PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about a Moots Ybbeat

Keith A
02-15-2017, 02:08 PM
There's a Moots Ybbeat being sold locally and it has piqued my curiosity. It looks like it is an older one with 26" wheels. Any input on this bike?

oldpotatoe
02-15-2017, 02:20 PM
There's a Moots Ybbeat being sold locally and it has piqued my curiosity. It looks like it is an older one with 26" wheels. Any input on this bike?

Spring/rubber elastomer rear sus. About 1 inch of travel, a little comfort.
Pivotless soft tail, nice design. Sold many.

Keith A
02-15-2017, 02:25 PM
Thanks Peter. Any idea of their value today? I looked on eBay and the asking price for a frame was between $500 to $850, but only one sold for $629.

bicycletricycle
02-15-2017, 02:33 PM
the value of Moots mountain frames seems to be highly dependent on wheel size, 26 models always go for less, especially non disc models.

christian
02-15-2017, 03:22 PM
I had one. Felt like it had a flat rear tire. And the geometry is, um, antiquated. I suppose if you have to, you have to, but I think any modern hardtail will be way more fun if you actually intend to ride it in the woods.

binouye
02-15-2017, 03:23 PM
The older 26" YBBs seem to sell for $650 - $900, depending on size, condition, and canti/disc/both brakes. I bought a used YBB MootoX, the 29er version, 2 years ago -- I overpaid but it was a frame I'd wanted for a long time and the 29er versions didn't/don't show up nearly so often as the older 26s. Seems like MootoX Ybbs go for >> $1000, but they tend to be much newer as well having the bigger wheels.

To me the inch of rear travel is enough, along with a good fork and nice frame. I appreciate the low maintenance schedule and that it is quiet.
I also have a Salsa DosNiner, which is what sold me on the pivotless softail concept. The Salsa frame actually weighs about the same as the Moots (couple ounces heavier?), but in theory the Moots will last a very long time whereas eventually the DosNiner (Scandium) will crack. I've known of DosNiners ridden by 2 friends that cracked, but after several years of very hard use - they both felt they got their money's worth out of those frames and one of them is on a newer Salsa model, so I'm not trying to knock the company at all.

Keith A
02-15-2017, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the good input, I think I'll probably steer clear of this one.

KonaSS
02-15-2017, 04:06 PM
I would steer clear of anything with 26" wheels for any serious riding.

stien
02-15-2017, 04:17 PM
Because if it's has 26" wheels you'll just automatically endo when you enter the forest...

I had a crapton of fun on a 26" wheel rim brake rigid rockhopper from the 90s. It absolutely carves way faster that any 29er I've ridden. The only reason I stopped riding it in the woods last year is that I got it when I was about 8 years old and I have the post wayyy above the min insert. It's now my studded crappy weather commuter. I should find one that fits but really haven't seen any.

doomridesout
02-15-2017, 04:55 PM
Any thoughts on converting a YBB to a Jan Heine-style "enduro allroad" (puke) bike with those huge fat slicks they make, and drop bars?

colker
02-15-2017, 05:14 PM
Any thoughts on converting a YBB to a Jan Heine-style "enduro allroad" (puke) bike with those huge fat slicks they make, and drop bars?

Why not?

NHAero
02-15-2017, 05:49 PM
My Litespeed Unicoi YBB is shown in the thread on 26er dropbar conversions. It's a lot of fun!

happycampyer
02-15-2017, 06:08 PM
I still have my YBB from 2005 or so, and have toyed with the idea of converting it to a drop-bar all-road bike. I wouldn't buy one today, but it was (and still is) a fun bike to ride.

oldpotatoe
02-16-2017, 05:20 AM

Yup, no serious riding to be had pre 29er 'revolution'..:cool:

dustyrider
02-16-2017, 06:38 AM

The riding I've been doing for the last 2 decades from Moab to whistler wasn't supposed to be serious anyways. :help:

colker
02-16-2017, 06:53 AM

BUt you aprove of 650B? Enormous difference..

Davist
02-16-2017, 06:54 AM
I THINK the real issue with 26" is you can't get (or have limited options with) tires anymore.. I have a 26" hardtail, not worth anything, can't find the tires I like, oh well, boxed it up.

KonaSS
02-16-2017, 08:17 AM
Yup, no serious riding to be had pre 29er 'revolution'..

The riding I've been doing for the last 2 decades from Moab to whitler wasn't supposed to be serious anyways.

I THINK the real issue with 26" is you can't get (or have limited options with) tires anymore.. I have a 26" hardtail, not worth anything, can't find the tires I like, oh well, boxed it up.

Yes, you snarky bastards, it is this. Sure lots of serious riding was done back in the day on 26" wheeled bike. I have been mountain biking since 1990, so I have had my share of 26" bikes. And if you HAVE one that you like, that is great, enjoy it to it's fullest.

But if someone is looking to buy a mountain bike to get into the sport? NO way I would recommend a 26", even it is a "good deal." It is a good deal cause they are fading out. Specific tire treads, forks, good wheels are all becoming harder to come by. It would be like buying a VCR today. Still works great, but the world has moved on.

(By the way, if anyone is interested in a VCR, I can make you a great deal.)

John H.
02-16-2017, 11:21 AM
I have owned several of them dating back to 1997-
YBB SL for V brakes
Standard YBB for V Brakes because I realized that the SL was pretty wiggly
Standard YBB for disc
Custom YBB for disc

All were 26". I thought they were a great climbing and single track bike, especially for a light rider.
But they pale in all regards except simplicity to what is available today.

sw3759
02-16-2017, 11:53 AM
never a ybb owner but a have owned a litespeed unicoi since 99'.same suspension system.always regretted not buying the moots but at the time is was half the price.not really ridden much anymore but was a nice bike but even at 150lbs it's pretty "wiggly" like the moots sl described by john h above
.would love to try a newer ybb 27.5 or 29er though

dustyrider
02-16-2017, 12:08 PM
Yes, you snarky bastards, it is this. Sure lots of serious riding was done back in the day on 26" wheeled bike. I have been mountain biking since 1990, so I have had my share of 26" bikes. And if you HAVE one that you like, that is great, enjoy it to it's fullest.

But if someone is looking to buy a mountain bike to get into the sport? NO way I would recommend a 26", even it is a "good deal." It is a good deal cause they are fading out. Specific tire treads, forks, good wheels are all becoming harder to come by. It would be like buying a VCR today. Still works great, but the world has moved on.

(By the way, if anyone is interested in a VCR, I can make you a great deal.)

But I thought the evolution of the larger wheel would usher in a new unprecedented era of choice...? Also I had a father, he just died two years ago!

dan_hudson
02-16-2017, 06:01 PM

Talking just about the YBB-part. Definitely ride it if you can! The YBB rear has a very unique ride. Personally, I'm not a fan. The suspension has a disconcertingly uncontrolled feel to me. If purchasing to ride single track, the modest travel really doesn't significantly improve control. At the time it was developed, made sense as suspension designs + related components were so primitive. Circa 2017, I think you'd be much happier performance-wise with a short travel genuine suspension setup like a Spesh Epic.

YMMV of course.

Note none of these comments are about Moots generally! I have one in the basement and it puts a big smile on my face whenever we hit the trail.

Matthew
02-16-2017, 06:32 PM
I better buy a bunch of tires now then for my 26er Rigormootis.

gdw
02-16-2017, 07:14 PM
I'd hold off on starting your hoard until somebody convinces the Europeans that 26ers are history. Chainreaction, Bike24, etc seem to have an abundance of quality tires, forks, rims, and wheels available for all the mouth breathing luddits who haven't embraced the new standards.

Matthew
02-16-2017, 07:40 PM
Yeah it was kinda tongue in cheek. I checked ebay and there were a fair amount of options available still. Not going to sweat it just yet. And there is always the classifieds here too! Somebody likely has a stash in their basement!!

Ken Robb
02-16-2017, 11:24 PM
My Hampsten Strada Bianca was built by MOOTS with YBB. It is the best bike I have ridden for high speed descents as the YBB eliminates chatter caused by the bumpy, ripply pavement that is so common in my area. I don't notice any drawback and it does take the edge off rough stuff. I can imagine that a mtn. bike with YBB might split the difference between hardtail and FS. I have a 26" FS mtn. bike and for me FS is the way to go for mtn. biking.

cadence90
02-16-2017, 11:35 PM
I have a Moots Psychlo-X (700c, not 26") with YBB that I use for commuting and off-road (flat-bar set-up). I really like it. The YBB lock-out feature is also handy.