PDA

View Full Version : Don't be mad ... CX clincher tire suggestions?

djg
08-05-2006, 02:52 PM
I've been out of racing for quite some time. Family and work obligations mean that a return to road racing in the next couple of years is unlikely. But I bought a CX frame because, well, I wanted one ... and because I thought I might be able to try a few cross races (I don't think it's easy at all, I just think it's more saleable, and that I'd mind less stinking in cross off the back than I would mind getting shelled in a 98 degree Virginia summer crit).

So I know that there's a strong preference for tubbies out there, but my initial build is going to use clincher wheels that I already have. Any tire suggestions? I'm thinking--from a complete position of ignorance--that I might get a couple of sets. Basically, one for riding around, and hard courses, and another for wet conditions.

fstrthnu
08-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Michelin is THE clincher tire.

Fstrthnu

ericspin
08-05-2006, 07:00 PM
I use TUFO tubeless clinchers on my CX and looooove them.

coylifut
08-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Don't forget the Vittoria EVO XG cross. In fact, if I was limited to one set of tires these would be it. Although, 90% of the time I use tubulars, I like and ride the Michelin Mud 2s, but they don't shed mud that well and become deathly slick and slow when transfering from mud to pavement. Where they work the best is off camber grass.

The EVOs on the other hand have a tread pattern that mimicks the Grifo and Dugast tires. They are so much faster than the Muds. The advantage they have over the Tufo is that they have a side knob and will handle off camber far better than a Tufo. Also, the casing is really supple. They do run narrow, so get the 34. My only complaint is the color. Here's a link.

http://cyclocrossworld.stores.yahoo.net/vicrxgpro70.html

shinomaster
08-06-2006, 12:38 PM
I just found an almost new used pair of the old green mud tires at a second hand bike shop for $12. They must have come off a commuter bike. THey were dirty but the treads were brand new. Why do people like the old muds better?

coylifut
08-06-2006, 07:03 PM
I just found an almost new used pair of the old green mud tires at a second hand bike shop for $12. They must have come off a commuter bike. THey were dirty but the treads were brand new. Why do people like the old muds better?

because they're green

Too Tall
08-07-2006, 06:37 AM
Talk to me about the Tufo C Diamond D28 Tubular Clincher.
That look juuuuuust right for a guy who might want to bomb some dirt / gravel cow paths in sketchy conditions eh? Sidewalls are designed for 90 psi and fast running tread. hmmmmm.

Bruce K
08-07-2006, 07:14 AM
As an all-around cross tire, I have discovered Schwalbe Racing Ralphs.

Great tread pattern, good durability.

I like them better than Michelin Muds except in the sloppiest conditions.

Michelin Jets at the Dirt Road Ramble.

BK

coylifut
08-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Talk to me about the Tufo C Diamond D28 Tubular Clincher.
That look juuuuuust right for a guy who might want to bomb some dirt / gravel cow paths in sketchy conditions eh? Sidewalls are designed for 90 psi and fast running tread. hmmmmm.

I'd never ever want to mount one of those in the field.

scottyj
12-30-2006, 03:09 AM
Ask your local racers different tires work better in different places, soil types, etc. It also depends on your bike handling ability, I like to run the slickest things I can stay upright on you'll slash enough in a season of racing to have the chance to try at least a few different ones.
Try looking at pictures of the start lines from your local series last year, run the popular ones, they're popular for a reason.