PDA

View Full Version : OT: Subaru Geeks - Buying '07 WRX Need Advice

ecsnsmb
02-14-2017, 02:43 PM
Hey Guys,

Hoping for some opinions on a potential WRX Wagon purchase. Hoping there are some Subaru geeks in the audience.. Stats Below.

130k miles
@ 105k: Timing chain, water pump, intercooler, brakes.
New Clutch as of 300mi ago.
Bone stock, no mods.
Single owner/driver in California.
Int/Ext in good shape.
Needs tires soon.

Apparently at the 105k service, the dealership said nothing about head gaskets. From my research, I see that the non-turbo gaskets are more commonly at fault. How concerned should I be with this? There's no visual oil weeping or leaks.

Also, '07 they introduced the new emissions regulator that can do potential engine damage? I was planning to have a compression test done before purchase. And then hopefully a tune post-purchase.

The guy is asking $11k. KBB (not sure how relevant anymore) is around $7800.

What's the verdict? Thanks all for your time and help.

Cheers!

JAGI410
02-14-2017, 03:08 PM
Why the heck was the intercooler replaced? That's not a wear item unless it was punctured by something. Getting to the spark plugs is a PITA on these, if paying for the compression test, take it to a Subaru shop that could do it fairly quick. If you have an OBD scanner, or boost gauge, check boost and vacuum. If those are good I wouldn't bother with the compression test.

My 04 Subaru (Forester XT turbo 5spd) just turned 125k, no worries about head gaskets, but the passenger valve cover gasket is starting to weep. Check the passenger front axle boots, they like to tear. Besides basics like oil change and timing belt, I've only really need to fix the axle and driveshaft. It's been a great car.

Richard
02-14-2017, 03:12 PM
I would have the dealer do an oil consumption test. Subaru settled a class action suit about the oil consumption on a host of their vehicles.

donevwil
02-14-2017, 03:17 PM
Why the heck was the intercooler replaced? That's not a wear item unless it was punctured by something.....

I'm not familiar with Subarus, but have had a few turbos and I agree. There's more to the story regarding an intercooler at 105k, unless it is an issue unique to Subarus.

Also, a compression test is mandatory with any used, high'ish mileage turbo car.

ecsnsmb
02-14-2017, 03:35 PM
Thanks guys! I will ask about the intercooler. If it passes all tests with flying colors, do you think the price is reasonable?

Ralph
02-14-2017, 03:49 PM
If I were buying a 10 year old Subaru.....would prefer a non turbo model. Less likely to have been raced.

JAGI410
02-14-2017, 04:07 PM
$11k is too much if KBB is saying $7800. I'd go $8k tops, because unmolested subarus are a rarity. But stock Subaru clutches last quite a while, and they are easy on tires. I'd be concerned with why those are worn/changed. They have plenty of power stock, but that doesn't mean it wasn't beaten on. I know I drive mine plenty hard and it's fairly stock.

You mentioned tuning it, which means you probably want to increase power levels, in which case I would insist on a compression test. You want a clean bill of health before you start modding things.

thirdgenbird
02-14-2017, 04:18 PM
It's not the first time I've seen one need a clutch. I had a friend hat bought one second hand. The car was quite clean and looked well cared for but we had to put a clutch in it shortly after he bought it.

I think he eventually had a down pipe, exhaust, and tune but I don't recall him having any other trouble. He only sold it to get a legacy GT with more room.

ecsnsmb
02-14-2017, 04:27 PM
$11k is too much if KBB is saying $7800. I'd go $8k tops, because unmolested subarus are a rarity. But stock Subaru clutches last quite a while, and they are easy on tires. I'd be concerned with why those are worn/changed. They have plenty of power stock, but that doesn't mean it wasn't beaten on. I know I drive mine plenty hard and it's fairly stock.

You mentioned tuning it, which means you probably want to increase power levels, in which case I would insist on a compression test. You want a clean bill of health before you start modding things.

I'd been told that a tune would help mitigate any issues caused by the new additions of the 2007 emissions unit. It's got plenty of power for me already. My other car is an 89 Vanagon, so anything in comparison feels like a rocketship.

Thanks so much for your input and help, super valuable.

JAGI410
02-14-2017, 04:42 PM
I haven't heard of the 2007 emissions regulator thing, got a link? Chances are it's a non-issue, as it would have already killed this car. Spending $300-500 for a tune just to mitigate it might not be worth it. However the stock tune is fairly weak, and getting a pro tune will make the car more fun! Although coming from an 89 Vanagon, a Toyota Prius probably feels like a rush.

AngryScientist
02-14-2017, 04:51 PM
first off, i personally would never pay more than KBB value for a used car. KBB values are usually optimistic values for a seller to net after the sale.

i dont have my finger on the pulse of the used subie market either, but 11k sounds too high for a 10 year old car with 130k on the clock.

additionally, it initially sounds like a positive, but it's a red flag in my book to buy a used car that has had the clutch changed in the last 300 miles. that's a pretty costly job and not too many people would put the $$ into a car that they are going to immediately sell. seller may just want to get rid of it, and it may be a non issue, but cause for pause. timing chain change at 100k also sounds awfully premature...

bottom line is, i wouldnt pay that much for it personally.

JAGI410
02-14-2017, 05:10 PM
Subarus are sensitive to timing belts (interference engine), 105k is the normal interval. I did mine somewhere around then too.

At 300 miles that clutch is barely broken in. That does seem like an odd time to sell the car.

adamhell
02-14-2017, 05:17 PM
bone stock is a good sign. i had an '02 WRX. i know the 07 STi's had engine problems (ran lean from the factory) and are thought of as a bad year but I'm not sure if that issue applies to WRX's.

the hawkeyes look really good. that being said, if i could afford one with fewer miles, I would try for that. otherwise for practicality's sake I'd go non-turbo to keep cost down respective to mileage.

ecsnsmb
02-14-2017, 05:17 PM
Subarus are sensitive to timing belts (interference engine), 105k is the normal interval. I did mine somewhere around then too.

At 300 miles that clutch is barely broken in. That does seem like an odd time to sell the car.

He just got the upgrade bug apparently. Drove a buddy's 2013 and was sold. He says he just wants a new WRX with Bluetooth, etc. We've got common friends as well, seems like a trustworthy dude. I asked about the KBB value and he said he'd compromise, so I guess we'll see. Thanks again!

Ken Robb
02-14-2017, 05:26 PM
The seller WANTS top dollar PLUS so he probably knew trying to sell it with a bad clutch would kill any chance he could do that. This model car is often bought by aggressive drivers who like to use all the extra power they paid for so I would be worried about major repairs in the next 20,000 miles. I would either want to find a newer car with fewer miles or buy one under BB to allow me to budget for repairs.

Not being nosy but if a person doesn't have a cash reserve to pay for major repairs he would be better off financing a newer car hoping to avoid such repairs for a long time.

martl
02-14-2017, 05:35 PM
My Subaru dealer says some of the Turbo engines are actually more durable than the not-blown ones and that he has seen people put 400.000 km on those - no idea how this could be, but i trust the fella. He was specifically talking about non-WRX turbos, tho - dodn't ask him about such.
With the performance types such as the WRX, i think the major factor is how the users treated it. If you trust they followed the basic rules (warm up, drive, let cool down) you may be fine. It's all about trust, really.

Is there a chance you can talk to the people who did the maintenance on the car?

cheers, Martl (Forester SF Turbo)

stien
02-14-2017, 07:21 PM
Not a chance at 11k! It's not a rare car, and needing tires? Jeez.

thirdgenbird
02-14-2017, 07:26 PM
Not a chance at 11k! It's not a rare car, and needing tires? Jeez.

I agree the price sounds high. A similar mileage mk5 gti would be half the money. You loose awd, but you gain a nicer interior and what is in my opinion, a more livable car day to day.