PDA

View Full Version : Weird knee pain

Tickdoc
02-11-2017, 08:34 PM
Been going on over a month now. Gots this movement with pain thing on the outside or lateral edge of my patella of my right knee when my knee bends. I can feel the tendon move past the patella which is a bit weird.

And this is my good knee. I've had acl/mcl surgery on the left knee.

I notice it when I stretch at night, and especially in the first 5-10 min of a ride, then it either lubes up and goes away or I don't notice it.

I still have a little poppy thing on the top of my right foot from where I sprained it in the summer. I wonder if it related to that?

Pain is irritating but manageable. It's not the deep penetrating pain of either the acl or the mcl it's just annoying. I'm just worried it could lead to something else.

Anyone else have something like this pop up Spontaneously?

Ralph
02-11-2017, 08:53 PM
If I ride a bike with seat a tad low. or have cleats to far forward on a shoe, or have toes pointed a little off when I ride. I do better with toes pointed either straight ahead or slightly toed in. Toed out makes me pronate some, and affects all kinds of things. This can be a complicated subject.

sailorboy
02-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Have you considered plica syndrome? That or some part of the retinaculum is swollen/inflamed.

Tickdoc
02-11-2017, 09:02 PM
Have you considered plica syndrome? That or some part of the retinaculum is swollen/inflamed.

No but I'll look it up!

Tickdoc
02-11-2017, 09:05 PM
So I can sit here watching the thunder crying over their cupcake KD, bend my knee, and watch the thing pop-out.

Harrumph.

Luwabra
02-11-2017, 09:16 PM
I had something very similar the bike shop "fit" had my saddle waaay too far fwd. once I did my own fit w the kops method. Resolution.

Tickdoc
02-11-2017, 09:22 PM
I had something very similar the bike shop "fit" had my saddle waaay too far fwd. once I did my own fit w the kops method. Resolution.

I had a good fitting about six years ago, and have just memorized the settings and transferred them over for the most part from bike to bike.

I mean it could've changed, but I've had this pain on three different bikes and two different shoes.

I may just be getting old. I got back into riding to rehab my knee. I hope it's nothing serious, or doesn't lead to something serious like the plica seems it could be.

shovelhd
02-11-2017, 09:53 PM
Have you been riding inside on a smart trainer a lot recently?

KSCycling
02-11-2017, 09:59 PM
I too had cal surgery on my left knee and my right knee gave me lots of trouble when I ran. It's an IT band issue that I could not overcome and thus I took up cycling.

My issue is a bit different from yours. I have pain in my right hamstring right where the hamstring connects with the knee. It's not a debilitating pain, the pain is mostly just a nagging pain. The nagging pain normally comes when I've been putting down consistent hard power, but eventually the pain goes away. The pain goes away even during the high intensity power! When I do experience pain, it feels like a strained muscle.

I've had a bike fit with a 3D machine, so I know I'm all good there. Any ideas what this could be??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KSCycling
02-11-2017, 10:00 PM
"ACL surgery" not cal

timnem70
02-11-2017, 10:42 PM
I had a pair of cheap shoes and had the exact same thing. I have never had any issues so I'd assume with your list of ailments, it'd be what Ralph said or a combination of the two.

Galaxy S7 Edge

Tickdoc
02-11-2017, 10:43 PM
Have you been riding inside on a smart trainer a lot recently?

No, I don't think so. I don't even know what a smart trainer is.

Tickdoc
02-11-2017, 10:45 PM
I too had cal surgery on my left knee and my right knee gave me lots of trouble when I ran. It's an IT band issue that I could not overcome and thus I took up cycling.

My issue is a bit different from yours. I have pain in my right hamstring right where the hamstring connects with the knee. It's not a debilitating pain, the pain is mostly just a nagging pain. The nagging pain normally comes when I've been putting down consistent hard power, but eventually the pain goes away. The pain goes away even during the high intensity power! When I do experience pain, it feels like a strained muscle.

I've had a bike fit with a 3D machine, so I know I'm all good there. Any ideas what this could be??

Do your stretch post-ride?

JOrange
02-12-2017, 12:32 AM
Hmmm, dang that sucks! I had knee issues similar to yours, but I changed my pedals to a one of those fancy +4mm Shimano axle pedals, and haven't had them since.

oldpotatoe
02-12-2017, 05:58 AM
Been going on over a month now. Gots this movement with pain thing on the outside or lateral edge of my patella of my right knee when my knee bends. I can feel the tendon move past the patella which is a bit weird.

And this is my good knee. I've had acl/mcl surgery on the left knee.

I notice it when I stretch at night, and especially in the first 5-10 min of a ride, then it either lubes up and goes away or I don't notice it.

I still have a little poppy thing on the top of my right foot from where I sprained it in the summer. I wonder if it related to that?

Pain is irritating but manageable. It's not the deep penetrating pain of either the acl or the mcl it's just annoying. I'm just worried it could lead to something else.

Anyone else have something like this pop up Spontaneously?

I am NOT any sort of fit guy/PT guy/MD guy BUT..I started have a sore knee, kinda out of the blue and my fit guy at the shop recommended 'new stuff'..since nothing else changed, distances, style, etc.. So..new shoes, cleats and pedals(SP Zero) and taa-daa..knee pain gone. Probably cleats/pedals would have done it(altho the Sidi Genius 5s were about 12 years old and tired).

I've got a email in for a neutron spoke..which side, Clincher or tubular?

KSCycling
02-12-2017, 06:07 AM
Do your stretch post-ride?

Normally I just stretch pre ride.. foam roller once a week when I'm sitting around the house. Do you think a post ride would make huge difference?

Tickdoc
02-12-2017, 06:55 AM
I am NOT any sort of fit guy/PT guy/MD guy BUT..I started have a sore knee, kinda out of the blue and my fit guy at the shop recommended 'new stuff'..since nothing else changed, distances, style, etc.. So..new shoes, cleats and pedals(SP Zero) and taa-daa..knee pain gone. Probably cleats/pedals would have done it(altho the Sidi Genius 5s were about 12 years old and tired).

I've got a email in for a neutron spoke..which side, Clincher or tubular?

Drive side, Nancy clincher ;~)

I'll check w the guy who did my original fit. thanks!

Tickdoc
02-12-2017, 06:58 AM
Normally I just stretch pre ride.. foam roller once a week when I'm sitting around the house. Do you think a post ride would make huge difference?

well, like Peter said, I'm no expert, but our hammies get so tight that it couldn't hurt, bc it sounds like that is where yours is. Just bending over stretches the hamstring out good, but lifting your toes or grabbing your feet and lifting them up from sitting really stretches them across their whole length.

Black Dog
02-12-2017, 07:18 AM
Get a copy. Seriously good information.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51f-2cu5RbL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

KSCycling
02-12-2017, 07:10 PM
Get a copy. Seriously good information.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51f-2cu5RbL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Thanks! Thanks everyone