details on the accident as there is some pending legal action, but I will say it was caused by an inattentive driver.

I'm better now, able to walk, and use my arm for things like picking up coffee/etc, but the first week in the hospital is just about a blank for me. I have a few bits and pieces of memories, but nothing really major.

I have to say, it could have been worse. I'm home with my family, I'm able to spend every day with my wife and two small children, it could have been much, much worse.
I haven't really come back onto PL in a while, I think because I miss riding my bike so much, and all this stuff is just a reminder, but I do miss the goings-on here, and I wanted to say hello to everyone.

It's looking like it will be another couple of months until I'm cleared to return to work, so in the meantime I'm really not doing too much of anything. Trying to rest my brain, recover, and return to the life I led.

Anyway, hello everyone. Helmets are wonderful, wonderful things. Hug your family!

'Bicycles' aside, you have friends here and we are thrilled it wasn't worse.
Huzzah!, as they say.

"it'll be ok in the end, if it's not OK, it's not the end"..

indeed.

daker13
02-17-2017, 06:52 AM
Glad you're able to stay focused on the positives--it's very inspirational. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

douglas
02-17-2017, 07:23 AM
Take care, continue to love and enjoy your family and heal up.

DRZRM
02-17-2017, 07:32 AM
Wow, you take care of yourself, so glad you are still with us! Take advantage of the time home with your loved ones.

Tickdoc
02-17-2017, 07:55 AM
yeesh. Glad you are recovering and don't be a stranger.

Sending more healing vibes your way!

Lewis Moon
02-17-2017, 08:02 AM
'NagoMan,
Really glad to hear you're on the road back. Good vibes to you and everyone who plays in traffic on two wheels.

572cv
02-17-2017, 08:10 AM
My wishes for a continuing strong recovery, very glad you are in fact on a recovery path. I went down in September, much less serious, but still hospitalized with a concussion. It is surprising how long it takes for your brain to recover. That said, it sounds like you will do so. But it is true that giving it time, and rest as needed, will help the process. I went through a period of time where I was generally, kinda ok, but for at least part of each day, felt fuzzy. I took naps. I backed off. I tried to keep up exercise, like trainer spinning, but not too much. When a family member said 'can I help with that' I learned to say thank you. I got a new helmet. I kept track of progress, for encouragement.

I am touched by your ability to look at the bright side, to recognize the value of the time with family, kids. That's how I felt. The value of each day is high. Happy to hear of your progress as time goes by.

binxnyrwarrsoul
02-17-2017, 08:11 AM
Welcome back, heal up. Good you're still with us.

R00td0wn
02-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Welcome back, your outlook is very positive and should help the recovery.

zap
02-17-2017, 08:45 AM
Heal quickly and stay positive. Spend more time with family, friends and mother nature.......walks in parks, woods, etc.

Tony
02-17-2017, 08:47 AM
Wishing you the best ColnagoFan, steadier, stronger and better every day.

rallizes
02-17-2017, 08:48 AM
Welcome back!

I'm sending some good thoughts your way!

velomateo
02-17-2017, 08:51 AM
So sorry for your injuries, but you have a great attitude that I'm sure will help you recover. Plus a 2 1/2 year old to entertain you. Get well.

chuckred
02-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Nothing like kids to keep in perspective about what's really important! They need you, so what better incentive to heal well!

chiasticon
02-17-2017, 09:12 AM
sorry you have to go through this, but glad that you're going to be back to 100%, even if it will take some time.

time off the bike recovering from injury sucks, but it does make you appreciate some of the little things in life you sometimes miss, and hopefully enjoy the world in a new way. sounds like that's where you're at, and it's great to hear.

since nobody asked, I will: is the bike a total write-off?

MattTuck
02-17-2017, 09:16 AM
I am sorry hear of this major bummer dude.

I sincerely hope that you make a full recovery, and recognize how hard it can be to come back from a TBI. Keep up with therapy and PT as you are allowed.

rePhil
02-17-2017, 09:24 AM
Until there are consequences, things will stay the same or sadly get worse.

Perhaps the Insurance carriers should be allowed to charge an exorbitant rate for a set time like a few years ( in addition to the usual rate increases) to discourage distracted driving. And / or the threat of losing your license for a set time if distracted driving causes bodily harm.

Currently, the punishment does not fit the crime.

ColnagoFan
02-17-2017, 09:48 AM
Nago pal, forget everything else, look at me...do you remember "Hampstoots"? :D

Hahaha! It's the ONLY thing I could remember...shouting HAMPSTOOTS! HAMPSTOOTS! in the recovery room! ;)

Yes, thanks all. The only real attitude to take is a good one. It'll get me better faster, and I'll enjoy the time as well. Things could've been a lot worse, hell I think my (steel) bike came out mostly ok even. So when I'm ready to get back on the bike, it'll be there!

Happy to be back and enjoying the camaraderie here. Thank you all for the well-wishes.

Now let's talk about insurance reform...the bills that are rolling in, man they should be criminal! :banana:

cdn_bacon
02-17-2017, 10:03 AM
Speedy a recovery as possible wished for you.

2metalhips
02-17-2017, 10:32 AM
Sorry to hear this, heal up and best wishes to you and family.

thwart
02-17-2017, 10:36 AM
Glad to hear you're improving, and back to posting here.

And the attitude is priceless... :beer:

vqdriver
02-17-2017, 11:17 AM
that sounds rough, and horrible. i'm really glad to hear you'll recover. even if it's painful, these days may be looked back on with fondness for the time you get to spend with the family. good on your for recognizing that now, while you can still relish it.

heal up

Tony T
02-17-2017, 11:38 AM
Welcome back!

Matthew
02-17-2017, 01:21 PM
Sending best wishes your way!! Glad to have you back and look forward to future posts here. Hopefully some will be ride related down the road. Good luck to you!!! Matt

Saint Vitus
02-17-2017, 03:02 PM
I took a walk around the block with my 2.5 year old son the other day, 75* and sunny, and we just walked and "looked for clues" (to what I am not entirely sure).

Maybe he's on a Robert Palmer kick :D

https://youtu.be/q8mhSOWMY38

Godspeed man and another member here that's glad to see a positive approach and hoping for a 100% recovery!

veloduffer
02-17-2017, 04:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident and hope you mend quickly!

ultraman6970
02-17-2017, 06:53 PM
Get well soon colnago man!