PDA

View Full Version : Heat Moldable Insoles - what do you use ?

Brian Cdn
02-13-2017, 01:49 PM
Was thinking about getting some different heat moldable insoles that could be semi-customized instead of going the orthotic route.

I did try the a pair of Bontrager inForm Heat Moldable insoles and found that there was no metatarsal support.

Was wondering what is the preferred insole used out there ?

batman1425
02-13-2017, 02:14 PM
Was thinking about getting some different heat moldable insoles that could be semi-customized instead of going the orthotic route.

I did try the a pair of Bontrager inForm Heat Moldable insoles and found that there was no metatarsal support.

Was wondering what is the preferred insole used out there ?

My Shimano r320's came stock with heat moldable insoles. Three different arch inserts and a met pad. I like them a lot, and you can find for sale separate from the shoes.

Not heat moldable - but fit guru Steve Hogg has a lot of good stuff to say about these: http://g8performance.com.au/products/pro-series-2620

Alan
02-13-2017, 03:08 PM
I read this and bought some Icebug insoles and they are very good and I have tried many options including custom orthotics, heat moldable, and Specilaized. The Icebug insoles are very good and have 2 thicknesses and 3 different arch sizes.

http://biketestreviews.com/the-best-cycling-specific-insole-part-ii/

Alan

OtayBW
02-13-2017, 03:19 PM
Lake 'Raven 0.3 Carbon Fiber'. Worked pretty well for me....

Ronsonic
02-13-2017, 10:52 PM
Does anyone here have experience with the Giro adjustable insoles?

A little OT, sorry.

Was curious to give them a shot.

kramnnim
02-13-2017, 11:18 PM
These- https://secure.yoursole.com/us/mens/footbeds

macaroon
02-14-2017, 07:23 AM
Ive used Lake heat moldable insoles (these were rubbish)

I've also had Sidas insoles professionally molded; these were ok but did not offer enough support.

Best ones IME are the Esoles EFit adjustable insoles. They also come with metatarsal pads if you need them.

I've used the Archtech G8 insoles aswell; these were good but seemed to take up alot of volume in the shoe, particularly at the heel.

If you're buying either of the above, it's better to size down slightly IME, i.e. if you need them to fit a size 45 shoe, go for a size 44/45/46 rather than a 45/46/47 if that makes sense.

Does anyone here have experience with the Giro adjustable insoles?

A little OT, sorry.

Was curious to give them a shot.

Yes. Not as good as the options I mentioned above.

benb
02-14-2017, 08:08 AM
At that price I'm going to have to try those Bontragers. I've got a pair of orthotics (cycle soles) but I can't get another pair as the dealer stopped making them.

I personally am ambivalent about the metatarsal "bump" in cycling shoes. I like it in my walking/running shoes but for cycling I feel like it can restrict movement of the bones and increases my chance of getting numb feet as it takes up extra room in the shoe.

FlashUNC
02-14-2017, 10:01 AM
Had good luck with Sole insoles.

Formulasaab
02-14-2017, 10:39 AM
I've been using the Fizik ones, but I gather they've been discontinued?

I think I saw something that said they were a collaboration with Sidas, so maybe that's where I will go next. It does look like you can still find old stock online though.

One way or another, I will need them. Without them, most cycling shoes are intolerable even for short times. When I bought my SIDI Dominators, I would begin to experience foot pain (ball of foot) within 10 minutes and within another 10 minutes had significant numbness. 30 minutes was intolerable. I thought I was going to have to eat the cost of the shoes and buy something else! After adding the Fizik heat mold-able insoles, I can ride for hours without pain. :hello:

ultraman6970
02-14-2017, 11:01 AM
Ultra got a set of lake and they rock, not the carbon but the plastic fiber one.

I have used sole and they work pretty well but havent used them in cycling.

I put my eye in a set of hockey moudable insoles brand bauer speed plates, I went to my local hockey stores and they insoles look awesome. Asked time ago here and nobody looks like ever used. Nasty looking insoles. Waiting for a set at ebay to come for the right price. Look at youtube for videos and reviews, people loves them.

batman1425
02-14-2017, 12:54 PM
I've used the Archtech G8 insoles aswell; these were good but seemed to take up alot of volume in the shoe, particularly at the heel.

I've heard this about the G8's as well. I tried the Esoles and they weren't as voluminous and have nice adjustability/customization. IMO the heat molding is less important than proper arch/met support/placement.