PDA

View Full Version : Best Groad Shoe...

FlashUNC
02-13-2017, 09:59 PM
Yes, yes, I know shoes are a personal thing. But what's your recommendation for best gravel grinding (GROOOOOOAD) shoe?

Something XC from the mtn bike world? Maybe more cross oriented?

Whattya got?

DRZRM
02-13-2017, 10:33 PM
I love the Lake MX 331 cross shoe (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/lake-mx331-cross-shoes?skidn=LKC000B-ORA-S39&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6bGFrZSBzaG9lczoxOjE2Omxha2U gc2hvZXM=). It is a bit of a confusing page, I think only the orange and black ones here have the lighter, less beefy soles, but they are not pictured. They have minimal lugs, carbon soles and are pretty light, but are comfortable for walking. I also think they look great and they are on a good sale. You can screw out the metal teeth at the front and replace with regular plastic cleats to save your hardwood floors.

I also think they can be heated and shaped for a custom fit.

http://content.competitivecyclist.com/images/items/1200/LKC/LKC000B/ORA.jpg

eBAUMANN
02-13-2017, 10:41 PM
giro vr90's have been pretty good to me

pdmtong
02-13-2017, 10:42 PM
I think the way to go for GROAD is a s-works XC shoe...these are meant for XC racing so they are light like road shoes and just as stiff.

expensive but fantastic for the application. only downside for dirt is not much armor (which is not really needed for XC).

if you can fit a 44.0 I have a pair of s-works single BOA I could motivate to sell. not much GROAD down here for me and I am more into an mtb shoe I can thrash on without remorse since plenty of thrashing in rock and bushes.

KonaSS
02-14-2017, 08:13 AM
Honestly, if you have a certain brand of road shoe that works really well for you, the first thing I would do is look at that brand's XC shoe. Seems many XC shoes these days are built the same as the road shoe with some tread attached to the bottom. That is the way my Specialized's are. If it ain't broke.....

happycampyer
02-14-2017, 08:30 AM
Unless the ride involves a lot of off-the-bike time (like D2R2, with rest stops, lunch, etc.) or is technical enough that I'd expect to get off the bike and walk, I just wear my road shoes. For my "all-road" riding where I need mtb shoes, I do as KonaSS suggests--I wear the same brand mtb shoes as my road shoes (Sidi).

commonguy001
02-14-2017, 08:45 AM
I have the Lake CX331 cross shoes and they're pretty awesome. Fit and feel of a good stiff road shoe but with some tread to walk on.

sparky33
02-14-2017, 09:13 AM
I think the way to go for GROAD is a s-works XC shoe...these are meant for XC racing so they are light like road shoes and just as stiff.

Exactly wrt S-Works shoes, stiff like road shoes but still walkable. They also fit my feet perfectly which is what matters most.

I've got a pair of Lake MX237 also. They feel leathery (more supple than the s-works) and stiff-soled - they would be perfect if the sizing wasn't slightly off for me. Great shoes.

guido
02-14-2017, 09:24 AM
I'm a huge fan of Lake MX-237s. Perfect fit. Great power transfer, very walk-able. No hotspots or weirdness on long rides. The black ones look quite normal. They are my everything shoes: road, gravel, Mtn.

sandyrs
02-14-2017, 09:29 AM
giro vr90's have been pretty good to me

Same and not coincidentally, I wear Empires on the road.

weisan
02-14-2017, 09:36 AM
http://alicehui.com/bike/sagan/sagan.jpg

old fat man
02-14-2017, 09:42 AM
Same and not coincidentally, I wear Empires on the road.

Same same. VR90 is a nice choice if you're ok with laces. Plenty stiff, and great traction when you do walk around (in a store, house, etc).

Mzilliox
02-14-2017, 09:42 AM
oops, doubled

Mzilliox
02-14-2017, 09:43 AM
I love the Lake MX 331 cross shoe (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/lake-mx331-cross-shoes?skidn=LKC000B-ORA-S39&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6bGFrZSBzaG9lczoxOjE2Omxha2U gc2hvZXM=). It is a bit of a confusing page, I think only the orange and black ones here have the lighter, less beefy soles, but they are not pictured. They have minimal lugs, carbon soles and are pretty light, but are comfortable for walking. I also think they look great and they are on a good sale. You can screw out the metal teeth at the front and replace with regular plastic cleats to save your hardwood floors.

I also think they can be heated and shaped for a custom fit.

http://content.competitivecyclist.com/images/items/1200/LKC/LKC000B/ORA.jpg

same here, paired with candy pedals, but sometimes my normal road stuff goes a little nuts and goes on gravel.:help:

kevinvc
02-14-2017, 10:19 AM
I've switched to platform pedals and then wear whatever shoes make the most sense for the weather and route. I got some Spank pedals when they were on sale for my commuter bike. I liked them so much I use them for most of my gravel and trail riding as well. It's nice to be able to hop off the bike and explore an interesting side path if I feel like it. I also appreciate being able to put a foot down in an instant if I get into trouble.

If I was just going to be doing hardpack or something non-technical I could imagine wanting a basic xc shoe, especially if it's a lot of miles or involves a lot of climbing.

eBAUMANN
02-14-2017, 10:27 AM
i will say this about the only pair of lake shoes Ive ridden (mx237's - to montreal from boston in 3 days) - they destroyed the IT bands in my knees due to cleat placement/lack of adjustability.

prior to this, I had ZERO fit related or cleat related biomechanical issues on the bike.

they might work for some, but they VERY seriously did not work for me.

gdw
02-14-2017, 10:47 AM
The Lakes I've owned have the standard two slots for mounting the cleats just like everyone else uses...how are the mx237 different? Is the sole canted slightly on that model?

John H.
02-14-2017, 11:03 AM
What kind of pedals will you be using?

1.) For SPD it is tough to beat the Shimano XC90. Super stiff, has some tread, mates well with SPD pedals.
2.) For Look, Shimano, etc.- My fav is an old set of road shoes. I have a hammered set of Bont shoes that I don't really care about. I often use them on cross bike rides. Especially if I am doing a decent amount on the road and I don't think I will be clipping out in the mud.

If you are doing Houston's rides go for the mtb option. He likes the mud and tends to ride right through it. He has been doing rides of late in areas where I won't even go this time of year.

tylercheung
02-14-2017, 12:02 PM
Are there good starter shoes for a cycling newbie who isn't used to the road shoes and is < $200 or < $100?

eBAUMANN
02-14-2017, 12:20 PM
The Lakes I've owned have the standard two slots for mounting the cleats just like everyone else uses...how are the mx237 different? Is the sole canted slightly on that model?

Yes, but its WHERE those 2 slots are located that make all the difference.

I know of at least one lake sponsored pro rider who routinely takes a dremel to the sole of their shoe in order to get the cleats located in the right orientation.

Again, this might not be an issue for everyone but it was a HUGE issue for me (having never had an issue with any shoe before, ever) so I feel compelled to say SOMETHING.

dem
02-14-2017, 12:28 PM
I use the CX237/MX237 combo too, and I set up my MX237 exactly the same as my CX237. I have a jig built out of a plastic caliper plus a laser level to place my cleats relative to the center line of the pedal axle. I'm confident I'm within a mm or so.

I would say the MX237 does not seem to have as much rearward adjustment as "true" mountain bike shoes. I could see that being an issue for some people, but I have opted to match my road position.

eBAUMANN
02-14-2017, 12:30 PM
I use the CX237/MX237 combo too, and I set up my MX237 exactly the same as my CX237. I have a jig built out of a plastic caliper plus a laser level to place my cleats relative to the center line of the pedal axle. I'm confident I'm within a mm or so.

I would say the MX237 does not seem to have as much rearward adjustment as "true" mountain bike shoes. I could see that being an issue for some people, but I have opted to match my road position.

my issue is with toe in/out alignment, the lakes had me pedaling at a foot angle that caused extreme irritation of my IT band over the side of my knee bones...it was absolute torture.

went back to vr90s, no issues.

just my experience.

Hilltopperny
02-14-2017, 01:03 PM
I use fizik m3 shoes for gravel and winter road riding for the walkability and fit.

colker
02-14-2017, 01:04 PM
vans and platform pedals.

FlashUNC
02-14-2017, 01:48 PM
What kind of pedals will you be using?

1.) For SPD it is tough to beat the Shimano XC90. Super stiff, has some tread, mates well with SPD pedals.
2.) For Look, Shimano, etc.- My fav is an old set of road shoes. I have a hammered set of Bont shoes that I don't really care about. I often use them on cross bike rides. Especially if I am doing a decent amount on the road and I don't think I will be clipping out in the mud.

If you are doing Houston's rides go for the mtb option. He likes the mud and tends to ride right through it. He has been doing rides of late in areas where I won't even go this time of year.

Time ATACs.

Houston's going to drag my butt around Marin, though I've seen his idea of epic adventures driving support for Reno2Cino. I'm never going to tackle something that nuts.

cinco
02-14-2017, 02:04 PM
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/diadora-x-vortex-pro-shoes/rp-prod156200

I just bought a pair of these in blue. Love Them! Best mtb shoe evah! Delivered to the us for $109. !!

Andy in Houston.

02-14-2017, 02:04 PM
Lake had a few cross and MTB shoes made (all are made offshore) that had the slots misaligned. That might be what a couple people are referring to. For the most part, there's no problem -- or one would have a problem with any stock SPD shoe.

John H.
02-14-2017, 04:14 PM
What is your favorite road shoe?
Most companies have a parallel mtb shoe that will fit the bill-
Stick with what you know-

Time ATACs.

Houston's going to drag my butt around Marin, though I've seen his idea of epic adventures driving support for Reno2Cino. I'm never going to tackle something that nuts.

thirdgenbird
02-14-2017, 04:21 PM
If I know I will be doing some walking around, I use a terraduo. If I won't be walking, I just use a road shoe.

2metalhips
02-14-2017, 04:41 PM
I've used 2 pairs of Spec xc shoes, an older pair with a nylon sole and another with a carbon sole. Any rides over 3 hours I prefer the older softer sole, more comfort. I had the velcro straps replaced by a cobbler.

choke
02-14-2017, 04:59 PM
I would say find the MTB version of what you ride on the road since the fit should be similar. I use Fizik M1s.

guido
02-14-2017, 05:48 PM
I think choosing to ride 3 days in the mountains of vermont in brand new shoes speaks for itself.

eBAUMANN
02-14-2017, 06:30 PM
I think choosing to ride 3 days in the mountains of vermont in brand new shoes speaks for itself.

Not exactly sure what youre suggesting but, yes, in hindsight, it was a bad decision to trust unproven footwear, but I have ridden 12 days straight (every day) in the ALPS, all day, brand new empire SLX's with ZERO issues.
I had (prior to this) not a single physiological issue on the bike, nothing, zero.
All of my bikes are setup different, my body is not picky, it can and does adapt.

The shoes were my undoing.

I have ridden shoes from mavic, shimano, giro/rapha without a single issue or second thought about cleat placement or alignment.

Lake, on the other hand, something was different.
That something led to SERIOUS issues.
Which is all im trying to say.
Something was screwy there that wasnt screwy with the other shoes ive ridden, and that something is worth mentioning IMO.

Im not trying to damn lake, I like them as a company, I think they make a great shoe, they work for lots of friends...just not for everyone.

Ronsonic
02-14-2017, 06:42 PM
Are there good starter shoes for a cycling newbie who isn't used to the road shoes and is < $200 or < $100?

Used stuff, buy it here. Try it and if you don't like it, flip it for the same money. $200 can buy like 4 pairs around here. If you find something you really like or so close to it that you can buy with confidence then you can shop for a new pair.

adub
02-14-2017, 07:12 PM
Giro Terraduro

guido
02-14-2017, 07:41 PM
Pre-testing your gear before any ride over 2 hours is the difference between a friendly side note that they didn't work for you and 3 days of hell for you and multiple posts claiming they did you injury.

FlashUNC
02-14-2017, 11:41 PM
Thanks all, giving the Lakes a shot since they're a decent deal right now. Also, kangaroo leather.

Here's hoping they don't cripple me.

GScot
02-15-2017, 09:52 AM
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/diadora-x-vortex-pro-shoes/rp-prod156200

I just bought a pair of these in blue. Love Them! Best mtb shoe evah! Delivered to the us for $109. !!

Andy in Houston.

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't looking for shoes but had a couple of pair of Diadoras in the past that fit and worked great. I've been on Northwave and then Shimano since then but I could use a second set of gravel shoes anyway. Hope they still fit the same. I should know in about a week.

zennmotion
02-15-2017, 09:58 AM

Giro Territory, no longer in their current list but still available online. Great "touring" shoe- ie you can walk across nice floors in them and they ride well and easy clip in with Shimano spd or Crank Bros. pedals. Plus they're plain black, no gigolo or clown colors, tastes vary but black is the new black. Shop around for your size, they're showing up as closeouts for < $100 (Nashbar for medium-larger sizes, other sites for smaller) These have been my go-to shoes for long road rides for a couple of years now, especially where unfamiliar mixed terrain may involve getting off the bike. (I have a box full of expensive road and mtb. shoes, but these are just right despite the modest price). Replaceable lug pieces on the soles, compatible with other (current) Giro models. My road shoes are mostly abandoned, because not everything that walks like a duck is actually a duck.

wpod
02-15-2017, 03:21 PM
Liking my Mavic Fury's quite a bit. Excellent fit( switched rom Ergo2's ), very stiff and seem super durable. Clean up nicely, though frankly prefer the black to the yellow version.

owly
02-15-2017, 03:51 PM
Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro.

Fit my rather flat/wide-front foot well.

Really like them when using flat pedals.

Great for walking around in.

572cv
02-15-2017, 04:25 PM
Lots of good info in this thread, and a few important caveats. I'll just talk about my own decisions. I ride Sidi Dominators for all conditions, on a Time ATAC pedal. Being able to walk easily in the shoes is useful enough to me to want to have that full time. The shoes have custom foot beds, which really give me a good platform. That is important to me. The ATACs have great float, which is important to my knees. This last is critical for me, and the reason I have not shifted out to another set up which might be lighter or snappier looking or any of a number of good reasons to ride a particular set up. First, do no harm, as they say. Each of us is different in tolerances, but I would think that in trying anything new, break it in gently and listen to your legs, i.e. don't tell them to shut up!

casparwhittey
02-15-2017, 05:08 PM
I used a pair of Pearl's X-Project 2.0 shoes last cross season, and have done some gravel riding on them. Like them a lot. Not too narrow, they have removable cleated lugs for the toe, and the upper doesn't get heavy and waterlogged in the rain/mud. Would recommend.

DRZRM
02-17-2017, 08:30 AM
One other "recommendation" for folks looking for this type shoe. Though I've had difficulty with Shimano MTB shoes in the past (toughness lacking, tore off a sole riding CX) I've heard good things about the XC-90 and they are pretty light. Would probably be great of gravel road, though maybe still too delicate for for CX use. Great deal!!

Shimano XC-90 at CC (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/shimano-sh-xc90-shoes-mens?CMP_SKU=SHI001Y&MER=0406&CSPID=0912&utm_source=Criteo&utm_medium=Display&CMP_ID=DM_CRT012b_LTV_B&mv_pc=r350&mr:referralID=9c9f23e7-e2ac-11e6-b623-005056947d48#)

http://content.competitivecyclist.com/images/items/large/SHI/SHI001Y/BL.jpg

Sparshall
02-17-2017, 07:26 PM
If you like buckets and/or BOA, then Pearl Izumi Project-X.
If you like laces, Spesh Mixed Recon.

Both are good looking (IMO), stuff yet easy to walk in.