PDA

View Full Version : fork recommendation

onsight512
02-12-2017, 05:23 PM
I have a Kogswell PR (2nd gen) that I use for commuting. When it's loaded (lots of weight front & rear) it handles fine. When I don't have any appreciable weight on the front I can't take my hands off the bars. Shimmy, shake, wobble, and so on.

The fork (45mm offset) that came with the frame if from a Surly LHT. Axle to crown measures 376mm. I don't know the spec on what would have been the original fork to the frame. The PR came with a choice of three different forks (different rakes).

Where should I begin? Try a fork with less rake than the Surly's to increase the trail thereby adding stability into the equation?

If that is the answer, then I'd be looking for a fork that had rack (including mid) and fender mounts. I've 42mm tires on and fenders that cover them, so the fork would also need lots of clearance.

Any ideas on the best course of action?

CMiller
02-12-2017, 05:48 PM
I imagine with the LHT fork it is already pretty high trail. The rake is 45mm, not sure there are many touring forks with enough less rake to feel different from that

weisan
02-12-2017, 06:59 PM
When I don't have any appreciable weight on the front I can't take my hands off the bars. Shimmy, shake, wobble, and so on.

Are you using a relatively short stem and is your handlebar pretty high up?

onsight512
02-12-2017, 07:09 PM
Are you using a relatively short stem and is your handlebar pretty high up?

Yes. 9cm stem (+6, I think). Saddle to bar drop is only about 1.5cm.