PDA

View Full Version : OT - Mobile view?

smontanaro
02-12-2017, 09:46 AM
I just dumped Tapatalk (one more purveyor of ads, one more source of problems). Is there a mobile view of the forum I can use when reading on my phone?

dustyrider
02-12-2017, 11:07 AM
I always use safari on my iPhone. I like to turn my phone sideways the forum lays out quite nicely with the ads at the top. All the kids these days get a kick out me turning my phone sideways. Guess it's a sign of old age or something?
Tapatalk seemed overly complicated.

Ray
02-12-2017, 11:08 AM
I just dumped Tapatalk (one more purveyor of ads, one more source of problems). Is there a mobile view of the forum I can use when reading on my phone?

How big is your phone? On an iPhone 6+, I just use regular web view and it's fine. On a small phone, though, I think it would be problematic...

-Ray

Hilltopperny
02-12-2017, 11:46 AM
I just search the pace line on Google and go the old school setup instead of tapatalk if I'm not adding photos. For some reason I can share photos through tapatalk from my phone that I'm unable to do on the regular site.

Lewis Moon
02-12-2017, 11:53 AM
I just use the regular site, turn my phone sideways and increase the size.
And yes, Tapatalk is about as horridly useless as any app I've ever used. I have no idea how some people can stand it. Do they pay US to carry this site?

ceolwulf
02-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Tapatalk used to be really good and has steadily gotten worse with every single update. Just about unusable now.

smontanaro
02-12-2017, 12:19 PM
I can peck away with the regular site. I asked in part because I know bikeforums.net has a mobile view (and doesn't support Tapatalk). I figured it would be a simple matter of CSS.

I have a fairly large phone (HTC One M8), so I can get by with the full site. There's just a lot of wasted space, mostly wide margins, editing buttons, and needless smiley tables. Also, at the moment I happen to be living the rascal life (confirmed by Lou Deeter) in Mexico for a week where the connections aren't as fast or reliable. Feel free to call me a spoiled whiny American. :)

Not a big deal.

mwynne
02-12-2017, 02:59 PM
I can peck away with the regular site. I asked in part because I know bikeforums.net has a mobile view (and doesn't support Tapatalk). I figured it would be a simple matter of CSS.

I have a fairly large phone (HTC One M8), so I can get by with the full site. There's just a lot of wasted space, mostly wide margins, editing buttons, and needless smiley tables. Also, at the moment I happen to be living the rascal life (confirmed by Lou Deeter) in Mexico for a week where the connections aren't as fast or reliable. Feel free to call me a spoiled whiny American. :)

Not a big deal.
Man I wish good responsive design was as easy as some CSS....

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

gallant
02-12-2017, 06:29 PM
Has anyone tried out Tapatalk Pro? Supposed to be better and ad free. But costs a few $. Tapatalk Pro by Tapatalk
https://appsto.re/us/i8r4I.i

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
02-13-2017, 05:32 AM
I always use safari on my iPhone. I like to turn my phone sideways the forum lays out quite nicely with the ads at the top. All the kids these days get a kick out me turning my phone sideways. Guess it's a sign of old age or something?
Tapatalk seemed overly complicated.

Me too. I never saw a need for a 'mobile specific' app for this and other forums.

iphone 6

hollowgram5
05-20-2017, 12:20 PM
I may be different but I prefer taptalk on my phone. It also allowed me to continue to view threads at work when connected to their internet (poor cell service in the area) when the site was blocked by Corp IT (pre-secure changeover). It works just fine now for the lunch break viewings, but I was relegated to my phone for a few months.

I despise the ads, but i know it's inevitable and won't spend the money for the pro version.

djg21
05-20-2017, 03:55 PM
Has anyone tried out Tapatalk Pro? Supposed to be better and ad free. But costs a few $. Tapatalk Pro by Tapatalk
https://appsto.re/us/i8r4I.i

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use it on my iPhone. It works fine, or at least I've not had problems with it. I find it easier to use than Safari on my iPhone. I use it on my iPad for other forums, but Paceline works fine in Safari on my iPad.