PDA

View Full Version : The Benefits of Getting an Icy Start to the Day - The New York Times

ORMojo
02-11-2017, 01:10 PM
This article is almost a year old, but I just came across it recently, and while not entirely new to me, it inspired me to give this a try while in DC last month. I'm now a believer and follow this routine every morning - ending my shower by reducing the temperature to full cold over about 30 seconds and then standing in the cold shower for 2 full minutes. FWIW, I know that the incoming cold water temperature at this time of year at our house is 52-54 degrees.

The Benefits of Getting an Icy Start to the Day - The New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/15/business/the-benefits-of-getting-an-icy-start-to-the-day.html

It’s 6 a.m. in Park City, Utah. I’m in the shower. I go through all the typical shower rituals — I wash behind my ears, shave, and more — until I’m ready to get out. I grab the handle for the water, pause, take a deep breath and then turn it.

I don’t turn it off, but to all-the-way cold. Then I stand there shivering for two minutes. It’s the 23rd day in a row that I’ve done this. If you’re like most people — including myself, sometimes — you’re probably wondering why.

I’ve known about the benefits of taking cold showers for a long time. Many of you are probably familiar with some of the science. You may have read about it in Tim Ferriss’s book, “The 4-Hour Body,” or seen it in a Fast Company article.

A quick trip to Google Scholar will also reveal a smattering of academic papers about the benefits of cold-water therapy, including weight loss stimulation, increased circulation and stress reduction. Taking a cold shower may even serve as a potential antidepressant, according to a 2008 study published by the National Institutes of Health.

But I’ve discovered that the biggest benefit I get from taking cold showers isn’t any of the wonderful things listed above (I’ve noticed many of them, though). The thing that most draws me to the cold water is also the thing that most repels me: It’s really hard to do.

Even though I know all the research, understand the benefits, and feel great every single time I do it (at least immediately afterward), it’s still hard. Not just hard, but really hard. And maybe even a little bit scary, if I think too hard about how it’s going to feel every time I reach for the handle.

Both from the scientific work I’ve read and from my own personal experience, I know it will be beneficial. I even know that I’ll be glad I did it right afterward. And yet, there is still this daunting gap between knowing I want to (and should) take the cold shower and actually doing it.

And that, in a nutshell, is the biggest reason to do it (with the caveat that if there is a water shortage in your area, you should find something else to do that is hard). It reminds me a little bit of that Mark Twain saying, “Eat a live frog first thing in the morning, and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.” I’m not suggesting that taking a cold shower in the morning will make sticking to your budget in the afternoon trivial by comparison. That’s not the point.

The point is that starting your morning by tackling challenges head-on will help encourage similar behavior throughout the day. And, it turns out, there’s a wealth of research to back up this idea as well. People who do hard things first tend to procrastinate less and get more done, according to Brian Tracy’s book, “Eat That Frog.”

It’s important to note that it’s not just about taking cold showers, it’s also about doing it in the morning. Consider that a one-two punch. According to the Florida State University psychology researcher Roy Baumeister, one of the leading experts on willpower, “The longer people have been awake, the more self-control problems happen.” In other words, if you wait until the evening to take your cold shower, there’s a greater chance you just won’t do it. Not to mention that it nullifies the whole idea of getting your day started on the right foot. So don’t just do it, do it in the morning.

The world is full of hard and scary things. We are at our best when we can tackle them bravely and confidently, not when we are accustomed to shying away. Set your alarm for two minutes earlier, get in the shower and before you turn it off, put it on cold. Think of it, quite literally, as stepping out of your comfort zone. It may be really hard, but just remember that most good things are.

Cicli
02-11-2017, 01:59 PM
Nah.

2wheelwill
02-11-2017, 06:51 PM
Fascinating....but still ain't gonna do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thwart
02-11-2017, 07:09 PM
Probably a bit easier to try this first in July rather than in the depths of cold 'n dark February.

SlackMan
02-11-2017, 07:31 PM
I've done the cold shower thing (even in the winter) involuntarily many times when the water heaters for the showers where I worked (across multiple employers) were down for some reason. After riding in to the office in near freezing temps, it certainly takes a strong act of the will to jump into a cold shower, and the rest of my day was perhaps less challenging, but I was so, so very happy when the water heaters were repaired.

Dead Man
02-11-2017, 09:24 PM
Probably a bit easier to try this first in July rather than in the depths of cold 'n dark February.

But wouldn't even colder water work even better?

Black Dog
02-11-2017, 10:43 PM
This whole thing sounds like banging your head against a wall :crap:. Seems to feel good when you stop...just that normal feels way better than uncomfortable. Having been though ice and into freezing water, I can say been there done that. I have enough natural discomfort in my life that I need not seek out an artificial replacement. :help:

ORMojo
02-11-2017, 11:15 PM
^This response, and the tone of a few others, seems to be only in response to the "do something difficult" part of the NYT article. It seems to lack deeper reading/research/understanding of the physiological benefits that have been pretty conclusively determined.

I'll admit that the NYT article focuses on "It’s really hard to do" . . . perhaps too much. But (aside from the potential/probable mental and physical benefits of that aspect), there is so much more in real physical benefits to be gained, not just "Seems to feel good when you stop."

Lastly, I'll ask, rhetorically, have you experienced this for yourself? Have you stuck to a regimen of cold showers for at least a month to see if there is anything to it, for you? You say "I can say been there done that" but it actually doesn't sound like that is so, unless you have intentionally done this, with an open mind, over an extended period of time. Like I said, a rhetorical question.

I have. That is entirely why I waited over a month before posting this. The experience has been meaningful and beneficial to me, and might be for others here. To resort to a cliche, don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

Black Dog
02-11-2017, 11:43 PM
^This response, and the tone of a few others, seems to be only in response to the "do something difficult" part of the NYT article. It seems to lack deeper reading/research/understanding of the physiological benefits that have been pretty conclusively determined.

I'll admit that the NYT article focuses on "It’s really hard to do" . . . perhaps too much. But (aside from the potential/probable mental and physical benefits of that aspect), there is so much more in real physical benefits to be gained, not just "Seems to feel good when you stop."

Lastly, I'll ask, rhetorically, have you experienced this for yourself? Have you stuck to a regimen of cold showers for at least a month to see if there is anything to it, for you? You say "I can say been there done that" but it actually doesn't sound like that is so, unless you have intentionally done this, with an open mind, over an extended period of time. Like I said, a rhetorical question.

I have. That is entirely why I waited over a month before posting this. The experience has been meaningful and beneficial to me, and might be for others here. To resort to a cliche, don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

Not trying to toss insults here, I was responding to the tone of the article as you suggested not the science. I would love to read some peer reviewed papers that show significant physiological changes as the result of such a regime.

Dead Man
02-11-2017, 11:47 PM
Yea.. I've read the article 3 times now and I still can't seem to understand the A to B to C of this.... so I take cold showers, and..... what am I supposed to expect, exactly?

colker
02-12-2017, 04:09 AM
Yea.. I've read the article 3 times now and I still can't seem to understand the A to B to C of this.... so I take cold showers, and..... what am I supposed to expect, exactly?

Better health. For sure.

daker13
02-12-2017, 05:05 AM
I think it sounds dope, ORMojo. I'm adding it to the lengthy list of things I want to try in this life.

stephenmarklay
02-12-2017, 05:22 AM
I jumped on the band wagon some years ago and I take cold showers fairly often now. However, I normally do it at the gym after the sauna. At that point if feels great. During the summer months I do it most days.

There are some mood altering benefits for me no doubt. I think that the article is hinting at what most people call the hormetic effect of the stressor.

There have been some studies recently pointing to some potential negatives as well.

It appears that after exercise the cold water reduces inflammation and hence the adaptive response to the stress. At least in as much as muscle growth but perhaps not muscle strength.

I have also used cold shower after a particularly hard workout or ride. The last time I did a Gran Fondo and cramped from about 30 miles in for example. The cold shower (long 20-30 minutes) really helps reduce inflammation. But again the adaptive response. Pic our poison I guess.

It does appear that chronic inflammation is getting a lot of attention in the medical community and blamed for just about everything. If this is true then I can see cold immersion as a helpful therapy.

oldpotatoe
02-12-2017, 05:40 AM
On thing common in the USN was only cold water or no water at all(water hours on the old oil burners)...so, no thanks, don't care if it's 'good for me' or not.:)

Black Dog
02-12-2017, 07:34 AM
Better health. For sure.

That is a bold claim, and not just because I bolded it. Placebos of all sorts make people feel better. What metric beyond "feeling" better would one expect in term of health?

giverdada
02-12-2017, 08:03 AM
Sounds terrible, but worth a try.

Reason: I've got a saying - If it ain't hard, it probably ain't worth doing.

Caveat: **** has been really damn hard of late, and I'm running out of motivation to keep all of these plates spinning, so I must have made that saying up for myself when I had the luxury of doing a very few things that were only nominally difficult.

Things I would take from the article: doing hard things is good for us (agreed); we live in lots of luxuries so intentionally reducing one is a good reminder of some of our fortune (assumed, but likely); consistency (huge); the magic of the morning.

There was a naval officer who gave a graduation address a while back that my Grandmother steered me to, and his address bore a simple message of consistently doing small tasks first thing in the day. His example was to make the bed. His claim was that the doing of the small thing would cascade into all kinds of mindset and emotional and motivational momentum that would make a lot of the other things in the day much more likely to get done. I think he emphasized the 'every day' part a lot too. Consistency is a huge thing for me, and as I round out the first 50 days of my running streak, most of it occurring in the dark first hours of the morning, I must say it does pay dividends. I wish I could run myself into cash money or out of debt or put the miles between my lady and her injury, but I can't. So maybe some would argue it's less literally useful. And maybe it is. But consistently showing up to be a better person, in the dark, and the cold, and the salt, and the ice, first thing in the morning does kinda make other stuff seem a little more doable. Of course, I always come back to a mostly warm shower (depending on when the neighbour gets up to flush...)!

Now, the more important question: will cold showering for a month straight make my hair start growing back? :crap:

Black Dog
02-12-2017, 08:33 AM
Sounds terrible, but worth a try.

Reason: I've got a saying - If it ain't hard, it probably ain't worth doing.

Caveat: **** has been really damn hard of late, and I'm running out of motivation to keep all of these plates spinning, so I must have made that saying up for myself when I had the luxury of doing a very few things that were only nominally difficult.

Things I would take from the article: doing hard things is good for us (agreed); we live in lots of luxuries so intentionally reducing one is a good reminder of some of our fortune (assumed, but likely); consistency (huge); the magic of the morning.

There was a naval officer who gave a graduation address a while back that my Grandmother steered me to, and his address bore a simple message of consistently doing small tasks first thing in the day. His example was to make the bed. His claim was that the doing of the small thing would cascade into all kinds of mindset and emotional and motivational momentum that would make a lot of the other things in the day much more likely to get done. I think he emphasized the 'every day' part a lot too. Consistency is a huge thing for me, and as I round out the first 50 days of my running streak, most of it occurring in the dark first hours of the morning, I must say it does pay dividends. I wish I could run myself into cash money or out of debt or put the miles between my lady and her injury, but I can't. So maybe some would argue it's less literally useful. And maybe it is. But consistently showing up to be a better person, in the dark, and the cold, and the salt, and the ice, first thing in the morning does kinda make other stuff seem a little more doable. Of course, I always come back to a mostly warm shower (depending on when the neighbour gets up to flush...)!

Now, the more important question: will cold showering for a month straight make my hair start growing back? :crap:

This is the truth, the more you do something the easier it is to do. Becomes habit. As for the hair, I thing that I would need a few more cold showers than you!! :p

Sometimes a very small break can help boost the motivation. Just hang in there until the sun comes back!!!