PDA

View Full Version : Bike Rental In Paris?

melac1
02-15-2017, 07:11 PM
Hey paceline,
This summer, I'm planning on going to Paris for a week and a half and was wondering if anybody has any recommendations for bike rentals in paris. I'm not looking for something too nice as it will be likely locked up, but something that can get me around reliably would be great.
Thanks,
Calem

nooneline
02-15-2017, 07:16 PM
there's a city bikeshare called Velib.

CDollarsign
02-15-2017, 07:38 PM
We did the bike share. Paris is almost too congested to ride depending on where you are. My wife and I rode them all over Lyon though...

Black Dog
02-16-2017, 06:23 AM
We did the bike share. Paris is almost too congested to ride depending on where you are. My wife and I rode them all over Lyon though...

This. In Lyon they are great, in Paris not the same, very busy. Transit in Paris is fantastic, as is walking.

02-16-2017, 11:42 AM
+1. Riding a bike in Paris is not really fun. Stores and restaurants don't have amenities for securing your bike safely, certainly not inside. Very few bike racks and you can get your bike confiscated or ticketed if you put it on a lamp post or anything like that. Roads are narrow, curbs are high, drivers open doors without looking, and roads are all too often very rough (cobbled) and slippery. The town is set up for walking and public transport. Ride the roads of the big races outside of town -- Paris Roubaix and the like -- or ride in other towns. You'll be disappointed in trying to ride in Paris.

d_douglas
02-16-2017, 12:11 PM
there's a city bikeshare called Velib.

Velib tout la journee! It is simple and effective and cheap. There's no need for a performance bike there, plus the streets are pretty busy. I rode a bit there and never felt comfortable, in spite of living and riding in Geneva for 7years.

Buy some nice walking/jogging shoes and get on the Metro would be my suggestion.

ls1togo
02-16-2017, 03:00 PM
having been there numerous times..I agree with the others...walk!..walk until you drop! morning until night..there's nothing like it, Paris is fantastic!...and the Metro is terrific when you get tired!...

Joel
02-16-2017, 04:25 PM
+1 on the walking around till your feet fall off and then use the metro.

That said, get a velib and do tool around some of the paths on the Siene and some of the parks.

Can't be beat!

melac1
02-16-2017, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I'll see what I can do for public transportation and walking, and if I have an itch for riding, I'll try velib.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

02-16-2017, 05:38 PM
Velib really is the cool way to ride in Paris anyway. Along the Seine, cruising out to some of the burbs, and so on ... use it selectively but for the right places it's magnificent. But bear in mind that Parisians walk. Local residents think nothing of walking five miles to get somewhere, or of a 2-3 mile commuter walk. Just have some really comfortable shoes.

happycampyer
02-16-2017, 06:22 PM
I would note that, while riding a bike on your own in Paris can be dicey, going on a tour with one of the bicycle tour companies is a great way to see the city, and you are protected riding in a group. We did a tour with Fat Tire (we were staying near their starting point), but I've heard good things about Bike About Tours as well. The tours are decidedly not for exercise. If you search the archives you'll ring some threads discussing bike tours in Paris.

martl
02-17-2017, 01:54 AM
Hey paceline,
This summer, I'm planning on going to Paris for a week and a half and was wondering if anybody has any recommendations for bike rentals in paris. I'm not looking for something too nice as it will be likely locked up, but something that can get me around reliably would be great.
Thanks,
Calem

Are you going to stay in a hotel? It might be worth checking if they have bikes for hire, many do nowadays. When using a "Velib", i hear it is a common trick to switch bikes often, as the first 30min are included in the base charge and don't cost extra. Otherwise, using one bike for a full day may set you back as much as 30€

oliver
02-18-2017, 11:57 AM
I wouldn't say riding in Paris is any worse than riding in a large metropolitan area in the US. I've used Velib and it works okay but those bikes see a lot of use and some are in pretty bad condition.