PDA

View Full Version : Rider positions

Birddog
04-10-2004, 08:59 AM
I was just looking at the shots of the two riders on the Serotta front page, (Postal Master and Sierra Nevada), and it occurred to me that the Sierra Nevada guy is waaaaaay low, so low in fact as to not be tooo aero (IMO). It appears as though he has about a 6 inch drop from seat to bars, and that slight dip behind his helmet results in less than a flat back. DBRK, I'm sure, would be aghast about so much seatpost showing, but that's probably a compact frame, although not too much slope from the looks of it. Anyway, he looks a little too folded up to me (notice the knee and arm overlap), but I'm not passing judgement on his particular preferred position, that's up to him.

The postal guy, OTOH, looks a little more comfortable to my eye, less drop, and a fairly flat back. Both riders are on the drops, and it illustrates, just how much difference there is in how we "fit" a bike. I would think that some of the Serotta "fitters" would have some suggestions for the Sierra Nevada fellow. Maybe it's just that at my age I identify with the Masters. Your thoughts?

Birddog

RDP
04-10-2004, 10:36 AM
The Sierra Nevada rider does not seem unusually low because he is purposefully crouched down for a downhill flyer. His deep arm bend looks appropriate (assuming he is descending at high speed). This is probably not his 'normal' position on the flat. He is also quite forward in the saddle which is common when riders mimic a super-g like position when flying downhill.

-R

Russ
04-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Hey Bird,

The first thing that came to my mind when I reviwed these pictures was the riders age.... Remember, these are the "master" USPS Cycling team. The SN guys are all younger riders in comparison.

I think the USPS rider seems to be the one descending, but what a bad position! I mean, why would you want to be descending and stand so high on your bike? He is like a parachute, IMO, not aero at all.... This rider also looks a lot heavier and more "unfit" to his bike. It's like he is too big for that bike.

I also agree with RDP as far as the SN rider being in a "pose" for this picture. I would doubt if this would be his "normal" riding position. However, I do not see him ready to go downhill, I see him more like hammering on the flats... Sometimes when I am pushing hard on the flat roads around here, I get into a similar position: I move a bit forward on the saddle and pull on the bars towards my chest.

Orin
04-10-2004, 12:28 PM
The SN rider's left leg is locked straight - looks like he's in a turn to the right to me. I don't see him hammering - no muscle definition in his arms unlike the USPS rider's right arm...

Orin.

Matt Barkley
04-10-2004, 08:33 PM
These guys looks great. Both of em'. Sierra Nevada dude looks fast, Postal Guy looks like a body builder hammer-dawg'.

zap
04-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Looks like the Postal guy needs to stretch out more. Check out some of the euro pro's for better cycling (racing) positions. Saddle to bar drop of 8 - 10 cm is not that unusual.

Core fitness is important in order to maintain an aero position for any length of time.