PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan Beach (LA) ride route advice?

R332
02-11-2017, 11:08 PM
I will be spending a week in Manhattan Beach and would like to find two or three interesting 30 - 60 mile routes. My plan is to rent a decent road bike (seems like Helen's in Santa Monica is the closest place) and go out for a few solid training rides. I have visited Manhattan Beach a couple of times and it doesn't seem very road bike friendly, plus other than a boring flat ride North/South along the beach, heading East under the 405 looks like the only way to get some miles in. If it makes any difference my rides are likely to be on weekday mornings starting at 7:30am.

Any local advice would be greatly appreciated :beer:

RyanH
02-12-2017, 12:01 AM
You'll want to go south to Palos Verdes which has some great riding. A friend of mine lives in Manhattan Beach and 95% of his rides are in PV. If you want, message me and I can send you a link to his strava so you can see his routes.

mavic1010
02-12-2017, 12:11 AM
If you are looking for a fast training ride, there is always NPR....

heartattackride
02-12-2017, 12:56 AM
There is a Helen's in MB, not sure if they rent. I hear you on the N/S boring part. I lived there for almost 10 years and it was hard to get out some days. Not very exciting but I found I really liked starting at 45th St (most N street) and riding up and down each street for hill repeats +-11% about .4mi each street...did it on my SS...20 years ago :)

gallant
02-12-2017, 01:34 AM
+1 for heading to Palos Verdes. Really scenic routes around the coast and decent climbs. There is a Saturday Donut ride in PV that I think is run by a LBS. You can also just ride along PCH. A bit sketchy in parts but nice to ride along the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
02-12-2017, 07:19 AM
+1 for heading to Palos Verdes. Really scenic routes around the coast and decent climbs. There is a Saturday Donut ride in PV that I think is run by a LBS. You can also just ride along PCH. A bit sketchy in parts but nice to ride along the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lived in Camarillo and the ride from there down the coast to SantaMonica always interesting..Go west to Mugu, maybe up to Ventura..

false_Aest
02-12-2017, 09:33 AM
Palos Verdes has a few routes that are rad' for sure but maybe take a look at stuff up north a little bit. It will require a little bit of driving unless you want to take on some (needless) flat miles.

1. If you do this park near Ocean + San Vicente in Santa Monica. It's free parking all day long.

2. Head up Pacific Coast Highway.

a. Topanga - Old Topanga - Mulholland - Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon - PCH
b. Topanga - Old Topanga - Fernwood - Stunt - Mulholland - Piuma - Fernwood - Topanga - PCH
c. Malibu Canyon - Piuma - Fernwood - Topanga - PCH
d. Latigo - Kanan Dume - Mulholland - Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon - PCH
e. Latigo - Kanan Dume - Mulholland (north) - PCH
f. Latigo - Kanan Dume - PCH
g. PCH - Trancas (get snacks + turn around) - PCH

3. These are all climbing routes and are 3 (Topanga) - 10 (Latigo) miles long. If I recall correctly, the most climbing you'll do is 6,000 feet.

4. Since you'll be riding during the week most of these routes will have lighter traffic.

5. If you're from Flatlandia, I strongly suggest taking 1 day to check out the Santa Monica mountains. The riding is effin' awesome.

6. Helen's has a truck that goes between all their locations. They might drop a bike off at the Manhattan Beach store for you.

7. Bring a stem, saddle + pedals with you when you rent. Last time a friend rented from Helen's she was stuck on an Arione with a 90mm stem and almost 0 saddle-bar drop.

CaptStash
02-13-2017, 12:18 AM
If you can hang with them, the Wheatgrass ride is enormous fun with a great group of riders. I did it last September.

Here is a LINK (https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/south-bay-rides/) to a good list of South Bay rides. the Wheatgrass Ride is about half way down.

CaptStash....

KJMUNC
02-13-2017, 08:04 AM
PV is the best riding close to MB. Lived in MB for 5yrs and that's where all my rides were. Take Valley south to Catalina, then cut through the Torrance Beach neighborhood on Camino Encanto to avoid a busy section of PV drive. Follow PV Dr West around the peninsula....best scenery for a training ride anywhere. It will become PV Dr South at some point but stay on that until you hit PV Dr East, aka "the switchbacks". Nice climb up to the top, then follow the fast, long descent all the way down to PV dr North and hang a left. That will take you back to the starting point on the PV loop, where you can split off and head back north to MB again.

Lots of cyclists on that route, so it's well traveled. That route is around 32mi with 2k feet of climbing so it's a nice test. Many, many variations on that loop too. If you want more climbing, you can bisect the loop using Via del Monte, Hawthorne, or head all the way up to "the domes" on Crest rd above the switchbacks.

Enjoy whatever riding you do....I'll be back in July for a month and can't wait!

Oh, and stay off PCH anywhere in the beach cities....it's a four lane mess. Many parallel streets to get you there without getting out on that mess.

R332
02-13-2017, 01:15 PM
Huge thanks for all the suggestions! Without you guys I would be totally lost.

Helen's in S.M. has the rental bike but good tip that they might be able to transfer it to the M.B. location for me!

Since I will have limited time to ride the goal is to do as many rides as possible from my front door. If I find enough time to drive to the start point in S.M. which of these is the 'must do' that would get me ~50 miles of riding?

b. Topanga - Old Topanga - Fernwood - Stunt - Mulholland - Piuma - Fernwood - Topanga - PCH

My home base will be near Ocean Dr. and 35th St so the suggestion of starting at the North end and doing hill repeats is actually I might try :D

The rides in the link CaptStash posted are very appealing and since they start at "Manhattan Beach Pier (a/k/a Center of the Known Universe, “CotKU”)" I won't get lost on the way to the ride!

Can anyone tell me approx. how long these three rides, either distance and/or expected time/pace? Can an outsider drop-in on the REMR or is it locals only?

Dearly Beloved Cluster**** Of The Ages: The Donut Ride – Saturday @ 8am

Twice-Weekly Ballbuster Before Work: New Pier Ride a/k/a NPR – Tues & Thurs @ 6:40am

If You Show Up Uninvited You Will Be Crushed And Destroyed: The REMR (pronounced “reamer,” a/k/a Really Early Morning Ride) – Thursday 5:30am

PV is the best riding close to MB. Lived in MB for 5yrs and that's where all my rides were. Take Valley south to Catalina, then cut through the Torrance Beach neighborhood on Camino Encanto to avoid a busy section of PV drive. Follow PV Dr West around the peninsula....best scenery for a training ride anywhere. It will become PV Dr South at some point but stay on that until you hit PV Dr East, aka "the switchbacks". Nice climb up to the top, then follow the fast, long descent all the way down to PV dr North and hang a left. That will take you back to the starting point on the PV loop, where you can split off and head back north to MB again.

Lots of cyclists on that route, so it's well traveled. That route is around 32mi with 2k feet of climbing so it's a nice test.

This route sounds like a winner.....if I don't get lost :beer:

KJMUNC
02-13-2017, 02:07 PM
The PV loop is pretty self explanatory when you do it....there are only a couple of major turns so just keep those in mind and you'll be fine.

As for the rises above, I used to drop into the Pier ride and the Donut on occasion and they're all fine with non-regulars. Never did the REMR so can't comment.

Pier ride goes up to LAX and does fast laps around the north side. It's fast and flattish, IIRC its around 28mi and expect 20ish pace.

Donut is basically most of the loop I described above with a foray into San Pedro. It's 42mi from the start in Redondo (so add 10 coming to/from MB) and it's pretty fast, but with climbs. Expect low 20s pace with 3k ft of climbing.bcouole of regroups after climbs and sprints but it's a freaking hammer fest. Great if you want that, but just be aware.

The list of rides above all all great. My all time fave is Latigo/Kanan Dume. Just know that from MB that's a solid 90mi ride. PCH isn't great but it's a necessary evil if you're going up north.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more.

Oh, and if you want something diff than PV and don't want to ride PCH, hit up the Mandeville Cyn ride. If you do it during the week there's limited/no traffic and it's a great 50mi ride from MB. Basically take the bike path north until you get to Venice/SM, then take San Vicente up and cut over to Sunset via Rockingham, which will put you right at the base of Mandeville. Then it's a 5mi slog to the top of increasing gradients from a mild 2% at the bottom to a killer 10% wall at the end. Just be super careful on the descent and don't blow stop signs....that climb has a long history of issues. I've never had any issues riding it and it's one of my favorite in-town routes.

false_Aest
02-13-2017, 02:27 PM
If I find enough time to drive to the start point in S.M. which of these is the 'must do' that would get me ~50 miles of riding?

b. Topanga - Fernwood - Stunt - Mulholland - Piuma - Fernwood - Topanga - PCH

I would do a version of B. 42 miles/5,500' climbing Link (http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1447366657)

Here's the important info:

1. Fill up water + pee at Ocean/San Vicente.

2. If you're low on water by the time you get to Fernwood, stop at the convenience store and top up. Grab snacks too. (They sell good sushi rolls)

3. Fernwood is short but punchy. Take care if it's wet.

4. Don't cross the double line down Stunt.

5a. When you get to Piuma* (https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54a2fc69e4b0ba3f4872d78e/54a30de2e4b0fbd5ffb02bae/54ac7ad7e4b0da465dd5a139/1420590471701/Tolhurst-Portfolio-2014-White2.jpg?format=1000w) from Cold Canyon Rd take a right and look for the covered bench by the Fire Station (image below). You can fill up your water bottles there. Also, eat snacks cuz Piuma is 5 miles.

5b. Now is the time to decide if you want to keep climbing. If you don't think you can handle it, go down Piuma. Take a left at Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon (a little bit of climbing to get out) and you'll eventually find yourself at PCH.

6. At the top of Piuma there is a house on the right that has a water faucet. Use it (see image below).

7. The Tuna Canyon descent is FCUKING AMAZING (70+ turns in about 4 miles) but do NOT get cocky and don't space out. Seriously go slow and enjoy the amazing views.

*Piuma is the peak with the towers right under the moon streak.

PS. Direct message me -- Depending on when you're here I might be able to take a morning off and ride with you.

yonderb0y
02-13-2017, 05:26 PM
If you ride through PV, stop at every stop sign - as in, foot-down, full stop at every one. Unless you really want to make a $300+ donation to the PV PD :eek:

R332
03-28-2017, 11:01 PM
My LA riding starts next week but my schedule has been compressed a bit which will only leave me enough times for rides that start and end near Manhattan Beach. With that in mind can anyone shed some light on these two options?

PV is the best riding close to MB. Lived in MB for 5yrs and that's where all my rides were. Take Valley south to Catalina, then cut through the Torrance Beach neighborhood on Camino Encanto to avoid a busy section of PV drive. Follow PV Dr West around the peninsula....best scenery for a training ride anywhere. It will become PV Dr South at some point but stay on that until you hit PV Dr East, aka "the switchbacks". Nice climb up to the top, then follow the fast, long descent all the way down to PV dr North and hang a left. That will take you back to the starting point on the PV loop, where you can split off and head back north to MB again. Lots of cyclists on that route, so it's well traveled. That route is around 32mi with 2k feet of climbing so it's a nice test.

Is there a Strava map available for this or a variation of it? I am decent with a map but less so with GPS tech ;). 32 miles is a bit short but I could do the loop twice to get in the distance I want.

This ride would be perfect for my schedule!

Twice-Weekly Ballbuster Before Work: New Pier Ride a/k/a NPR – Tues & Thurs @ 6:40am

Can anyone tell me approx. how long the ride is, either distance and/or expected time/pace? Can an outsider drop-in or is it locals only? Is there a ring leader I could contact to ask for permission to ride along?

If anyone wants to make a new out of town riding buddy that would be happy to buy coffee and sweet treats after I am game! Pretty much any morning between 6am to 10am and possibly at a different/later time for one ride during the week.

Cheers

beeatnik
03-29-2017, 01:27 AM
Just show up.

But you can email Seth Davidson, if you want to meet a few of the regulars and get some pointers on the finer points of the fake race.

seth@sethdavidsonlaw.com

R332
03-29-2017, 03:13 PM
Just show up.

But you can email Seth Davidson, if you want to meet a few of the regulars and get some pointers on the finer points of the fake race.

seth@sethdavidsonlaw.com

Much appreciated! I sent a note to Seth so we'll see what comes of it. This early in my season I would be grateful for a fake race rather than a real one ;)

mavic1010
03-29-2017, 08:44 PM
Just stay in the pack and don't follow any squirrels and it'll be a piece of cake for you!

Nags&Ducs
03-29-2017, 11:23 PM
Ahhhh man, I'm feeling nostalgic about my years riding PV, the SMM, and even further north in Ojai/Santa Paula!!!

I echo what others have said about going north to the Santa Monicas. Of all the places I've ridden, save the Dolomites, I have to say that the SM mountains are my favorite. Just way better IMHO than anything I've ridden in PDX/WA, Boulder CO, San D, Vaucluse, or Germany's Schwartzwald! In the SM, my favorite was probably the Fernwood ride (option B in false_Aeist's list). I'm not sure if his B- ride includes the roads Saddle Peak, Schueren, and Rambla Pacifica, but those sections provide incredible scenery and challenges the legs!

Man, I'm crying just thinking about my rides there! :beer:

R332
03-07-2022, 12:45 PM
Bumping my 2017 post find out whats new since the recommendations given here back in 2017 were excellent! I rode the 'Twice-Weekly Ballbuster Before Work: New Pier Ride a/k/a NPR – Tues & Thurs @ 6:40am' and the 'Palos Verdes Saturday Donut Ride'

I will be back in Manhattan Beach in late March for a week of early morning riding and am wondering if these two rides are still happening?

If I end up riding in PV on my own and want to climb to the 'domes', which I think we did on the Donut, is this still the most foolproof set of directions?

PV is the best riding close to MB. Lived in MB for 5yrs and that's where all my rides were. Take Valley south to Catalina, then cut through the Torrance Beach neighborhood on Camino Encanto to avoid a busy section of PV drive. Follow PV Dr West around the peninsula....best scenery for a training ride anywhere. It will become PV Dr South at some point but stay on that until you hit PV Dr East, aka "the switchbacks". Nice climb up to the top, then follow the fast, long descent all the way down to PV dr North and hang a left. That will take you back to the starting point on the PV loop, where you can split off and head back north to MB again. Lots of cyclists on that route, so it's well traveled. That route is around 32mi with 2k feet of climbing so it's a nice test. Many, many variations on that loop too. If you want more climbing, you can bisect the loop using Via del Monte, Hawthorne, or head all the way up to "the domes" on Crest rd above the switchbacks.

I won't be able to go as far north as Topanga, Mulholland, Malibu Canyon, Stunt, Piuma, Latigo, etc (rode there a couple of years ago - awesome) but Mandeville sounds interesting. Is +/-50mi return from the north end of M.B. accurate?

Oh, and if you want something diff than PV and don't want to ride PCH, hit up the Mandeville Cyn ride. If you do it during the week there's limited/no traffic and it's a great 50mi ride from MB. Basically take the bike path north until you get to Venice/SM, then take San Vicente up and cut over to Sunset via Rockingham, which will put you right at the base of Mandeville. Then it's a 5mi slog to the top of increasing gradients from a mild 2% at the bottom to a killer 10% wall at the end. Just be super careful on the descent and don't blow stop signs....that climb has a long history of issues. I've never had any issues riding it and it's one of my favorite in-town routes.

roydyates
03-07-2022, 12:58 PM
Palos Verdes has a few routes that are rad' for sure but maybe take a look at stuff up north a little bit. It will require a little bit of driving unless you want to take on some (needless) flat miles.

1. If you do this park near Ocean + San Vicente in Santa Monica. It's free parking all day long.

2. Head up Pacific Coast Highway.

3. These are all climbing routes and are 3 (Topanga) - 10 (Latigo) miles long. If I recall correctly, the most climbing you'll do is 6,000 feet.

4. Since you'll be riding during the week most of these routes will have lighter traffic.

5. If you're from Flatlandia, I strongly suggest taking 1 day to check out the Santa Monica mountains. The riding is effin' awesome.

6. Helen's has a truck that goes between all their locations. They might drop a bike off at the Manhattan Beach store for you.

7. Bring a stem, saddle + pedals with you when you rent. Last time a friend rented from Helen's she was stuck on an Arione with a 90mm stem and almost 0 saddle-bar drop.

The Palos Verde suggestions are on target if you only have time for 30 something miles, but if you have a car and the time and can drive up the PCH and park near Topanga Canyon Rd, these suggestions are excellent, especially if you want 50-60 miles and 5000-6000+ vertical feet.

PurpleBikeChick
03-07-2022, 04:26 PM

I will be back in Manhattan Beach in late March for a week of early morning riding ... If I end up riding in PV on my own and want to climb to the 'domes', which I think we did on the Donut, is this still the most foolproof set of directions?

I won't be able to go as far north as Topanga, Mulholland, Malibu Canyon, Stunt, Piuma, Latigo, etc (rode there a couple of years ago - awesome) but Mandeville sounds interesting. Is +/-50mi return from the north end of M.B. accurate?

Consider looking at the Beach Cities Cycling Club calendar and joining as a guest if there is a ride that interests you. But there might not be one early enough other than Saturday.

Yes, the prior instructions are fine for circling PV.

But if you have done the switch backs, and want more elevation or harder climbs, instead of turning left at PV Drive east and take a left turn earlier- Forrestal and after a few turns ride on Ganando then left on Crest to the Domes AKA Strava segment " the Big One."

Also instead of going straight down PV Dr East, one can turn left at Crownview AKA 'Crownview the Crown Jewel climb of PV"

If you want a a 49 mile, 4700ish ft ride leaving from Manhattan Beach, PM me and I will try my best make my ride into Strava route that includes La Cuesta, Eastvale (can be skipped as not scenic) Crownview and Forrestal Gando Domes.

cgolvin
03-07-2022, 05:08 PM
If I end up riding in PV on my own and want to climb to the 'domes', which I think we did on the Donut, is this still the most foolproof set of directions?

Yes, those directions are solid. The left turn onto Crest Rd. to access the domes is at the top of the switchback climb on PV East. I can make a RideWithGPS route for you if that helps, just PM me.

I just did a quick one way map from PCH & Rosecrans and I get a hair over 21 miles one way to the top of Mandeville, so a bit less than 50 miles round trip. However, if you're going to schlep all the way up there, Mandeville might disappoint you. It's a nice steady grade for 5 miles but there's neighborhood traffic (on a weekday morning lots of gardeners and other work folk heading up while residents are coming down) and many of the residents are not fond of cyclists.

There are some nice punchy climbs in the Pacific Palisades that, IMO, give better payoff than Mandeville, some stunning views. You'd do pretty much the same trip to Santa Monica as you would for Mandeville, but not have to then head inland for a few miles. Again, happy to help you out with a route.

Finally, for anyone else referencing the thread for a future visit, there are some good recommendations for the Santa Monica mountains but Malibu Canyon is only a last resort and you really don't want to ride on Kanan Dume, trust me.

kitsnob
03-08-2022, 08:46 PM
Bumping my 2017 post find out whats new since the recommendations given here back in 2017 were excellent! I rode the 'Twice-Weekly Ballbuster Before Work: New Pier Ride a/k/a NPR – Tues & Thurs @ 6:40am' and the 'Palos Verdes Saturday Donut Ride'

I will be back in Manhattan Beach in late March for a week of early morning riding and am wondering if these two rides are still happening?

NPR & Doughnut are still going on. And on.
You might also want to reach out to La Grange (Lagrange.org) They are a race oriented team/club.
They have early AM training ride Tues thru Thursday @ 6:30am SHARP (friday is the ez coffee/recovery ride) leaving from the Blue Bottle coffee shop on San Vicente and 26th street (West LA/Santa Monica "border" line)
Tue is the marina ride - flat n fast 27 miles
Wed is Mandeville climb
Thursday is Almafl/Riviera (golf course) Pacific Palisades - hill repeats. 3 laps at tempo/pace
Look here: https://www.lagrange.org/rides

Welcome back, Have fun & Ride Safe!

klasse
03-09-2022, 09:34 AM
For rental, consider Spinlister, Bicycle Ambulance, or renting/borrowing from one of us. What size are you? The route selections sound good from what I read. Personally, I no longer ride up to Fernwood (via PCH and Topanga) but it's real nice once you get there.

I'd probably stick around Manhattan, head South into Palos Verdes.

R332
03-11-2022, 06:25 PM
Thanks again to everyone that has contributed with ideas and tips. I am a week away from being in M.B. and it looks like I will have a few good routes to follow. These three for sure:

-Morning Ballbuster Before Work: New Pier Ride a/k/a NPR route south of LAX for some flat efforts.
-MB south to PV and up the climbs (TBD) for some hills.
-North from MB up the pathway through Santa Monica and then to Mandeville or somewhere else with climbs.

Yes, those directions are solid. The left turn onto Crest Rd. to access the domes is at the top of the switchback climb on PV East. I can make a RideWithGPS route for you if that helps, just PM me.

I just did a quick one way map from PCH & Rosecrans and I get a hair over 21 miles one way to the top of Mandeville, so a bit less than 50 miles round trip. However, if you're going to schlep all the way up there, Mandeville might disappoint you. It's a nice steady grade for 5 miles but there's neighborhood traffic (on a weekday morning lots of gardeners and other work folk heading up while residents are coming down) and many of the residents are not fond of cyclists.

There are some nice punchy climbs in the Pacific Palisades that, IMO, give better payoff than Mandeville, some stunning views. You'd do pretty much the same trip to Santa Monica as you would for Mandeville, but not have to then head inland for a few miles. Again, happy to help you out with a route.

I watched the Drake Deuel KOM video up Mandeville and see what you mean about it being busy. Can I get to the Pacific Palisades climbs without riding on really busy roads like PCH?

cgolvin
03-11-2022, 06:40 PM
I watched the Drake Deuel KOM video up Mandeville and see what you mean about it being busy. Can I get to the Pacific Palisades climbs without riding on really busy roads like PCH?

Yes, your route into Santa Monica can use some bike paths and then normal surface streets. That said, the climbs in the Palisades really demand that you have a programmed route since they're not easily discoverable. If you like I can put together a route for you on ridewithgps, just give me your (rough) starting point and an idea of how much climbing you're after. Word of warning: these climbs are shorter but much more pitchy than Mandeville. Depending on the day and time, I might even be able to meet up and shepherd you. Feel free to DM.