PDA

View Full Version : Any 6' 9" rider looking for a bike?

kevinvc
02-13-2017, 04:29 PM
This is a cool story (https://bikeportland.org/2017/02/09/this-spirit-of-77-dream-bike-is-awaiting-a-tall-trail-blazers-player-217142)of a local bike shop that built up a Ti Seven Evergreen just in case any of the Portland Trailblazers decides to walk in and do some shopping.

There are some cool little touches, like using a bar wrap that is the same leather as an NBA basketball.

There's actually quite a history of Blazers players who are into biking, most famously Bill Walton who is still an avid cyclist. One of our current stars is known for occasionally using the local bikeshare to get around town.

I know that Portland often seems like a self-perpetuating stereotype, but bike culture is real around here, and I think that's pretty cool.

timnem70
02-13-2017, 08:37 PM
I rode with The Ginger snap in Downtown Denver... had to be 2005 or 06. He was broadcasting a game. Saw a giant clipping in out front of a hotel on 15th Street, said Hello and rode around showing him the city.

Galaxy S7 Edge

sandyrs
02-13-2017, 08:40 PM
I like it! Pretty solid design for such a large frame.

bpiecuch
02-14-2017, 08:43 AM
Well, that's the 2nd biggest frame I've ever seen.

That story above references Bill Walton, and his love of bicycles. I happened to meet up with Bill Walton on a ride through CT about 10 years ago. A friend and I were waiting at a Ferry crossing, and down the road comes this awkward fury of legs and arms. He rolls up along side of us and stops to wait.

His bike is a frankenbike. The frame is huge! The top tube comes up to my waist, the saddle is at my chest. I doubt I could have even mounted the thing. His pedals are shimmed with thick plates, top and bottom, to adapt to his leg length discrepancy. The handlebars and brake hoods are as wide as a bull's horns. The saddle bag was probably the size of an overnight bag, but looked just right on his frame...

I look up at all 7 feet of him and ask, "What are you doing here?" He's in town with ESPN, covering the NBA finals. We chat about Kobe vs Duncan and make some small talk. My buddy, who has no idea who Bill is, asks "How much did it cost to ship your bike to CT?" Bill and I both chuckle...

After the quick ferry ride, he pulls over to take a call and we ride off. My friend finally asks, "Is he a friend of yours?" He had never heard of the Hall of Fame Basketball player, Bill Walton...

kevinvc
02-14-2017, 10:30 AM
They say this bike is built for someone around 6' 9". A few years ago, a local builder made a custom 29er for a 7' 1" Blazers player. I went back and looked at the story about it. (https://bikeportland.org/2010/10/19/portland-trail-blazer-joel-pryzbillas-new-bike-slideshow-41177) Here are some of the specs:

Top tube length – 68 cm
Fork steerer tube (special order from White Bros.) – 20 in
Center of bottom bracket to top tube – 76 cm
Head tube – 25 cm

I would imagine the resale market for something like this would be... limited. :p