PDA

View Full Version : Warm Tights

scottaharper
02-12-2017, 05:11 PM
I am looking for a recommendation for a warm set of tights for my wife. By age 59 she has been through more than her share of surgeries (2 brain aneurysms, ACL replacement, rotor cuff, and most recently hip replacement from a bike accident). It seems like each of the surgeries has left her getting cold more easily. To her credit, she has not let all the problems keep her off the bike. But even in sunny California she gets cold with normal tights on winter rides. Her favorite tights are a pair of Assos S4 generation wind block tights, but these are beginning to show their age and I am looking for something to replace them. She has been riding long enough to have firm opinions on what she likes: they must have bibs and stirrups, and she does not want to wear short under her tights so they must have a nice pad. She has also found that she prefers small mens tights rather than women's. I am hoping that those of you in colder climates will be able to point me to brands and models that might make her happy. Happy wife, happy life.

Mzilliox
02-12-2017, 05:16 PM
you won't do any better than another pair of assos. especially with pad in. sounds like you need something with wind block primarily. or she can wear leg warmers over tights?

I wear cafe du cycliste tights primarily, but they are padless. the only set i like with a pad has been assos climarange winter tights LL.716.6

good luck

rwsaunders
02-12-2017, 05:28 PM
I would think that there are more, but Assos and Boure are the only folks that I know that fab tights with stirrups. The Assos site usually has good deals on women's kit and the folks at Boure are great to deal with.

https://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/women/knickers-tights

http://www.boure.com/tightswomen.html.

buddybikes
02-12-2017, 05:32 PM
Not exactly tights, but my wife (and I) live in Sporthill with 3SP fabric, they make from loose to tight fit - great for cold rides or snowshoe/xc

Oops missed the pad mention, but still these are great all purpose pants

timnem70
02-12-2017, 07:25 PM
A pair of Pearl Izumi P.R.O bib tights $200 with your own favorite bibs over. Superior wind protection and comfort
I don't work for them although I do live in Colorado and P.I is the measure. Assos are indeed top dog but at around 400 bux for their top tier, (sounds like you're looking for quality) it's way out of most folks budget. But, if that no concern and you in California, the winter you speak of is mild and you'll only wear them a few times a year, therefore, both I mentioned may be overkill.
Good luck. Anyrhing to get her back on the bike☺

Galaxy S7 Edge

timnem70
02-12-2017, 07:26 PM
I've never seen the Assos factory store. Go with those, thems gooood prices mate.

Galaxy S7 Edge

KonaSS
02-12-2017, 07:59 PM
Pearl Izumi AmFib tights. Seriously warm. I will only wear them in the coldest conditions (20 or below) or I overheat.

timnem70
02-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Pearl Izumi AmFib tights. Seriously warm. I will only wear them in the coldest conditions (20 or below) or I overheat.
So true. Most if not all manufacturers have the Ratings on the product itself.

Galaxy S7 Edge

shovelhd
02-12-2017, 08:08 PM
My Sugoi RS Sub Zero tights have stirrups. They are very warm, though. I can't imagine wearing them in SoCal.

dem
02-12-2017, 08:38 PM
Second the Pearl Izumi Amfibs, they have stirrups too.

Personally I wear them when the majority of my ride will be 30-49, with maybe a brief period in 50-60. But many others also think they're too warm.. so.. YMMV

sandyrs
02-12-2017, 09:09 PM
you won't do any better than another pair of assos. especially with pad in. sounds like you need something with wind block primarily. or she can wear leg warmers over tights?

I wear cafe du cycliste tights primarily, but they are padless. the only set i like with a pad has been assos climarange winter tights LL.716.6

good luck

The cafe du cyclists tights are great. I also like them padless but they do make a version with a pad.

teleguy57
02-12-2017, 09:24 PM
My nod is for the PI AmFibs as well. Definitely warm; mine are paddless so I wear bibs underneath. When it hits the freezing mark I can go w/shorts vs bib knicks underneath.

Great-fitting stirrups plus a nice gaiter that covers the top of the shoe.

I live in WI so wear these quite a bit given our temps. When it gets to 40F and above they are almost too warm.... The big win for me is cold/wet where they do a great job.

berserk87
02-13-2017, 04:17 PM
Scott - PM me - I may have something for you - Mike