PDA

View Full Version : Leather bar tape input please (HandleBra, Brooks, etc)

donevwil
02-16-2017, 07:18 PM
On the heels of my Lizard skin thread, I'm looking for alternatives to my once favorite Fizik Microtex to compliment two builds in their current aesthetic scheme without going neutral (Fizik discontinued the two colors I was using and two boxes of NOS I purchased turned out to be defective). I don't like foam or cork, but do have Velo Orange leather tape on one bike. I love the feel when dry, but it becomes slimy and sticky when wet. Certainly not a viable all-weather bar tape.

How about HandleBra, Brooks, or a synthetic similar to Fizik Microtex?

djg21
02-16-2017, 07:20 PM
Hi love HandleBra. It lasts a long, long time if cared for.

Hilltopperny
02-16-2017, 07:25 PM
I recently purchased fabric alm buffalo leather for my Marcelo and although I can't speak for its overall durability yet, it's very nice stuff. Far superior feel and finish compared to the Brooks tape I've used in the past.

I also like the fabric knurl bar wrap and have it on at least 3 other bikes. It's a softer silicone wrap with some texture. Very comfortable and can be removed and reused without any issues.

buddybikes
02-16-2017, 07:31 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fireflybicycles/10074446306/in/album-72157636160361504/

donevwil
02-16-2017, 07:36 PM
I know HandleBra looks great, plus jmoore recovered a saddle in some HandleBra leather, I'm curious what it's like in really wet situations. Seems to work OK while still on the animal.

Llewellyn
02-16-2017, 07:40 PM
I know HandleBra looks great, plus jmoore recovered a saddle in some HandleBra leather, I'm curious what it's like in really wet situations. Seems to work OK while still on the animal.

I've had Handlebra on my wet weather bike and it's been great - still looks as good as new. I've just taken it off to use on another bike and it should be fine for a few more years. It's brilliant stuff.

beeemmjay
02-16-2017, 07:53 PM
I'm a super proponent for Adarga leather tape; I love it!
I've used the Handlebra and Dipell tapes, which are great, they're just more expensive.
I can't speak to the colours because I run black, but it wears really well, doesn't get sticky or slimy in hot hot heat or wet. It wraps easily, it's smooth, and for me, has just the right amount of natural cushion. I've also dealt personally with Ryan the owner, and he's a stand up dude. I've bought it direct (online), but you can buy from FairWheel Bikes, or other online sources.

VTCaraco
02-16-2017, 08:44 PM
I waded into the nicer wrap to dress up a Carl Strong bike and went with Handlebra because Ray was active on the forum and it felt like being a good forum-member to go with his stuff. I liked it so much that I haven't used anything since then. It's an essential part of any build that I have.

And to tell you the truth, it's of a sufficiently high-quality that you can get years and years out of the stuff.

Not sure whether the tactile feel of any of the competition is equal or even better, but it would take a lot of convincing for me to go with a different product when you consider the whole ~ forum-friend, quality and durability.

dave thompson
02-16-2017, 10:02 PM
HandleBra for me, used it for years. Matter of fact I've used one roll on about 5 different bikes and still looks good. Nice in the wet.

One of mine from the HandleBra gallery..

Walter
02-17-2017, 07:00 AM
Another vote for HandleBra. Great tape and Ray is wonderful to work with.

AngryScientist
02-17-2017, 07:02 AM
and another vote for handlebra. i have some black stuff going on years old that i've done nothing to take care of, and it has that nice broken in feel to it. love it.

Frankwurst
02-17-2017, 07:05 AM
Put me on the list for HandleBra I have it on two bikes soon to be on two more.
:beer:

cmbicycles
02-17-2017, 07:46 AM
I'm just curious, I've not previously considered using leather tape, how many options are there? Handlebra I've run across in the forum, Brooks?, Adarga (just from above)... are there many more vendors? I have a set of brown leather tape I've never used but no idea who made it.

Cicli
02-17-2017, 08:26 AM
I'm just curious, I've not previously considered using leather tape, how many options are there? Handlebra I've run across in the forum, Brooks?, Adarga (just from above)... are there many more vendors? I have a set of brown leather tape I've never used but no idea who made it.

I had a bad Handlebra expierence. The stuff felt great but had a bad seam. Didnt come apart but started to roll back there and the finish at the seam was bad. Ray didnt seem interested even when I offered to buy just the single roll. I gave it away here.
Bought the Adarga tape and love it. Brooks is pretty good as well. It has seams but they hide well.

Elefantino
02-17-2017, 08:33 AM
I have had nothing but good experiences with Ray and my Handlebra®.

Great stuff! Had one roll for 7 years that I took off a sold bike and it looks great, raring to go on the next one!

bking
02-17-2017, 08:36 AM
I've got Ray's stuff on 6 or 7 bikes. Never had a problem, love it. Handlebra, mark down another vote.

William
02-17-2017, 08:37 AM
Another very satisfied Handlebra user here. Supple and it just lasts.

William

weisan
02-17-2017, 09:20 AM
True story.
This was like 7-8 years ago...

"Hey Ray pal, can you send me a roll to try out?"

"Yeah, sure! What color you want?"

"Oh....I think white would look nice on my custom."

"Okay. I will send you the "whitest" one we got..."

I finally took mine off last year. That's like 5+ years of constant usage, under all kinds of conditions, rain or shine. As Ray said it himself, it's hard to make any money when your product lasts so damn long. ;)

http://alicehui.com/pics/Taylor/img/taylor5.jpg

rccardr
02-17-2017, 10:14 AM
I've not yet tried Handlebra, but have had excellent result with both Smootape (the leather ones) and Sella Italia (comes in colors ro match their saddles). Works especially well over a layer of gel tape, no problems with color fading or slipperiness in the rain.

Tried Brooks once, didn't like it. But I suspect there is Handlebra in my future.

Joachim
02-17-2017, 10:18 AM
I have tried to reach Ray countless times and has not received a response. If he can't respond to emails, does he still ship orders? I tried to reach him through his handlebra email address and when that didn't work after a few times, contacted him via Paceline too. No one could tell me if he was still alive even. "Its hard to make money when you don't respond to emails".

thwart
02-17-2017, 10:23 AM
Have used HandleBra, Brooks, Toshi leather bar tape.

All good stuff, really.

Unlike Weisan-pal, I had wear issues with my white Handlebra, but it performed very well otherwise.

The Brooks isn't very grippy (at all) with winter gloves, but performs well in warmer weather; more absorbent than the others.

For several reasons including inertia, the two still on my current bikes are Toshi and Brooks.

bironi
02-17-2017, 10:35 AM
Berthoud is nice.
http://i.imgur.com/WwgjiUz.jpg

teleguy57
02-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Interesting thread; been thinking about leather bar tape but wasn't ready to pull the tape on handlebra because of some comments about white (my preferred color).

After seeing Adarga leather tape referenced here a little google-fu told me it's made in Milwaukee, and they have a local store with a $5 discount. I get there several times a month so will likely pick some up and give it a go.

Tangent: Milwaukee had a strong leather/tanning industry in the first part of the last century. Still some really good companies doing specialty work. My grandfather was part of a glove mfg company in the early 1900s. I recently discovered he was a cyclist when going through some family history papers with my mom and found a list of members of the West Side Cycling Club in Milwaukee dated Dec 6, 1898. Handwritten, on printed club stationary, and the list included my grandfather's name -- and his brother and I think a cousin listed as officers of the club. We was 21 years old then so likely in prime cycling condition!

maj
02-17-2017, 11:07 AM
Just to get this out of the way.....

[insert: generic quip regarding leather bars]

donevwil
02-17-2017, 12:15 PM
Thanks all for the great feedback. Will definitely try either HandleBra or Adarga. The red HandleBra is close to the color I want, but I see a red in the Adarga that would be a great match for me. Unfortunately I only see white, black, honey brown and chocolate for sale anywhere.

donevwil
02-17-2017, 12:18 PM
Interesting thread; been thinking about leather bar tape but wasn't ready to pull the tape on handlebra because of some comments about white (my preferred color).

After seeing Adarga leather tape referenced here a little google-fu told me it's made in Milwaukee, and they have a local store with a $5 discount. I get there several times a month so will likely pick some up and give it a go.

Any chance you would be willing to pick up a red for me if they happen to have it?

teleguy57
02-17-2017, 01:49 PM
Any chance you would be willing to pick up a red for me if they happen to have it?
PM sent

teleguy57
02-17-2017, 04:01 PM
For those of you using leather tapes, how many are riding sans gloves? For the past several seasons unless I need gloves for warmth I've been more comfortable bare-handed. That does require a tape that feels good to the hand as well as providing some "grippability" as I've had tape that got really slick when hot and humid.

djg21
02-17-2017, 05:58 PM
For those of you using leather tapes, how many are riding sans gloves? For the past several seasons unless I need gloves for warmth I've been more comfortable bare-handed. That does require a tape that feels good to the hand as well as providing some "grippability" as I've had tape that got really slick when hot and humid.

I hate wearing gloves and never use them in warm weather. The Handlebra is great. I have big hands and like wide bar with thicker grips, so I use Fizik bar gel pads underneath the HandleBra. As Ray suggests, I use hockey stick tape to secure the bar gel and prewrap the bar. This stops the HandleBra from migrating (it doesn't have any adhesive, so can be removed to clean, though I've never had to do this). The HandleBra can be a little slick for a day or so when it is new, but then breaks in. Barring a crash, the wrap lasts many seasons. The wrap on my current road bike is 4-5 yrs old, and must have 20k miles on it. I wipe it with leather cleaner and spray it with 303 aerospace protectant a couple times each season, and it still looks new.

donevwil
02-17-2017, 06:02 PM
I hate wearing gloves and never use them in warm weather. The Handlebra is great. I have big hands and like wide bar with thicker grips, so I use Fizik bar gel pads underneath the HandleBra. As Ray suggests, I use hockey stick tape to secure the bar gel and prewrap the bar. This stops the HandleBra from migrating (it doesn't have any adhesive, so can be removed to clean, though I've never had to do this). The HandleBra can be a little slick for a day or so when it is new, but then breaks in. Barring a crash, the wrap lasts many seasons. The wrap on my current road bike is 4-5 yrs old, and must have 20k miles on it. I wipe it with leather cleaner and spray it with 303 aerospace protectant a couple times each season, and it still looks new.

Do you pre-wrap the entire bar with the hockey stick tape or just in the region of the pads?

djg21
02-17-2017, 06:11 PM
Do you pre-wrap the entire bar with the hockey stick tape or just in the region of the pads?

I prewrap the whole bar, right over the gel pads. I never have a problem with the HandleBra slipping or migrating.

donevwil
02-17-2017, 06:19 PM
I prewrap the whole bar, right over the gel pads. I never have a problem with the HandleBra slipping or migrating.

How do you like the gel pads? Was the cushiness desired or was it simply a means to an end (larger diameter)? How cushy are they? I too have very large hands and usually wrap the tops and ramps in some cheap foam bar tape before the final wrap. I like the increased diameter, but fear the gel pads would be too cushy for my taste.

djg21
02-17-2017, 06:26 PM
How do you like the gel pads? Was the cushiness desired or was it simply a means to an end (larger diameter)? How cushy are they? I too have very large hands and usually wrap the tops and ramps in some cheap foam bar tape before the final wrap. I like the increased diameter, but fear the gel pads would be too cushy for my taste.

It isn't really too cushy, and the Handlebra itself is pretty comfortable. I'd doubt you know the bar gel was there if you rode my bike and weren't told in advance. But I'm sure it makes things a little more comfortable when on bad or dirt roads. I mainly use it because I like a bit more diameter where I grip the drops and the tops of my bars.

teleguy57
04-05-2017, 07:32 PM
followup post:

Went to Milwaukee to pick up some Adarga tape (https://www.adarga.net/home.html) and met Ryan in person. Good guy and we had a great conversation. He has really good looking matches for many of the Brooks colors. I picked up some white as that's my go-to color for my ti Hampsten.

The white has a light coating similar to what's on golf shoes to make give it a real white color. It's more a matte finish than shiny, and a very smooth look. I was a little concerned about grip as I ride bare handed, but so far the feel is very good and not at all slippery. Now, our temps have only reached the high 50s F here in WI a couple of times so I'll need more time to see what happens when I get really sweaty. However, when I've ridden without gloves and had a little perspiration on my hands the grip got even better.

So, I like it a lot. Disclaimer -- haven't had Handlebra, Brooks or anything else, so can't compare, but this is good stuff and a real value at Ryan's retail pricing.

dpascal
04-09-2017, 12:32 PM
I have the brooks leather tape. It looks amazing and feels amazing.
Do not forget to take care of it with pure almond oil and it will last forever.

MerckxMad
07-02-2018, 12:42 PM
I recently purchased rolls of Brook Honey bar wrap, which I've used in the past on a number of bikes. I noticed that the new rolls have glued seams. No matter how I tried to wrap the bars, the seam falls right on the ramps leading to the brake hoods. A day after the install, one seam is coming undone. This is not what I expect from a $70 product.

AngryScientist
07-02-2018, 01:07 PM
that's too bad about the brooks. i've used it before with OK results, but the handebra is definitely a nice product.

has anyone ordered from Ray @ handlebra recently?

djg21
07-02-2018, 01:11 PM
that's too bad about the brooks. i've used it before with OK results, but the handebra is definitely a nice product.

I had him make wrap for my new bike in March. He’s around.

Keith A
07-02-2018, 01:25 PM
I had him make wrap for my new bike in March. He’s around.How did you contact him?

djg21
07-02-2018, 01:36 PM
How did you contact him?

I sent you a PM. I don’t want to post his email publicly without his prior consent. I think he periodically checks messages at the email listed on his website. https://www.handlebra.com/contact-us/

rounder
07-02-2018, 08:48 PM
Another vote for Handlebra...Go Ray.

sc53
07-03-2018, 02:36 PM

I just ordered a new wrap from Ray about 2 months ago--go straight to his website and put in your order, I heard back from him the next day. Don't try emailing him privately or anything, just go straight to the Handlebra website and use the order form.

cash05458
07-03-2018, 03:54 PM
Yet another vote for handlebra...have them on 4 bikes here...all for many years now. Hope Ray is doing well...sent him a few emails and have heard nothing.

spinarelli
07-03-2018, 04:54 PM
i really wish brooks would make a L and R side tape, so the logos that are stamped in the leather would read right side up on both sides. The way it is now you have to either have one side upside down or wrap one bar in reverse direction so the logos like and and face right. My OCD problems, I'm sure most would not notice.

djg21
07-03-2018, 11:29 PM
For those looking for Handlebra (https://www.handlebra.com), you can contact Ray at handlebraleatherwrap@gmail.com.

ColonelJLloyd
07-03-2018, 11:45 PM
I read through this thread, but didn't see the Velo Orange seamless perforated leather tape mentioned. I've used it for many years on a few bikes. I've also owned the Brooks tape and it is not of the quality of the VO.