PDA

View Full Version : Paris-Roubaix tire choice

slinkywizard
02-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Greeting to all,

I'm planning to partake in the challenge paris roubaix this year. Following the route the pro's do, but minus the first 50 or so km stretch. Has anyone here ever done this route? I'm leaning towards running veloflex Vlaanderen (27 mm) on my campagnolo neutron's. Currently running veloflex roubaix (25 mm) which have ample clearance on my 2008 record brakes and reynolds ouzo pro fork. What is to be expected about the clearance of the Vlaanderen's?

cheers

rwsaunders
02-12-2017, 07:49 PM
Check with joosttx...pretty sure he's participated in this ride.

everbeek
02-12-2017, 08:06 PM
Greeting to all,

I'm planning to partake in the challenge paris roubaix this year. Following the route the pro's do, but minus the first 50 or so km stretch. Has anyone here ever done this route? I'm leaning towards running veloflex Vlaanderen (27 mm) on my campagnolo neutron's. Currently running veloflex roubaix (25 mm) which have ample clearance on my 2008 record brakes and reynolds ouzo pro fork. What is to be expected about the clearance of the Vlaanderen's?

cheers
I've done the route 6 times with mid-2000s Record brakes. Where the brake bridge is placed is important as far as clearance and fit goes but I have plenty of room on FMB Paris-Roubaix 27 mm (measure 29 mm) and Vittoria Special Pave 27 mm (measure true) tires. My Vlaanderens measure a hair under 27 mm and are sufficient for the course. I am over 100 kg and would run Vlaanderens at 75-80 psi (the fat FMBs were perfect for me at 69f/73r and are the best tires I have ever used in Flanders or France). I'll be back in 2018. Have fun. Nowhere close to my hardest days on the bike but easily the most memorable.
-Mike

slinkywizard
02-19-2017, 07:01 AM
I've done the route 6 times with mid-2000s Record brakes. Where the brake bridge is placed is important as far as clearance and fit goes but I have plenty of room on FMB Paris-Roubaix 27 mm (measure 29 mm) and Vittoria Special Pave 27 mm (measure true) tires. My Vlaanderens measure a hair under 27 mm and are sufficient for the course. I am over 100 kg and would run Vlaanderens at 75-80 psi (the fat FMBs were perfect for me at 69f/73r and are the best tires I have ever used in Flanders or France). I'll be back in 2018. Have fun. Nowhere close to my hardest days on the bike but easily the most memorable.
-Mike

Thanks...I'll go for the Vlaanderen's then...

cnighbor1
02-19-2017, 03:55 PM
I did find on the web inserts for the front fork drop outs that lowered the wheel in the slot so more clearance provided at the fork crown for the top of the tire

joosttx
02-20-2017, 05:46 AM
I rode tubular, 27mm width. I cannot remember the brand. This seemed to work and keep the vibe of PR. Enjoy yourself. My experience was incredible.

ldamelio
02-20-2017, 06:08 AM
I was on a rented bike (the current Bianchi 'endurance' frame, whatever it's called) on 28 clinchers at 70 psi (170 lb rider) on Fulcrum wheels (narrow rim). All worked fine. Had I ridden my own stuff, would have been 28 tubulars on wider rims or 28 mm Vittoria Corsa clinchers with latex tubes on wider rims. I saw folks do OK on 25's. I think anything in the 25 - 30 mm range is fine, don't overthink it. More important to pick the right lines on the crown of the pave' or in the gutter than it is to pick tire choice to the exact millimeter.

PS - it is a great ride; one of the best things you will ever do on a bike, and not as hard as one would think if you have any cross/MTB experience. The jarring on your hands is harder than the bike handling- prepare for that with the right gloves, padded tape, etc.

colker
02-20-2017, 07:38 AM
I rode tubular, 27mm width. I cannot remember the brand. This seemed to work and keep the vibe of PR. Enjoy yourself. My experience was incredible.

Never been but can imagine the adrenaline rush when entering the Arenberg Forest..

joosttx
02-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Never been but can imagine the adrenaline rush when entering the Arenberg Forest..

I entered it is a rain storm. I was with a group and basically was blinded by the water spraying in my face . Then I sensed something, a tension in the group, I asked this guy is if it was arenberg approaches - it felt like it was approaching us. He said yes. Some slow down some speedup before hit the forest. I sped up and then boom The long stretch of cobbles. It was like riding on ice. Carnage all around. I was slowed up midway through by riders ahead. It was too slick to change lines and go around them.

colker
02-20-2017, 11:40 AM
I entered it is a rain storm. I was with a group and basically was blinded by the water spraying in my face . Then I sensed something, a tension in the group, I asked this guy is if it was arenberg approaches - it felt like it was approaching us. He said yes. Some slow down some speedup before hit the forest. I sped up and then boom The long stretch of cobbles. It was like riding on ice. Carnage all around. I was slowed up midway through by riders ahead. It was too slick to change lines and go around them.

it´s an emotional rush. The landscape is dream like w/ those naked trees and the place is iconic, like a character you will meet.