PDA

View Full Version : Stronglight Pulsion update...

Rich_W
08-05-2006, 03:47 PM
uuuhhh yeah... they suck... Balls out in the sprint, my right foot came out and then some... this will surely put some lotion in your basket!

http://www.richweinstock.com/bikes/pulsion_failure_1.jpg
http://www.richweinstock.com/bikes/pulsion_failure_2.jpg

Fixed
08-05-2006, 03:56 PM
bro that sucks a lot of cats have them here and they ain't cheap
i hope you are o.k.
cheers

Climb01742
08-05-2006, 03:56 PM
yikes. change that: tres yikes. are you ok?

Rich_W
08-05-2006, 04:00 PM
bro that sucks a lot of cats have them here and they ain't cheap
i hope ypu are o.k.
cheers

bro going back to square taper record cranks until the '07 stuff is out. This happened without warning... no creaking... nothing.

I almost hit the deck.. luckily I dropped to the top tube and managed to stay upright by dragging both feet. I tell you... my BMX years as a wee lad are still paying off.

I was just doing some research on some other sites, and I see that there have been dozens of reported failures... spiders breaking, breaks at the BB joins, pedal threads, and even snapping right in half.

Louis
08-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Maybe that's a little too light, and not enough strong.

Even if they replace the crank (which I assume they will) can you ever trust the replacement after that?

Rich_W
08-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Even if they replace the crank (which I assume they will) can you ever trust the replacement after that?

Hell no... once I get a replacement set... off to palooka-ville (ebay) they will go.

sg8357
08-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Good save.
Notice that the rings don't match up with the spider, sloppy workmanship.

Can I interest you in a Duprat steel crankset ?
Ride what Fausto rode, or at least 07 Centaur, in that miracle material Aluminium. Yeah, I know AL breaks too, but at least I can check it
without a major lab.

This just in......

http://www.surlybikes.com/2006_08_01_blog_archive.html#115476120202611944

Scratch Al cranks too, Duprat here I come.

Scott G.

ada@prorider.or
08-05-2006, 05:33 PM
[QUOTE=Rich_W]uuuhhh yeah... they suck... Balls out in the sprint, my right foot came out and then some... this will surely put some lotion in your basket!
[/QUOTE

there where light though!!!

if i see how its made worries me a lot

i guess no FEA in the factory

Rich_W
08-05-2006, 05:56 PM
there where light though!!!

true that Cees :crap:

obtuse
08-05-2006, 07:12 PM
bro going back to square taper record cranks until the '07 stuff is out. This happened without warning... no creaking... nothing.

I almost hit the deck.. luckily I dropped to the top tube and managed to stay upright by dragging both feet. I tell you... my BMX years as a wee lad are still paying off.

I was just doing some research on some other sites, and I see that there have been dozens of reported failures... spiders breaking, breaks at the BB joins, pedal threads, and even snapping right in half.

rich-
you need to talk to me about this stuff. i would have told you how awful they are.

obtuse

Ahneida Ride
08-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Rich

Glad you are ok .....

Carbon :no: scares the craap outa me.

sw3759
08-06-2006, 11:30 AM
holy crap Rich,i am glad you are ok.that took some real skill and a little luck to keep yourself off the pavement for sure.now tell me you are some huge dude that cranks out megawatts to have the ability to lay waste to a crank like that.
and i officially retract my question why terrytnt did not put carbon crank on his Ottrott...yikes.

stevep
08-06-2006, 12:17 PM
is it strong? or light?
i forget.

DarrenCT
08-06-2006, 03:20 PM
is that a scott cr1 bike? dmt flash shoes? i have the same setup :)

i was also thinking of getting that pulsion crank (until now).

thanks for sharing your experience. im staying w/ dura-ace

have a good ride!

zap
08-06-2006, 03:24 PM
snipped

I tell you... my BMX years as a wee lad are still paying off.

From now on you will be called Robbie.................

But ouch.

Are the Times any better? Aren't they built by Stronglight?

Kahuna
08-06-2006, 04:51 PM
holy crap Rich,i am glad you are ok.that took some real skill and a little luck to keep yourself off the pavement for sure.Yeah, but he didn't say how many other guys he took out! :D

Seriously, those Pulsion cranks are sketchy. Rich is right, too many others have had these things blow apart on them. I wouldn't touch them.

-K

pdxmech13
08-06-2006, 09:03 PM
I am amazed to see shiite like that break.
Its like kids make the stuff and let people risk lives

I know a cat that breaks look and time pedals at
the axles on a regular basis. He looks a little like
Arnold when he won his first Mr Olympia.